Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am a proud new owner of a Maverick XRS just purchased 2 weeks ago and has sat in my garage since waiting for a trip to Silver Lake, MI. This is my first side x side purchase. I own snowmobiles, quads and personal watercrafts so I am not new to power sports and most of my toys are BRP. I am also new to this forum. I appreciate all the information and experiences told by the members of this forum. Its worth it's weight in gold.

So I am curious as to what you purchased and from where to make your Maverick street legal. My dealer tells me that Can-Am is coming out with street legal kits for the Maverick but I haven't seen anything on the internet yet with the exception of some Commander stuff.

I want to make my Maverick street legal but I prefer clean, factory look, plug & play kind of install. Where did you buy and What power wiper and washer, turn signal kit, bumper, DOT windshield, tires, etc did you use. My dealer showed me a street legal RZR and it seems that install the stuff is easy with maybe a little challenging work on the electrical stuff. I really don't care for the tiny round led turn signals I see on all the street legal UTVs. There is got to be other LED turn signals with more style that adds to the aggressive look of the Maverick.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
street legal is different in all states. In AZ we only need to add a horn, license plate light and rearview mirror. I have never been harassed about DOT tires.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is true. I should probably also say that I live in Michigan which seems to be more strict or have more requirements than most states. From what my dealer showed me a UTV in Michigan needs, DOT windshield, DOT tires, turn signals, horn, license plate light, rear view mirror, at least 1 side view mirror, front and rear bumpers, wiper and washer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
street legal is different in all states. In AZ we only need to add a horn, license plate light and rearview mirror. I have never been harassed about DOT tires.
That's because there is no AZ law that requires DOT tires (I Checked). DOT stands for "Department of Transportation" and is a federal standard. Therefore it only applies to federal highways (I.E. interstates) like I-10. Even than it really only applies to commercial vehicles that are subject to it. Most people won't take their SXS on the interstates anyway. Some states (not AZ) parallel and adopt DOT laws to their state laws...usually the east coast, but thank goodness not AZ! :) Here is a link to the AZ law. Search Results Page

28-958. Tire equipment restrictions

A. A solid rubber tire on a vehicle shall have rubber on its entire traction surface at least one inch thick above the edge of the flange of the entire periphery.

B. A tire on a vehicle that is moved on a highway shall not have on its periphery any block, stud, flange, cleat, spike or other protuberance that is made of any material other than rubber and that projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire, except that it is permissible to use:

1. Farm machinery with tires having protuberances that will not injure the highway.

2. Tire chains of reasonable proportions on a vehicle when required for safety because of snow, ice or other conditions tending to cause a vehicle to skid.

3. From October 1 to May 1 pneumatic tires containing metal type studs of tungsten carbide or other suitable material that are inserted or constructed in a manner so that the number of studs or the percentage of metal in contact with the roadway does not exceed three per cent of the total tire area in contact with the roadway under any conditions.

C. The director and local authorities in their respective jurisdictions may issue special permits authorizing the operation on a highway of traction engines or tractors having movable tracks with transverse corrugations on the periphery of the movable tracks or farm tractors or other farm machinery, the operation of which on a highway would otherwise be prohibited under this chapter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Another thing people get hung up on is that ATV/SXS tires say "not for highway use, or "for offroad use only" ... well, it doesn't matter if there's not a state law prohibiting them because the Police/Sheriff cant give you a ticket for a law that does not exist. Now here is one thing that can trip you up. If you ride on federal land/Parks/forests most of them do require DOT tires and the Rangers can and will give you a ticket.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I hear in phx if ur street legal and want to drive on the road legally u need dot tires and windshield and wiper then they say its a mc plate so u don't need a windshield but it has 4 wheels not two I here if the cops want to play he can write u a ticket

A cop out in north Peoria was messing with tons of people when rhinos and rzrs came out everyone was complaining about him lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
I hear in phx if ur street legal and want to drive on the road legally u need dot tires and windshield and wiper then they say its a mc plate so u don't need a windshield but it has 4 wheels not two I here if the cops want to play he can write u a ticket

A cop out in north Peoria was messing with tons of people when rhinos and rzrs came out everyone was complaining about him lol
I live in AZ and I'm very familiar with the law (I won't tell you why) just trust me. Empower yourself with the law and even print it out and carry it with you. Most cops are very unfamiliar with the law in regards to SXS and think they can write you a ticket. I take that back...they can write the ticket but you will win in court. Your right about the windshield to a point. You have to have eye protection "or" a windshield. So if you wear sunglasses or goggles you will be fine. Here is the windshield law in AZ.

28-957.01. Windshields required

A. The following vehicles shall be equipped with an adequate windshield:

1. A passenger vehicle, except a motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle and a golf cart manufactured or modified before June 17, 1998.

2. A motor truck or truck tractor, except fire trucks, fire engines or other fire apparatus, whether publicly or privately owned.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Here's more...

28-964. Motorcycles; all-terrain vehicles; motor driven cycles; equipment; exception; prohibition

A. An operator or passenger of a motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle or motor driven cycle who is under eighteen years of age shall wear at all times a protective helmet on the operator's or passenger's head in an appropriate manner. The protective helmet shall be safely secured while the operator or passenger is operating or riding on the motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle or motor driven cycle. An operator of a motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle or motor driven cycle shall wear at all times protective glasses, goggles or a transparent face shield of a type approved by the director unless the motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle or motor driven cycle is equipped with a protective windshield. This subsection does not apply to electrically powered three wheeled vehicles or three wheeled vehicles on which the operator and passenger ride within an enclosed cab.

B. A motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle and motor driven cycle shall be equipped with a rearview mirror, seat and footrests for the operator. A motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle or motor driven cycle operated with a passenger shall be equipped with a seat, footrests and handrails for the passenger.

C. A person shall not operate a motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle or motor driven cycle equipped with handlebars that are positioned so that the hands of the operator are above the operator's shoulder height when the operator is sitting astride the seat and the operator's hands are on the handlebar grips.

·
Registered
229 Posts
And to the windshield wiper... if you don't need a windshield you don't need a wiper. You also don't need turn signal because you can use your hand signals. I can quote that law for you too if you'd like.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
And to the windshield wiper... if you don't need a windshield you don't need a wiper. You also don't need turn signal because you can use your hand signals. I can quote that law for you too if you'd like.
lol no thx not worried about the laws, :)

ima save this link and give it to the cop , LOL

Reactions: Clifs maverick

·
Registered
229 Posts
To the OP... sorry we are only talking AZ laws. You need to research your state laws but I think you're S.O.L. up in Michigan.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To the OP... sorry we are only talking AZ laws. You need to research your state laws but I think you're S.O.L. up in Michigan.
Well lets take the law out of the equation of the discussion and talk about what you fellow members purchased to make your Mav street legal. I am sure there are some good stories on what street legal components were bought that you absolutely love and some that would do it differently if they did it again.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anybody have any pics they would like to share of their street legal Maverick?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also just bought a Maverick, but I'd had my eye on a commander for a while, and have been researching the street-legal issues. I would recommend going over to the commander forums Can-Am Commander Forum - Search Results and looking there. There are certain places (rural) where people have had them signed off w/o DOT tires. The wiper doesn't have to be motorized, it can be hand actuated-most dune buggies only have this style. I ride with a few dune buggies, and none of them have spray for their wipers. There are also things to avoid within the paperwork that affects how the new title will read. check it out over there.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also just bought a Maverick, but I'd had my eye on a commander for a while, and have been researching the street-legal issues. I would recommend going over to the commander forums Can-Am Commander Forum - Search Results and looking there. There are certain places (rural) where people have had them signed off w/o DOT tires. The wiper doesn't have to be motorized, it can be hand actuated-most dune buggies only have this style. I ride with a few dune buggies, and none of them have spray for their wipers. There are also things to avoid within the paperwork that affects how the new title will read. check it out over there.
Thanks for the Commander info. I have search through some of those threads. There is good info for Michigan riders. I am more interested in other peoples setup. Pros and cons to what they bought. I have read some threads mentioning not needing DOT tires unless you are driving on interstate roads.

I prefer the power washer over a hand operated one. Can-Am actually has a windshield with 2 power wipers and a washer but it's over a $1000 for the kit. They also have a turn signal kit that was originally meant for European Can Am Commanders but will fit the Maverick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Windshield they have Doesn't fit the Maverick though. The cage is the same, but the profile at the hoodline is very different. I tried asking Can-Am if/when to expect it, and couldn't get a response. They just pointed me to the accessories area of their site. I am also told that the turn signal kit does NOT fit the Maverick as-is, although I believe there's conflicting opinion on this.

on another note, our License plate just became even more important today:

Michigan House approves 1st significant increase in hunting, fishing license fees since 1997 | News - Home

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Windshield they have Doesn't fit the Maverick though. The cage is the same, but the profile at the hoodline is very different. I tried asking Can-Am if/when to expect it, and couldn't get a response. They just pointed me to the accessories area of their site. I am also told that the turn signal kit does NOT fit the Maverick as-is, although I believe there's conflicting opinion on this.

on another note, our License plate just became even more important today:

Michigan House approves 1st significant increase in hunting, fishing license fees since 1997 | News - Home
I didn't realize about the hood shape but youre right. Thanks for letting me know. I hope they come out with one for the Maverick or maybe some aftermarket company makes a cheaper version. Turn signal light kit wiring and multifunction lever should work fine. My X package cluster has the turn signal indicator. The actual lights probably don't fit which I figured but I was planning to buy some better looking led lights.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I did a little more research on the BRP factory turn signal option for the Maverick. The Commander has a turn signal kit but the turn signal housings wont fit so I look at the parts diagram online I found that the European version of the Maverick uses the same turn signal switch (multifunction lever) as the commander. I did not verify the wire harnesses yet. The Maverick also has European bumper grills that I believe house the front turn signal and daytime light. There is also a European rear tail light housing that you need to mount the turn signal light. You will also see the license plate holder along with the light. So there's got to be a maverick kit, maybe not available now, but will be in the future. Just need to find a part number for the kit because buying the parts separately will be more expensive than the kit I'm sure and the kit is already expensive. turn signal light and day light.jpg bumper grill.jpg rear turn signal license plate.jpg rear left turn signal.jpg rear tail light housing.jpg

turn signal.jpg

1 - 20 of 54 Posts