Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLVED!! Surging/cutting out in high/low

Sorry for my first post to be a distress call but here is what I have... Picked up a used '13 Mav a few weeks ago and had been running flawlessly up the roads, down the trails and general bombing around until yesterday. My brother was riding on the farm and all of a sudden it just started cutting in and out in the forward ranges. It idles and revs fine in park and neutral, functions totally normal in reverse, but go to high or low, give it gas and it jumps from normal rpms to zero and back constantly and sounds like its backfiring while doing it. I was thinking throttle body or tps at first, but the problem only in forward ranges has me baffled. Has anyone come across this or have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
always start with the easy stuff
change plugs
add fresh gas
check filters
check fault codes
forward is a higher gear then reverse
so it has a bigger load on the motor

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had something similar happen to me a while ago. Check you seat belt safety plug. On my X3 it is under the drivers seat. Mine became loose and it would lose the connection and put it into safety mode which will not allow you to go over 10mph.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
X2 on seat belt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No go on the seat belt. Does it with it hooked up or not. I even jumpers the plug and same deal. It’s not that it’s going into safe mode or anything. Just flat out won’t run right in the drive ranges. I’m lucky if I can feather it enough to get it to 10 mph. What’s weird to me is that it’s fine in any other gear and will rev to the moon in any of them. I just put a tank of fresh gas in on Friday. Im gonna pull the plugs and look at em but I’m doubtful since it doesn’t miss a beat in anything but forward range.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Check the plug on the gear position indicator in the trans. It is a round plastic piece to the rear of the engine on the right hand side. Need to pull the passenger seat and plastic under the seat to access it. Make sure the connection is clean and tight. Take the indicator off and look at that, too. My 13 Mav was going into limp mode and reading "Transmission Fault" on the dash sometimes when running a fast trail. I did the above. Never saw anything wrong, but the problem was gone after that. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just tried that. No different result. I don’t get any fault codes or limp mode or anything. Just acts like a bucking bronco in hi or lo.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Have you tried flooring it in reverse while pressing the override switch to see if it does it? The other thing I would try is take the plastic covers off both sides of the engine compartment, have it running and then wiggle, pull and push every wire that you can see. It sounds electrical to me. Could be loose connection or a broken wire inside a harness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. Runs perfect in reverse with or without switch. I'm gonna try to trace some more wiring down tonight when I get home.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Have you tried going forward and pushing the overide switch ?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Makes me think it is a fuel delivery problem. Have you checked the fuel filter? Also could be something in the tank itself plugging the fuel intake to the pump.

·
Premium Member
6,615 Posts
Sounds like fuel to me also.

It sounds like its starving for fuel. Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Checked it last night and seemed good. I filled the tank Friday and it went to hell Saturday. I wasn't thinking the gas itself, but I'm gonna drain the tank tonight and refill from somewhere else to either confirm the problem or rule it out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Bad gas? Maybe. Give it a try. I would also pull the pump and check inside the tank while you're at. Could be some crap in there floating around.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
If it easy enouph Id pull the furl line at the rail and once youve put new gas in Id purge the system ( lines etc) Its funny how they can run fine with no load on the engine, ? If it might be some water, when my oldest son was about 3 years old he thought he’d help out took the garden hose and filled his quad, filled my jetski and moms car his quad quite running , water in the fuel I thought aww sitting for a while no big deal , moms car got towed to the shop , they said somthing wierd was in the tank had to remove and flush it and clean all the fuel sys. Figured she got some bad gas somewhere, one weekend pulled my ski out fired it up ok ,load up hit the lake warm the skiup and take of out in the middle wawawa it died had to swim back pulling the ski find its full of water never put all 3 together. Fast forward 30 years talking to my son now he has a son and the lil guy put water in the tank of his quad so jas tells me remember you always told me 1 day Ill have a son and paybacks are hell. Remember all the cars and ski had water in them I thought I would help and fill em up for you Huh yuo put water in everthing hes like ya I thought I was helping. And lil j just did it to me, trying to help me out by filling the bikes before our ride

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If it easy enouph Id pull the furl line at the rail and once youve put new gas in Id purge the system ( lines etc) Its funny how they can run fine with no load on the engine, ? If it might be some water, when my oldest son was about 3 years old he thought he’d help out took the garden hose and filled his quad, filled my jetski and moms car his quad quite running , water in the fuel I thought aww sitting for a while no big deal , moms car got towed to the shop , they said somthing wierd was in the tank had to remove and flush it and clean all the fuel sys. Figured she got some bad gas somewhere, one weekend pulled my ski out fired it up ok ,load up hit the lake warm the skiup and take of out in the middle wawawa it died had to swim back pulling the ski find its full of water never put all 3 together. Fast forward 30 years talking to my son now he has a son and the lil guy put water in the tank of his quad so jas tells me remember you always told me 1 day Ill have a son and paybacks are hell. Remember all the cars and ski had water in them I thought I would help and fill em up for you Huh yuo put water in everthing hes like ya I thought I was helping. And lil j just did it to me, trying to help me out by filling the bikes before our ride
Isn't it funny how those little "remember when" stories tend to come out as we get older and the kids start getting older?

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Isn't it funny how those little "remember when" stories tend to come out as we get older and the kids start getting older?
My son calls all the time to tell me what his sons been doing to him and always goes ya I know paybacks, The daughter inlaw is like hey you can watch the kids and Im like ah noo I already raised mine now it’s my time to have fun I tell her you still got 10/15 years to go

1 - 20 of 43 Posts