Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Can-Am Maverick X3
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got myself a Samsung Tablet S5e for GPS navigation. What would be a good case? Otterbox or Saraha that will be dust proof and somewhat moisture resistant? TIA

·
Registered
168 Posts
Following, just bought the same tablet and I arrived tomorrow. I planned on using it for the BMT trip in September and backcountry navigator app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Can-Am Maverick X3
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Otterbox is more expensive but I have used their phone cases and they did well but just that alone isn't enough to sway my mind. Trying to see if Sahara is going to be better for this application.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I have a Poetic Revolution case on my Samsung 10" Tablet. Its shock resistant however not water proof. I simply put the Tablet in a Ziplock baggy to protect it from the mud and water. Works well for me.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Found this one, pricey but could not find it anywhere else, only at the Armor-x site. I just ordered it, thinks it’s coming from Europe. Let you know when it arrives if it’s worth the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
744 Posts
Otterbox is more expensive but I have used their phone cases and they did well but just that alone isn't enough to sway my mind. Trying to see if Sahara is going to be better for this application.
Will you mount your tablet and if so, how? Finding cases/sleeves compatible with tablet holders might be a problem. I'm using combo of Google Nexus 9 tablet (4:3 aspect ratio running proprietary Esri ArcGIS mapping) in an Amzer silicon protector on a ProClip holder with RAM ball mount. Actually, I have two of those combos, in my MavT and newer Jeep Rubicon. No issues nor need for waterproofing the tablet. I just remove it from the ProClip mount when spraying out the interior post rides. No need to remove or turn off in light to moderate rain.

ProClip makes this holder for your Samsung, noting its intended for the "bare device". Likewise for my Nexus 9, however I trimmed the silicon away adjacent to ProClip retention fingers to ensure a secure fit.

Nexus 9 & Garmin GPSMap276cx.JPG

·
Registered
2017 CanAm X3 XRS
78 Posts
Does your Nexus have a cellular antennae in it? I have 2 nexus tablets so I am curious who good the gps is in it when out in BFE because I am thinking about using mine for a gps.

·
Registered
744 Posts
^^^ Yes, GPS enabled w/o wifi connection...

I bought a Google Nexus 7 (by Asus) originally, which worked well for the mentioned maps. Liked that but wanted larger screen. The Google Nexus 9 (by HTC) is stated to have GPS functionality better than most (as outlined here) plus good screen brightness, resolution and 4:3 aspect ratio for optimal map imaging. I liked the first one enough that I bought another for same combo. Discontinued some time ago, however new or refurb units are still out there from a few eBay sellers. Depending on map file size(s) plus other data storage planned, I'd suggest the 32GB version.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm using an amazon unicorn beetle for my Galaxy Tab 8. Cheap ish and doesn't cover the camera so that's a water ingress. But when I did drive through rain it was ok, but it was more hail than rain. I might look at using my ipad some day. But really I'm not watching the tablet much while driving.

·
Registered
2020 Can-Am Maverick X3
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am using the can-am one to hold the tablet in place. Installed and looks secure enough?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Been happy with all my otterbox cases. I will use another one if I replace my tablet

·
Registered
744 Posts
I am using the can-am one to hold the tablet in place. Installed and looks secure enough?
If yours is the one imaged below, you'll be able to determine if your new tablet fits well with or without an outer case. Can-Am's product description lacks max device size that will fit, however I read one user's comment on RMATV that a tablet up to 10" works. If that's the true limit, seems anything but thin silicone sleeves would be too bulky. That device holder design looks clever, although seems might block the frontal view with largest tablet that fits?

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR
74 Posts
If yours is the one imaged below, you'll be able to determine if your new tablet fits well with or without an outer case. Can-Am's product description lacks max device size that will fit, however I read one user's comment on RMATV that a tablet up to 10" works. If that's the true limit, seems anything but thin silicone sleeves would be too bulky. That device holder design looks clever, although seems might block the frontal view with largest tablet that fits?

I have an iPad Air 3 (10.5”) in the tablet holder and it fits no problem. I’m using the Unicorn Beetle case from Amazon.

·
Registered
2020 Can-Am Maverick X3
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

That is what I have but what I want to do is make sure it is protected from dust and any water that is splashing around or rain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts