Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bill 491 was introduced on sept 13th to elimate legalizing side by sides for on road use. Google it all mich owners this may be the demise of it. But on second hand these are the same people who did away with the helmet law here. Makes no damn sense.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
That's bullshit. Figures that I am spending money to be street legal and this shit pops up.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell me about it. Dont get upset yet. The club i belong one of the guys that seems to be pretty invold in the political side of offroading in mich says its not what it seems so let me find out more and ill keep you informed here and thru pm

Chris

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I can't believe that they don't see that this helps tourism. I actually will take more trips and ride more if I am street legal.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will most def keep everyone updated

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: this is what one of the members of the atv club i belong to had to say today in his post. Its my understanding that he did talk to the senator that wrote the bill:

We caught this and yelled a week ago last Thursday.

According to the Senator, the intent of the bill is to make it easier for folks who are plating UTVs to be able to get insurance. The bill was put together by request of the "secretary of state", but don't know the specifics on that aspect. If you note the co-sponsors, they are all "pro-ORV" folks.

The bill, as written, would make it totally illegal to convert any "off-road" vehicle (including bikes, which has been going on since forever and legally too) and it would also nullify the title of a vehicle so converted previously. Obviously this is not what they intended nor what any of us (except maybe some greenies) want.

As there currently is a mechanism to make UTVs legal
and
there are currently at least a couple insurance companies writing legit policies for such vehicles

I think there are zero reasons for this legislation to exist.

If there is a need, they can adjust the no-fault law to include specific provisions for such vehicles and outline the coverages required. I don't believe it needs to be taken that far.

------********_________

Now - who has insurance on their plated UTV, who is the carrier and have you confirmed that the policy provides "proper" on-road coverage?

If we collect some of this info, we may be able to solve the issue at hand.

I am working with a couple attorneys who specialize in the no-fault/insurance side of things to see what they can come up with (they were baffled on this too).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have been running 50 CaL beadlocks rims on STU Blasters on my Maverick and Commander for a while they look and work well

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I read the bill but don't see how it's suppose to make it easier to get insurance. It clearly states in the bill that no off road vehicle to be issued a registration.

Need to organize a recall of these senators. I wonder what is motivating these guys to introduce this bill.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya that's how interpit it to read also. Wasn't sure why they made the comment on the ins. I thought the same thing what is there reasoning to do this. I don't get that they get rid of the helmet law but don't want to authorize a sxs on the road that had an approved roll cage and seat belts. Blows my mind.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
That is a good point about the helmet law. Motorcycles are no safer than a sxs either. I wanted the benefit of being able to ride from the campground to the dunes without trailering or to be able to get from one trail system to another. In general, I don't think riders would ride their sxs to work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am an Allstate agent in Michigan and I insured my own street legal Maverick with Allstate. We have only had this ability for about 3 months.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats good to know I have allstate ins so I guess they will be insuring mine then. lol MiMav you wouldnt believe it but they do drive them to work. I work in sterling heights and a guy has a street legal commander and I've seen it out there in lot a few times. lol

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I work in Troy. I really wouldn't feel safe driving the Maverick to work. I suppose if I worked less than 5-10 miles away I would be tempted but the fact is that a sxs doesn't have to meet the federal crash guidelines like a car does. I bet a Smart car would destroy the Maverick in a accident.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh I agree I wouldn't do it either. I just want it to cruise the back dirt roads and be able to go get gas in it around here. It would help when riding up north also.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts