Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire
A few months ago I had a tube insert on my passenger upper Aarm rip out while riding in the dunes. I pulled the arm off the car in the dunes and welded back together and also added some rosette welds to it.

Well this lastweekend the driver side did the same thing. It pulled the rear tube insert out of the upper arm. We were about 30 miles from camp. So we put the insert back into the arm and ratch strapped up the front suspension enough to be able to get the car out of the woods and down onto a paved road to bring truck and trailer to pick it up.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? The arms have about 1000 miles on them. Mostly all
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas Auto part
dune miles. I don't jump the car at all. The car is setup up with a 15 inches of ground clearance.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have the tubular arms and about 350 miles on the so far. Loose jam nuts and loose upper arm bolts are all that I have experienced so far. Locktite for the jam nuts and torque paint for the upper a arm bolts. If the uppers come loose again, I’ll locktite them also and install the oem wear plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
Obviously you did a rosette weld so you know arm's with spuds and heims absolutely need rosette welds.

Different arms or rosette them yourself is are the only answers.

Tim

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have two X3's with SATV arms. The Jam nuts like to come loose no matter how tight you make them, so after a couple times of that I spot welded them. Fast forward a thousand miles and the the threads loosened up enough I had a 1/4" of up and down play, so I welded the whole joint up. The upper arm's are also bending at the shock mount. The round holes are more oval now. I imagine I could warranty them, but I think I'm going to write them off as a bad buy and get something different this winter.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have 1300 fairly aggressive dune miles on my factory arms without a hitch (almost). I did replace the factory sway bar links with ST links since the OEM's link bolts kept loosening up on me,,, and SUCKED beyond belief)

The factory arms are supposed to be time bombs, so if you've lost two aftermarket arms in the same manner,,, I'd say find another manufacturer. (regardless of what arms they are) I plan to upgrade my arms after this season if they make it through the season. (fingers crossed) I will go with CT since I have had nothing but good luck with them and their stuff, and they have VERY good reviews everywhere I've read.

Time is money,,, how much time have you lost dealing with this while you were supposed to be having fun? Ditch those arms, and find something better. Many options available to you that have proven to be VERY reliable.

Some have had good luck with Super,,, some (as noted above) have had terrible luck. I try to stay away from manufacturers with inconsistent reviews such as those. Not worth the savings.

Good luck man,,, I hope you get this resolved and never have to deal with it again. (y)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. If you guys are running these arms you might want to start looking at the welds in this spot. I will differently be buying a different set of arms. Losing 2 whole days due to this issue, I'm done with them. I will fix them and throw them in the trailer for backup.

I prefer to run a tube style arm. I wish CT made a tube upper Aarm but they don't. So I'll probably buy a set of S3 arms. I've put a few set's of S3 arms on and they are nice.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have 12k pipe-hitting miles on my stock upper arms, including 3k miles of racing and twice that many miles prerunning SCORE courses in Baja.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 12k pipe-hitting miles on my stock upper arms, including 3k miles of racing and twice that many miles prerunning SCORE courses in Baja.
Well with everyone being 4 to 12 weeks out to get any arms looks like I'll be putting my stock upper arms back on.
Zambo what are you running for balljoints?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Well with everyone being 4 to 12 weeks out to get any arms looks like I'll be putting my stock upper arms back on.
Zambo what are you running for balljoints?
Keller ball joints. And I take an extra upper and lower pin with me in the crazy event that one breaks. They do require greasing and adjustment at regular intervals.

Reactions: Hampton

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
most people on here dont use SuperAtv parts...cheap China crap.....Ct Raceworx, Highlifter, HCR and S3 are all superior

1 - 20 of 45 Posts