Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried to slow down the heat by wrapping the exhaust with fiberglass heat wrap...

IMG_3295.jpg IMG_3292.jpg IMG_3294.jpg

Don't know rather this will hurt anything but have been told it should help on the heat...

What do you think ??

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I know some head pipes having them wrapped will make them brittle and start to crack.
True with some titanium, or stainless headers. They are usually very thin walled material and don't take well to the heat being held in. Ask me how I know...:furious: Had it happen to 1 stainless, and 1 titanium header on my quads.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if I should trim some off ??? Andy ??? If so how much do you think ???

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
ehhhh,, I think your ok with what you have. Guys been doing it to thier Commanders for a while now. I don't recall any posts over there calling out a problem. Now here's the disclaimer...LOL. Thats JMO

Reactions: hooversxs

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok Thanks man.... I'll just have to fix what I screw up... I'll post it here if I do... Thanks...

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can also Ceramic coat the header if you want a hassle free heat solution (ok taking the header off might be a hassle). The problem with the wrap is when it gets soaked it loses its thermal barrier properties. Has anyone checked if the catalytic converter is the source of the heat?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure the Cat get pretty hot.... I will probably send them out this coming winter to have them ceramic coated.... I thought of the water and the extra heat held in by the wrap.... I am in the learning curve here & hope I don't screw anything up.... Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
32 Posts
The only question is what happens to the heat if it can't escape......
What else is now carrying too much heat.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Ok Thanks man.... I'll just have to fix what I screw up... I'll post it here if I do... Thanks...
If it is any consolation, I have had my commander pipes wrapped from the heads to the mufflers since day one, 1500 miles and no problems with cracking or crystalizing!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Probably 1/2 the Commander population has wrapped their exhaust & insulate the body panels to try & keep the heat down in the cab, myself included & haven't heard of or experienced any issues. I plan on doing this to my Mav as soon as it starts to warm up around here because I'm sure it's going to get warm in the Mav cab as well - I see no real changes under the plastic - looks just like my Commander

·
Registered
417 Posts
I actually love the heat in the cab winter riding here and might order some panels to run in the winter that I can put vents in so more heat escapes into the cab. Then for summer run regular or insulated panels to keep heat from getting into cab.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts