Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently bought a can am maverick. Snorkeled er put all my goodies on and i was recently doing a river crossing and of course i found the only hole. I was lucky enough to keep my air intakes out of the water, however my clutch and breathers took in a little of water. Without thinking about the diffs or gearbox we drained my clutch and started making our way back to the truck. About halfway back i started smelling burning gear oil so we stopped and towed me back in nuetrel. the next day i had some oil leaking on to my skid plate. I dropped it off at my local dealer to diagnose. Im just looking for the best and worst case scenerios here as to what kind of bill i could have.

·
Premium Member
8,277 Posts
Ouch! You guys really run these machines hard. I would suggest extending the front and rear diff, gearcase and crankcase breathers up high with you intakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
was definitly gear oil, breathers were attached to the rear snorkels and ran up right to the top, so they sat about six inches from the roof. The crossing definitly wasnt that deep going across but coming back i seemed to find the onyl hole lmao.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lol, that happens.

It's probably just a seal. Water always seems to find it's way into the diffs and gearcase. Once the additional water gets in there, the seals tend to leak.
But, you said that the breathers and clutch took on water? How'd you manage to get water in those, but not the intake? Just curious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hopefully, i was hoping i didnt blow my gearbox up or something retarded like that lol. there was a hill on the other side of the hole so when i made it up it was enoiugh angle to dip my rear end in and slide me sideways even farther in while my front tires still maintaned traction on what little ground i had on top of me. My profile picture shows it all you can just see my front end up in the air and my head and some of my roof have dissapeared. lol. quite the ride, and it makes me very sad to say i had to get rescued by a rzr lmao.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hopefully, i was hoping i didnt blow my gearbox up or something retarded like that lol. there was a hill on the other side of the hole so when i made it up it was enoiugh angle to dip my rear end in and slide me sideways even farther in while my front tires still maintaned traction on what little ground i had on top of me. My profile picture shows it all you can just see my front end up in the air and my head and some of my roof have dissapeared. lol. quite the ride, and it makes me very sad to say i had to get rescued by a rzr lmao.
Prob just got some water in one of the diffs. Any time this happens the oil has to come out the vent. Wouldn't worried about it..

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you take it in to the dealer, they may try to void your warranty because you modified it with snorkels.. Once you do that your saying "HEY LOOK AT ME, I GO DEEP".. The manual clearly says not to cross deep water and many dealers will deny warranty claims if you blatantly do things that they dont want u to do... Hope u just need to freshen up the fluids and keep rolling...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys appreciate it. Got a call from the dealer all was goold just needed to swap the fluids.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you take it in to the dealer, they may try to void your warranty because you modified it with snorkels.. Once you do that your saying "HEY LOOK AT ME, I GO DEEP".. The manual clearly says not to cross deep water and many dealers will deny warranty claims if you blatantly do things that they dont want u to do... Hope u just need to freshen up the fluids and keep rolling...
This really depends on where you live. Most dealers down south know whats up when it comes to snorkels. Its just the way it flys down here. In Canada I'm sure they are use to seeing snorkels too considering the deep holes they ride. Honestly I myself and some of the dealers I know consider them to be good "insurance" against unexpected things. Not everybody rides flat and dry roads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts