Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out at Sand Mountain, NV last weekend and had a chance to use Sand paddles for the first time! What a huge difference over the stock tires. Mearsman let me borrow his STU paddles 27-12 rear and 26-12 front. I found that running them at 6lbs was better than 10 lbs.

I did 34 MPH up Comp Hill in 4WD and 37 MPH in 2WD. The only downfall was I was only hitting 7250-7300 RPM. I have the Dalton clutch kit with the flyweights being empty. Maybe adding weights will help??

I ended racing another Maverick that had 8 paddle tires (not Skats) and I would beat him up Comp hill buy 1-2 lengths in 4WD and plus 3 lengths in 2 wheel drive. We both had a K&N filter and I had the Dalton clutch kit.

And let me tell you..The STU setup is hell of a lot lighter than stock tires and wheels.

I was sold on the 7 paddle Skats from everything I have read on here before but now Im really debating after the race with the other Mav although his wasn't Skats. Either way I'm sold on buying Sand Paddles!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
no other paddle is like a skat trak !

·
Registered
538 Posts
i like my STU's.i had skat's on my rzr-s and they were worn out in one season from driving back and forth from the campground to the sand.

·
Registered
541 Posts
We run STU's on our machines and they are GREAT!

We sell all paddle tires, but the STU's are our #1 seller!

Chris
Devious PowerSports

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
The STUs will be a better performing duning tire. The Skat maybe a little faster in a drag race, but will not float like the STUs.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I will be testing 2 different paddle setups next month at Sand Mtn. 28" GMZ sand strippers(stagger cut)& 26" skats 8 paddle. I've ran the skats at oregon and both at pismo. I like the looks of the 28" paddle on the mav & think the heavier molded GMZ tire will last longer/resist punctures better and closer to my clutch setup for my 30" mongrels. I figure skats will be faster up the hill due to being lighter but we'll see.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be testing 2 different paddle setups next month at Sand Mtn. 28" GMZ sand strippers(stagger cut)& 26" skats 8 paddle. I've ran the skats at oregon and both at pismo. I like the looks of the 28" paddle on the mav & think the heavier molded GMZ tire will last longer/resist punctures better and closer to my clutch setup for my 30" mongrels. I figure skats will be faster up the hill due to being lighter but we'll see.
Maybe there will be some other Mavs out there that have the staggered Skats or STU's you could test against. Keep the GoPro running! I wont be able to make it out next month or I would join you on the testing. Too much going on - Cruise and Rubicon trip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts