Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just struggled with the install of the $369 SuperAtv windshield. It comes in 2 pieces and needs to be bolted together. The bolts are long and stick out toward your head. The rubber surround needs to be installed which takes quite sometime and is an exercise in frustration.
The upper clamps are not big enough to wrap around the cage and bolt through the windshield.

I called tech as they supply 3 different rubber gaskets. One is of course to go around the windshield. Another apparently goes on the intrusion bars. The third, flat one which is wrapped like a roll of tape, goes on the bracket, though tech support said no and had no idea. They emailed me instructions which they thought were different than what was supplied but were exactly the same poor instructions.

it’s no wonder they have no install video. Very disappointing product.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Curious about their return and satisfaction "guaranteed" policy, if any? Maybe PM their forum rep and ask? Contrary to your SuperATV experience, I installed Bent Metal's vented non-folding glass windshield this weekend which was a breeze. Not only did it go on simply, even without instructions furnished or needed without issues, but allowed utilization of Can-Am Dragonfire roof and side mirrors.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, one thing is, the windshield has big stickers on it that say if you remove the protective film it cannot be returned.

Trouble is, you cannot bolt it together to fit it without removing the film.

And as I just wrapped the velcro strips around the sides, I then attempted to use the upper mount clamps, metal clamps surrounded partly by rubber. The picture of the clamps in the instructions show clamps that would work. The clamps they include are not even close to the pic, shaped completely differently, and would not work no matter what I did.

I guess one day I'll learn that even though OEM is more expensive, it's just not worth the savings with the aftermarket parts sometimes.

When I purchased a Kemimoto roof for my XDS, on their "silent movie" install video they show these things you turn into the holes to affix the roof, exactly as the aluminum roof that came installed on my XC uses. Unfortunately, they do not supply those, they supply short screws and nuts which will not work unless your fingers are a contortionist, and only when you drill out the holes that are made to grab the factory parts.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If you PM SuperATV's rep, include a link to this thread topic to outline what you did and your results.

Agreed on OEM accessories generally being better engineered and tooled for volume production vs competing aftermarket product offerings. I've seldom been disappointed with OEM Can-Am accessories, with exception of poorly written installation instructions.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have the same windshield, i agree with the top clamps although i did get them to work just had to use longer bolts than supplied and it bent it to shape. Now i dont even bother with em as the roof holds it down tight. For the outer seal a hamer made quick work of it.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
627 Posts
Shoot me a PM with that order info man. I want to make sure you ordered the correct one.

Like above, soaking that seal in HOT water and tapping it on with a little hammer makes it a breeze. The clamps can feel like a pain, but if you use a clamp to hold them tight...or get another set of hands, you're usually ok. You could also be using the wrong bolts in those spots. Shoot me your info, and I'll check it out and try to walk you though it.

I found a guy on YouTube that did a recent review. This may help.

·
Administrator
2,904 Posts
Trouble is, you cannot bolt it together to fit it without removing the film.
Why is that? No one here has ever posted their preliminary windshield fitment couldn't be accomplished because of a couple pieces of 'saran wrap' was in their way to protect their return of product. I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this that's not sure what your problem was.

Can any members who have installed this windshield, or can guess, chime in on why he had a "skin" problem? Thanx!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Why is that? No one here has ever posted their preliminary windshield fitment couldn't be accomplished because of a couple pieces of 'saran wrap' was in their way to protect their return of product. I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this that's not sure what your problem was.

Can any members who have installed this windshield, or can guess, chime in on why he had a "skin" problem? Thanx!
Im not sure, i mean if you leave it on and bolt it together and put seal on then the film would tear all along the edge as you try to remove it. All i did was peal the perimeter by about half an inch and had no issues. Only issue is with how quick it scratched up.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 RC Turbo RR
36 Posts
Im not sure, i mean if you leave it on and bolt it together and put seal on then the film would tear all along the edge as you try to remove it. All i did was peal the perimeter by about half an inch and had no issues. Only issue is with how quick it scratched up.
Did you get the coated option? I am about to buy one so if the extra money for the coated one isn't worth it I may look elsewhere. Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Have you done one of this type? Do you think I’m a troll looking to hurt their or anyone’s business? Or because they are a vendor do you automatically stick up for them to protect the site’s revenue stream?

Do a Google search of my screen name. You will find it/me on forums for close to 20 years, well regarded, well respected. Ford Raptor Forum, have owned 3. Porsche Macan Forum, have owned 3. Rennlist forum, also a Porsche forum, have owned 4, including 2 911s, and a Panamera, and now a 2021 Cayenne GTS, with proof and pics of every one at my home, including hosting get togethers with multiple members as far back as when the VW Touareg was first introduced to the USA in 2004. POTN, a Canon photography forum where I have over 20,000 posts for over 15 years.

I peeled back the wrap and it has a lot of static electricity. It rewraps itself right where you are screwing 10 bolts, washers and nuts together. Could I have taped it back in multiple places to hold it? Probably, but it was already enough of a PIA. The instructions show completely different clamps to attach the top of the windshield to the cage. When I inquired the answer was oh, we don’t make those anymore. Well, the ones they supply are not large enough. I told them that. So they sent me a pic of the clamps wrapped around the upper cage. Only trouble with that pic is it did not have the windshield in it. And it was a pic of the old clamps. Of course it appears to fit without the thickness of the windshield and the very thick rubber gasket in the pic.

And ty to the above recommendation of warm water and a hammer. Perhaps tech could have told me that or the instructions should state that.

When I buy something I want and expect it to work and fit as advertised. I’ve purchased over 1,000 things on Amazon and have reviewed many. I like nothing more than to give a product 5 stars. When it deserves it.

There are no videos on YouTube showing this windshield being installed on my popular machine, the XRC, and the pics that accompany the instructions do not even show the completed product.
The product comes with 3 different rubber materials, the obvious one for the windshield surround, which btw, on the Kemimoto I had on my 2021 XDS (pics of which I also posted here) came with the gasket already attached to the windshield. It doesn’t on this one as it’s 2 pieces that has to be bolted together, a poor redesign. Another rubber gasket is shown to be placed on the horizontal and vertical intrusion bars. That is almost unnecessary except for a small section where it touches. It doesn’t come close to touching the bottom bar. Then there is a thin rubber gasket called a flat in the instructions. It shows that being attached to the metal bar that you use to bolt the top and bottom of the windshield together. When I asked tech support about that, he had no idea what it was and insisted, opposite the instructions, that it did not go on that bracket, and he was wrong.

So I did contact via phone and multiple subsequent emails SuperATV to make it work before posting anything.

And I now have Velcro straps and the roof holding down the top of the windshield.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And the video shown above I also saw when searching and it shows a 1 piece windshield, not 2 pieces, and the gentleman in the video says how much better the 1 piece design is and he is correct. Also not how he does a time lapse of fighting with the gasket install. So you don’t see how long it takes and how it continually pops off, especially in the cutouts along the side.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the multiple posts, but while we are talking about this, I went on the website to order the windshield. At least 10 times when PayPal returned me to the order page it asked for my phone number to complete the order. My phone number was there. So I deleted it, re-entered it, over and over again without success. I closed the page, exited out of Google Chrome, went into Safari and tried it. Same thing. i again sent an email, didn’t post about that, and the reply was to refresh my browser and if that didn’t work, and I quote the email which I can reproduce here, “you will call to place the order.”

And that’s what I did, on the way to go riding from NY to Redding, PA, I called and placed the order.
My somewhat snarky reply email said my suggestion, in apposite to theirs about refreshing my browser, was to fix their website.

·
Administrator
2,904 Posts
Sorry for the multiple posts, but while we are talking about this, I went on the website to order the windshield. At least 10 times when PayPal returned me to the order page it asked for my phone number to complete the order. My phone number was there. So I deleted it, re-entered it, over and over again without success. I closed the page, exited out of Google Chrome, went into Safari and tried it. Same thing. i again sent an email, didn’t post about that, and the reply was to refresh my browser and if that didn’t work, and I quote the email which I can reproduce here, “you will call to place the order.”

And that’s what I did, on the way to go riding from NY to Redding, PA, I called and placed the order.
My somewhat snarky reply email said my suggestion, in apposite to theirs about refreshing my browser, was to fix their website.
Looks like you have the help you need now for your terrible times...noticed Super ATV had answered (post #6) with assistance when I was typing (post #7). Also seems to me that was a great suggestion to peel back the film around the edge a bit for fitment to keep the guarantee active too!

·
Vendor
627 Posts
Sorry you're having a hard time with this man. We sell a ton of these with a lot of happy customers. I'd be happy to try to help get you what you need and walk you through it if you're still struggling. Shoot me a PM with all that you need, and I'll do whatever I can to help out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts