Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two sxs's, so I built this rack to haul one on top of the pickup. Also great for an out of town trip if its just me (gets around Cali's 55 mph speed limit when towing). I bolted two 2x2"x.120" tubes in the bed, that each have two kickers going down to the bed. The 2x2's also stab into the stock ladder rack pockets, so the weight is shared by the kickers and the bed. Plus, by tying into the ladder rack pockets, a lot less steel is needed in the bed. I then used 1x3x.065" tubing and 1 1/4 .120 wall angle and built two separate racks (left and right). Each weights a little over a hundred pounds, so I can lift them up onto the bed by myself. Four bolts hold each one on, and it takes about 5-10 minutes to put them on or take them off. On the 1x3" I asked for .083 wall, but they gave me .065". But the .065" is working out fine, and keeps the weight down. It fits my wife's rzr4, my Mav, and it'll fit a sxs up to 76" wide so it should be future proofed! I also used some 1 3/4 .095" round tubing where all the tires rest.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Interesting...Looking at your rig, maybe I'm over engineering this whole thing.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Great design. I like how simple it is because the use of the ladder rack holes. A lot of thinking went into that thing. Very nice job!

If it can't play, it can't stay!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Great looking. someone needs to make this for resale. It does look like u could use some air bags in the rear.
I believe he does have rear airbags. Look at the change in ride height in the different pictures.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's some pics of my trucks suspension, and some pictures that I got off of Google that I used for ideas on how to build my rack.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is great. I hope you do not mind, but I am going to use your design, it is well thought out and practical. Do you attach the ramps at the tailgate bar too, I see the holes in the side, but it almost looks like it is just resting on the bar support at the back of the bed.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I welded a plate to the rack that sticks out past it, and then I drilled some holes in it. Then I drilled and tapped the aluminum ramps and put screws in. I don't bolt the aluminum ramps down. The screws just act like pins to secure the aluminum ramps to the rack.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Your a true craftsmen!.. But doesn't it feel unstable when your rolling? I have a buddy that has an aftermarket unit for Quads that is basically a diamond plate toneau cover and you drive 2 quads up from the side but he never installed it so I don't know how it would feel with the xtra weight on it.

Myron

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gracias. It doesn't feel unstable at all. Just think of a pickup with a big old camper set on the back. I've never been in 1, but this probably ride better than that would.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I like it except for I think it would benefit from one more piece of triangulation. Looking at it from the rear it seems like it would benefit from an 'X' brace at the front which would bo from the left front bed stake to the upper right ramp as well as another piece on the other side to form an 'X'. Those 2 pieces of metal would make it much stronger which I think it needs just a bit more during any tight turns. Wouldn't add much more weight or take much more assembly time to bolt on. As far as weight support I think you're spot on. When you break it down the front tires only apply about 600 lbs each when loaded and the rears would be about 700 lbs assuming a full tank and maybe an ice chest. That's really not that much weight to hold up but when you speed around a corner the forces that are applied left to right all the way up at the top would probably surprise you.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
would you mind doing like a drawing and all the materials you used? i think im gonna have this built for my f250 instead of pulling my 18ft trailer everywhere

1 - 17 of 17 Posts