Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading and reading, mostly RZR forums for probably a year now. Then Can Am comes out with the Maverick. Now question if you set in a Maverick you instantly feel the quality of the build. The overall appearance of Can Am sxs blow away the look/feel of a RZR. I'm a big Honda fan but the new Pioneer is still more utility. Price wise the XRS and RZR XP900 LE are close.
After reading the RZR forums, It seems like all the guys who own RZR's complain about problems. (is this because they are probably 10 to 1 can am owners? Or are they just that cheaply made or badly abused?)
I've been keeping up with this forum and it seems besides the clutch exploding and can am trying to make it right, there doesn't seem to be as much bitching with Maverick owners? With these things really costing as much as a nice car, it's such a steep purchase to buy a POS. The guys who had owned RZR's and switched don't seem to regret.
I live on the east coast and ride mountain and wood trails. Seems like they say the Maverick is more nimble. Then you read where Dirt Wheels always say the RZR900 is the most fun sxs to drive? (are they getting paid by PoPo?) just got a Dirt Traxx magazine and it has more of an unbiased opinions.
Anyway, Like most this isn't a decision to make lightly. I'm just looking for peoples opinions on what about the Maverick and not the Polaris that "sold" you on it. Is it the chevy/ford debate, or is the quality that much better in 1 than the other? Thanks for reading and any suggestions.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Dude all you have to do is ride them side by side and you will have your answer. I have driven my buddies polarises many times and am alway thankfull I spent the little extra and got the Mav> the only opinion that counts is yours, so get some seat time so your comfortable with your choice. Good luck

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
It sounds to me that you've done your research and you already know the right answer! The Mavs frame, engine, ergonomics, etc, etc are soooo much better than the rzr!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Trails for your area going to require 4x4. Also consider crappy 4wd front differential in Mav (my opinion). That kept me from upgrading my beater 2010 S rzr to the Maverick... so I'm still waiting until 2014... maybe they'll fix that + clutch so I don't have to dump another $1-2k on new out of the box machine. Also considered wildcat X ... but with the cat history of engine problems, oil leaks and lack of quality control... the X still needs time IMO.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own both, I think they both are great rigs. I bought a first year rzr xp knowing that it was risky business, so far the only issues I have had with my rzr are lower ball joints, the speed sensor( which does not affect the drive ability, but sometimes my speedo goes a little crazy.), and the lower radius rods in the rear. The radius rods are the lowest point on the rig and probably the most flimsy as well so it's easy to clear a rock or stump up front then end up snagging it in the rear. As far as the maverick goes, again I have bought a first model year rig. But the XRS is a sweet sweet piece of machinery. Like you said fit, finish, ergonomics are the best there is. The rotax power plant is and always has been extremely impressive. Maverick is bigger, faster, stronger in all areas. If say if you are gonna make the investment, the maverick is a much better starting point. Remember the initial purchase is only half of the investment. It's the customizing that really gets the bank account. And trust me you will dump easily 5-10 thousand doll hairs, just trying to make your xp comparable to a stock Mav. The only thing I have to bitch about with canam is that in my experience , dealership support is lacking to the point of lost customers. Where as my popo guys have always been awesome to work with. Either will make you happy but an xp at this point will put you behind the times.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Factor in the pros vs cons against the Mav and the Popo and there is no comparison. I don't care what anyone says. It's a better bike in every aspect except for the front dif and that's a fact!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was really unhappy about the front diff at first but to tell you the truth I havent needed the qe yet and probably wont. For my style of riding the stocker is fine. But if I do need it I can always swap it in. One of my buddies that has an xp already has worn out wheel bearings in only a few hundred miles, squeaks like crazy, you rub shoulders when you ride 2 with no room whatsoever, very uncomfortable seats, crappy instrumentation, weak cage, no rebound adj. on the shocks, old design, hood cover that has to be zip tied down or flys off, plastic steering wheel. On and on.

Reactions: Glamisfan

·
Registered
614 Posts
I really wanted to get a wildcat X but i just couldn't because of all the engine problems. The RZR was just old, the mav is soooo much nicer. The interior and handling are so much better. The only question about the mav is the stock primary and they are working on that, to me there is nothing else than needs to be repaced. It's just how you want to personalize your machine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Also factor in that Polaris should be due to upgrade soon so you don't want stuck with the old model

·
Registered
806 Posts
I concur. LOL! Sorry whatha.

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's all good bro haha. I just heard them say it on a movie once now I say it all the time to sound smart or something.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Like someone already said; it's like kia vs. mercedes. All of the available machines have an issue or two but your original post already identified alot of the differences and so far I've been glad I bought a Mav instead of an XP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts