Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've had record rainfall here in Canadaland, so bad that there's 3 major highways you can choose to go from our small mountain town, to a major urban area about 4 hours away, and all 3 have been washed out, mudslides accross, or flash flooded. All are closed.

I was out for a ride today, in some of the muddiest conditions i've ever ridden in, it was crazy. Never seen anything like it. Rode up to higher elevation and the mud turned into frozen ground with rivers of water running over it. At one point, I stopped as I heard a weird rumbling noise, and felt a vibration that was growing stronger. Kinda felt like a blown motor about to window the block. Weird. Pulled forward a few feet, and realized it's not RPM dependant. Odd.

3 seconds later, I glance up and i'm rolling forward- Wait, no i'm not. What the **** it looks lik- HOLY **** THE GROUND IS MOVING NOT THE MACHINE... Look up at the slope and the entire thing is sliding towards me. I drop my phone I was going to use to take a video of the "engine noise" and pin it- Now this isn't a trail that you can really go wide open and hold it over, very rough, whooped out, rocky trail, however I don't have a choice. I'd rather put it into a tree at 50mph than sit there and hope I don't get crushed or buried alive...

So now I'm wide open throttle, doing about mach 12 on a trail that is so narrow my 64" wide machine is a tight fit as the road underneath me has turned from hard frozen ground to liquid shit in about 3 seconds, and I can feel the entire machine both bogging down, and being pushed towards the edge of the trail (it's about to pin me between a land slide, and a tree that i'm sure if about to go down the cliff with the debris flow, but the front left tire slams into a rock that rolled down the slope, pops over it, and i'm home free.

That was really, really fucking scary.

·
Administrator
3,784 Posts
So we've had record rainfall here in Canadaland, so bad that there's 3 major highways you can choose to go from our small mountain town, to a major urban area about 4 hours away, and all 3 have been washed out, mudslides accross, or flash flooded. All are closed.

I was out for a ride today, in some of the muddiest conditions i've ever ridden in, it was crazy. Never seen anything like it. Rode up to higher elevation and the mud turned into frozen ground with rivers of water running over it. At one point, I stopped as I heard a weird rumbling noise, and felt a vibration that was growing stronger. Kinda felt like a blown motor about to window the block. Weird. Pulled forward a few feet, and realized it's not RPM dependant. Odd.

3 seconds later, I glance up and i'm rolling forward- Wait, no i'm not. What the ** it looks lik- HOLY ** THE GROUND IS MOVING NOT THE MACHINE... Look up at the slope and the entire thing is sliding towards me. I drop my phone I was going to use to take a video of the "engine noise" and pin it- Now this isn't a trail that you can really go wide open and hold it over, very rough, whooped out, rocky trail, however I don't have a choice. I'd rather put it into a tree at 50mph than sit there and hope I don't get crushed or buried alive...

So now I'm wide open throttle, doing about mach 12 on a trail that is so narrow my 64" wide machine is a tight fit as the road underneath me has turned from hard frozen ground to liquid shit in about 3 seconds, and I can feel the entire machine both bogging down, and being pushed towards the edge of the trail (it's about to pin me between a land slide, and a tree that i'm sure if about to go down the cliff with the debris flow, but the front left tire slams into a rock that rolled down the slope, pops over it, and i'm home free.

That was really, really fucking scary.
Glad you're still able to tell us about it instead of......well, not able to.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why didn’t you pull over and take pics after? It’s like a alien abduction story we want the prof to good of a story.
I'm not stopping anywhere near ground that is that unstable... The probability of further slope destabilization was probably 100%. I'll get pics when things are safe.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ya man it been crazy out here. Was suppose to be riding that day also. Glad we discussed the weather and decide it wasn’t worth going out..Good to see you made it out .where are you located ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow! That's crazy! glad you made it out safe and sound.. Years ago a buddy of mine and I were down hill skiing at one of the ski resorts in Colorado and we had skied off the beaten path and a avalanche started not more than 100 feet from where we were heading, took trees down like toothpicks, ground shook like hell and scared the Sh!t out of us.. I would think after that if your trans isn't leaking now it's probably good to go! LOl

·
Registered
2021 xds turbo rr
25 Posts
Princeton? Merritt? Spences Bridge? Glad you got home safe. Here I am in the lower mainland completely cut off from my x3 stored what was a 3 or 4 hour drive away. Now it's 6 maybe 7 hours away depending if some of the roadways stay open. What I find funny is parts keep showing up from the states and I have no way to go install them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts