Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this machine used from a dealer and after driving my buddy's RZR 900 I've come to realize the brakes suck! Pads are good, is this normal compared to the RZR or do I need to power bleed these things? This is the only Mav I've driven so I have no comparison data

·
Registered
274 Posts
I dunno if "Sucks" Would be the correct term. I have noticed that the brakes on my friends RZR XP 900 are way more touchy then mine. (You barely apply pressure to the peddle and the brakes lock up)

But I stop just fine and have no complaints about the brakes on the Mav. But yeah the Brakes on the XP 900 do seem more touchy or more responsive.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The pads are very hard and seem to be very durable. This causes the squeaking or chattering some hear. The downside to hard pads is they tend to have less bite. Try to find a softer compound and performance will improve but life will suffer. Not too many complaints about the brakes here but I have looked into it alittle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree. The brakes on my Max are scary sometimes. I come into a situation too hot and get scared. Lol my xp does stop so much better. I just thought it was due to the weight. I have learned to brake earlier.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My biggest issue is on hill climbs, if I need to stop to hold myself on the hill I literally have to stand on them to get them to hold. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
My 2 seater is not like that at all. How is the pedal feel? Is it firm or spongy? It my need to be bled...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Little spongy, that's why I was thinking of bleeding, just looking for some input on how they are before I did it. It's -5 degrees here so I wasn't in any rush to go out there and do it lol

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Little spongy, that's why I was thinking of bleeding, just looking for some input on how they are before I did it. It's -5 degrees here so I wasn't in any rush to go out there and do it lol
haha....I can see why!My guess is you have some moisture in the fluid which will cause them to feel spongy. good bleed with fresh fluids will firm up the pedal feel. Have you looked in the reservoir to see what color the fluid was and the fluid level by chance?

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
They need bled or you have a bent hub that's causing them to feel spongy. Once the brakes heat up they grab great. I can lock all four up and slide into a turn all day long

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
mine will make u hit ur head on the steering wheel , lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fluid is clean and full. Good thought on the bent rotor, I'll have to check that! Thank you! Not knowing the history of it I don't know if its ever been under water so I guess I'll have to flush just for a piece of mind if not anything else

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
I abuse mine pretty hard on the track and my brakes get really hot but I run dot 5.1 in mine and I bleed the brakes every race to make sure I have fresh fluid, especially with the humidity being so bad here. If you have a bent hub which isn't thay uncommon it while cause the rotor to walk around. It's very difficult to see. Or of the axle nut is a fuzz loose which I've seen many many times before on a Maverick it will cause the same thing to happen.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Do the max's have bigger brakes? Thought i read somewhere that someone thought they were.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Make sure the rotors rnt glased that would cause them to not work good eather. mine work great i can lock up all 4 no problem.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I will need to bleed mine and see if that helps. It has been spongy right from the start. Brett, please post any changes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will do, I plan on doing it this weekend and will post my findings

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well nothing bent or loose, so I proceeded to bleed and got a lot of air out of the right rear, continued to bleed the remaing 3 and went for a test drive, now I have brakes like it should! Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts