Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confused. Does the maverick's (14" of travel) suspension really compare to the wildcat (18" of travel) since the maverick has less travel? It just seams like the new polaris 1000 and the arctic cat would theorectically have a better suspension. I'm buying a max and have simply been pondering this question for awhile.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Because you sure cant tell its any better in the heartland challange. Race video of the xp1000 vs maverick only time your using all that travel is in massive whoops

·
Registered
197 Posts
Over very harsh terrain I have yet to see anything keep up with my Wildcat. When I say harsh I mean REALLY harsh. I can pin it through retarded rough stuff and nothing can hang. Problem is those conditions are a small percentage of any course, everywhere else other than ridiculous jumps IMO the Wildcat suspension is of no aid and seems like a hindrance in cornering. It is hard to control excessive amounts of travel and retain excellent handling characteristics. IMO the Wildcat could do with less travel in a short course (most of what everyone encounters) environment and it would be faster for it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wildcat suspension is hard to beat. In the dunes is really where you might see the difference. But don't get me wrong, the Mav has unbelievable suspension (especially the X) with a lot of adjustability like low and high speed compression damping that others don't have.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
I don't really see the Wildcat beating the Maverick or XP in the suspension category for east coast riding. West coast is a different story. I have raced against a wildcat before we made suspension changes and there are areas that he could keep the pedal buried and i couldn't, I haven't had a great chance to run one head to head after our revalve and re spring.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Longer travel will allow for more sag. More sag will allow for a plusher ride. However, this will adversely effect the handling. 12" -14" of travel is perfect for trails. If your not bottoming the suspension out a couple of times each ride, then your not using all the travel. 18" is too much wheel travel for anything but fast g-outs and woops. A properly setup SxS with 14" of travel will perform amazingly in all conditions. In my opinion, 10" is too little, 18" is too much and 14" is just right.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. I live in ND, so no desert sand. It will be driving through pastures, on gravel, and across fields.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dirt trax did a review and said the Maverick has class leading suspension and ride. I have driven a wildcat and a maverick. The Maverick rides way better.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Don't forget the longer wheelbase. In stock form the longer wheelbase is a plus for the cat but a maverick with the shocks tunes is a different story. I have only been in a race with one cat. I started a few vehicles behind him, in a few laps i was able to catch and pass him. I was able to hit the jumps harder and hit the brakes later because i was in control of my vehicle. Maybe he didn't want to push it that hard who knows but it was fun.

·
Registered
77 Posts
In the rocks I prefer the Mav over the WCX. I think it's all in the shocks though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I had the Wilccat before my Mav. For going over bumps and such....the cat was better...ate them up. But cornering? Soft and leaned over a lot. Overall I'd say the Mav as a WHOLE driving experience is better, but there are absolutely times where the cat will do things better than the Mav. Not often, but it can happen. The biggest disappointment with the cat is the crappy cabin. The Mav is in a WHOLE different class there, no comparison.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts