Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was having trouble pulling out the diff side front CV, and realized a decent solution to help get a resilient stuck shaft out, wanted to document it incase it ever helps anyone searching in the future.

The issue is being able to develop enough force to pull the CV out of the diff, some shafts are very stubborn! Especially with limited if any tools like on the trail, away from home and any civilization.

Have read to use a strap to grab the back side of the CV, but even with a lot of leverage at the center of a very tight strap I couldn't get my CV to pull out. Even have a bar with perfect geometry to get behind the CV.

It occurred to me like an epiphany we have a strong force multiplying pulling tool built right into the steering...

Turned the steering to full lock, pulled the strap tight and wrapped the strap around the steering tierod mount on the knuckle a few times and then secured the other end.

The CV popped out with half a turn of the steering wheel with ease!

Keeping a strap in my X3 tool bag from now on!

Wood Auto part Electric blue Natural material Rope

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting concept. Where you also using that prybar at the same time?
No, the prybar didn't have enough in it, I could feel it giving up even when prying and tapping the CV. And that bar almost couldn't have been a better geometry to tuck in behind the CV and pry against the HALO case with really good leverage.

This CV was being an absolute stubborn bitch!

Bar was there while I pulled with the steering, so left it in the picture I am putting in my notes to remind me if I ever need to pull one of these out again. Fingers crossed I don't...

Purely used the strap for all the force as I was in the cab rotating the steering wheel.

It worked so well, I hesitated to post, as it seems like someone far more clever than me would have already posted a tip like that, yet I have not seen one explicitly using the strength developed in the force multiplying steering assembly to do all the heavy lifting.

Watched a LOT of videos of people beating the absolute shit out of the axle trying to get them out at all cost, even on a sketchy rock face or in the dark pissing rain trying to get out of technical areas.

This, I think a person can do single handed with no outside help or special tools beyond the absolute necessary.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
900 Posts
Nice tip! I wonder if a Dyneema sewn runner of the correct length would work a little better since it won't stretch? It might be worth looking into if you're going to carry a strap for future trail fixes.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
pretty cool trick ! Great for when you’re alone . If youre with another sxs you can tie the strap to the back bumper with a little slack and have them yank it out

·
Registered
335 Posts
Use the machine's winch and two snatch blocks to direct pulling force, pops right out. For bush fix with lots of trees near by.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Use the machine's winch and two snatch blocks to direct pulling force, pops right out. For bush fix with lots of trees near by.
How many people carry 2 snatch blocks ???
Anyone one here ? Besides me :). Lol
Two winches, front and back, two snatch blocks , two soft shackles, two metal shackles, 75 foot tow strap , 30 foot tow strap, 100 foot winch extension rope and sometimes my pull pal sand / dirt anchor :)
With me always, mainly to flip me back over by myself :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Two winches, front and back, two snatch blocks , two soft shackles, two metal shackles, 75 foot tow strap , 30 foot tow strap, 100 foot winch extension rope and sometimes my pull pal sand / dirt anchor :)
Group of riders typically have that... If you're by yourself theres a very small chance you carry enough tools and parts to fix this trailside no matter the method...

·
Banned
2 Posts
We're so impressed.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Reactions: LBR
1 - 11 of 11 Posts