Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally new to UTVs so please bear with me. Just bought a Maverick Sport Max (2021). Very happy with it so far. I'm trying to do as much reading through the forums to learn the ins/outs and recommended setups.

I've read in several places that suspension comes low (and often out of whack) from factory and needs to be setup correctly. Some quick measurements shows I'm 12" at front center (up to bottom of skid plate) and about 14" at front-side (just under driver side door hinge).

I've been trying to find specifics of what "correct" means for my rig. Almost everything I see is in reference to the X3 suspension. Including the Fox recommended setup for the X3 Max here: Powersports Help Center | FOX

1. Should I assume the numbers listed for the X3 Max (QS3) are the same for my Maverick Sport Max? Including ride height of 15.5"? If not, can someone please point me to what my baseline measurements should be for my rig? Or better yet, what your numbers are if you're already dialed in.
  2. I think I understand crossover and how to measure and adjust. I'm a bit stumped on what to set for preload. Do I measure and set preload by measuring the bottom perch to the top of the springs and comparing to the "Installed Spring Length =23 3/4"" spec? Or do I do trial & error tweaking preload and setting on ground until I hit desired ride height (again assuming 15.5)
-Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,431 Posts
I'm not sure there are any measurements for that rig. If there are I have not seen any, but I have not searched.

Here are some basics of suspension in regard to preload.

Preload should give you a desired ride height ( loaded) and the ride should allow for some " sag" in the suspension as to allow the tires to follow some ground contour. A good rule of thumb for a rig like this in my opinion would be 1/3 of the travel in "sag".

The crossover ring should be set so the car at ride height loaded still allows the primary spring ( softer spring) to be used to absorb small chop etc. before the secondary( stiffer spring) takes over.

Just some basic guidelines to help get you started, hopefully someone has the correct measurements and you don't have to invent them. Tim

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome

The sport owners manual has suspension preload factory settings.
You can always set to "factory" as a base line and go from there. Increase preload with added weight. You'll find a sweet spot where it's not to choppy.

I did find I preloaded mine end it was stiff at first and over time seemed to soften out. (fox 2.0 not the 2.5)

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from NW Oregon!​
You will get much better information if you edited out your question and took it to this section:​

Well shoot. I thought I had posted in the Suspension section. Not sure how that happened. Sorry about that. If a mod would be willing to push to the right section that would be great...

Welcome​
The sport owners manual has suspension preload factory settings.​
You can always set to "factory" as a base line and go from there. Increase preload with added weight. You'll find a sweet spot where it's not to choppy.​
I did find I preloaded mine end it was stiff at first and over time seemed to soften out. (fox 2.0 not the 2.5)​

I actually just thought to check my manual. It says 66.7mm (front) and 19.7mm (back). I went and took a closer look at my shocks. My front is a continuous spring (so no crossover). My rear is dual spring setup though.

If I understand correctly, this means 66.7mm compression from relaxed length of spring(s). Do I have to unscrew everything & loosen the springs to get relaxed length? Or, should I just assume that the specs in the manual is what I have right now and just adjust from there? (e.g. just crank it down some and test drive it for feel)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Well shoot. I thought I had posted in the Suspension section. Not sure how that happened. Sorry about that. If a mod would be willing to push to the right section that would be great...
Ah...it's because all first posts get put into "Member Introductions"! They want you to first introduce yourself and machine.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I wondered, my bad. After (if) a mod moves it, I'll do a proper intro.
They won't move it because it's your first post, that's why it's better to edit to a introduction and then post questions in the different sections.

·
Registered
152 Posts

I actually just thought to check my manual. It says 66.7mm (front) and 19.7mm (back). I went and took a closer look at my shocks. My front is a continuous spring (so no crossover). My rear is dual spring setup though.

If I understand correctly, this means 66.7mm compression from relaxed length of spring(s). Do I have to unscrew everything & loosen the springs to get relaxed length? Or, should I just assume that the specs in the manual is what I have right now and just adjust from there? (e.g. just crank it down some and test drive it for feel)
I'm not looking at the page but for mine it's from the bottom of the upper mount to the top adjustment nut. Might be bottom of the bottom nut.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2,895 Posts
I wondered, my bad. After (if) a mod moves it, I'll do a proper intro.
From site Guidelines..."We urge new members to first post in Member Introduction for a community welcome."

This thread can get moved after a Member Introduction thread...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts