Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
Hate thieves!!! Sorry to hear this. Possibly an insider job, or help from the there. How did they know to steal that truck, or your trailer? Somebody probably tipped them off, IMO. Hopefully you have insurance, that stuff is probably across the border already.

Reactions: Ragenmike112

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
The older super duty are pretty easy to steal. And they knew what was in the trailer. Most locks don't do shit when everyone has a cordless grinder these days.
If I was going to leave my stuff in a RV storage place I would put blocks under the axles and take the valve core out of the tires.
Yeah, the more you can do, lessens the chance. I see more and more stuff being stolen out of these types of places. Just too many prying eyes. Plus, this place probably had some type of key code to open the gate, and they knew that. It is convenient to store at these places if that's the only option, but the old saying if a thief wants it......

Reactions: Hampton

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
Ya that’s my next thing. I’ll have a tracker on everything. That’s good news for your dad tho
Yeah but....

Don't tell anybody you do. Information is power, as the saying goes. If you tell a few of your friends about it, then they might in passing with no bad intentions, talk about it in a bar or somewhere that somebody else overhears, and there you have it. The "in" thieves need.

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
That really sucks - I have a satellite tracker with a base subscription that reports its position once per day - I can change the subscription with a click and get instant updates. Batteries last around 4 years... it does need to have a clear view of the sky so that it has signal though. I also have a cell version of the same thing which works well. You can geofence it so that if they unit moves you get an email... My Dad had his unit stolen about a month ago... got lucky and the police caught the bad guys driving down the road... he has a tracker now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
How much head start did the thieves have? If they get a 10 - 12 hour window, it's usually unrecoverable.

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
That stolen dually is probably already a different color by now...tweeks are proud of their rattle-can painting abilities.
So Cal is so close to the border. It's like an assembly line. Drive down with one stolen vehicle / trailer, come back in an old beater that you just park somewhere and walk away.

Reactions: LBR

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
He hadn’t installed a tracker so got very lucky. Bad guys had it for a couple of weeks, Police were doing their job and actually pulled over a sketchy setup. Bad guys have already been let out on bail…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's pretty incredible!!! That was definitely lucky!

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
Question, as I don't know a lot about these storage places:

Do they post 24 hour security? Even if it's only 1 guard?

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
Gettin across the border is a pain, they check your serial #s against the registration on everything when we go truck, trailer and toys , along with insurance , I carry a binder with all my paper work and ID Tiajuana is the worst , the federales dont mess around . But if some one knew a route that dident go thru a port of entry then they’d be gone ,
That's weird? I just did a Baja Raptor Run in October. They checked our passports, and nothing else. Really didn't give the truck a 2nd look. Poked their heads in, looked in the bed, waved us through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts