Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a 2018 2 seater X3 XRS with the front locker. As many threads talk about my suspension needs to be tuned bad. The rear end kicks off any sort of bump or ledge very dramatically. Any jump over 15 mph I feel like I would land on the roof. I have watched the youtube videos and have seen the fox tune forms etc. However I cannot seem to compress my springs and want this done by someone who knows what they're doing.

I have looked into shock therapy but would ideally like to not have to send my shocks off and pay $1000.

Does anyone know anyone who can tune them in the DFW area that is reputable or a well known forum member I could pay to have this done? Is shock therapy THAT much better than the Fox recommended tune that everyone runs at 15.5"??

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
9,958 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ, congrats.

To answer your question, YES! But not just ST, but Ed/Poundsand, and Gary/UTV Shocks.

Look at it this way, you get what you pay for. The 3 biggest tuners are basically located in the same area, so to speak. A lot of members have sent them their shocks. If you paid somebody down your way to do a shock tune, and they did a lousy job, you would have to pay again to somebody else. It adds up. I know that's not a great answer, but......

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
All,

I have a 2018 2 seater X3 XRS with the front locker. As many threads talk about my suspension needs to be tuned bad. The rear end kicks off any sort of bump or ledge very dramatically. Any jump over 15 mph I feel like I would land on the roof. I have watched the youtube videos and have seen the fox tune forms etc. However I cannot seem to compress my springs and want this done by someone who knows what they're doing.

I have looked into shock therapy but would ideally like to not have to send my shocks off and pay $1000.

Does anyone know anyone who can tune them in the DFW area that is reputable or a well known forum member I could pay to have this done? Is shock therapy THAT much better than the Fox recommended tune that everyone runs at 15.5"??

Thanks,

fyi, its $2200, not $1000

good luck,

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 2018 XRS and my plan is to just use the Fox recommendations for now. Setting the suspension to their recommendations isn't that difficult since you are just setting spring sag and adjusting clickers. Now if you want internal work done then I wouldn't attempt that even though I have done a few dirt bike foorks here and there as far as revalving them.

·
Premium Member
9,958 Posts
I have a 2018 XRS and my plan is to just use the Fox recommendations for now. Setting the suspension to their recommendations isn't that difficult since you are just setting spring sag and adjusting clickers. Now if you want internal work done then I wouldn't attempt that even though I have done a few dirt bike foorks here and there as far as revalving them.
Fox settings are OK, but you'll soon realize that more than those settings are needed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm sure you're right, I've never bought anything I haven't upgrade the suspension on over the years. So these Fox shocks need help with springs, internals or both? Or is it best to find other aftermarket boingers? For as much as these things cost you'd think Can Am would work with Fox to get them somewhat close. Just my opinion though....

·
Premium Member
9,958 Posts
I'm sure you're right, I've never bought anything I haven't upgrade the suspension on over the years. So these Fox shocks need help with springs, internals or both? Or is it best to find other aftermarket boingers? For as much as these things cost you'd think Can Am would work with Fox to get them somewhat close. Just my opinion though....
You're going to need both, IMO, valving and springs. I did the same as you on bikes, different springs, oil heights, compression and rebound clickers, and you can get a bike just about there on your own. A SXS isn't that easy, too much weight, too much travel, too many things to DIY. We have 4 great shock tuners on here, in no particular order, Ed Poundsand, Shock Therapy, UTV Shocks, and CT Raceworx. They are all excellent!

·
Registered
443 Posts
You know the ride height should be part of the original set up at the dealer for as much as they charge to cut a few straps air up the tires and check the fluids......

Before you spend the money on a suspension tune put the fox set up in it's free and only takes about 2 hours to do and will improve things a lot in the suspension!

only a few tools are needed a floor jack a few blocks of wood on top of the jack to get the wheels up off the ground a hammer and lg slotted screw driver to knock the lock rings loose and the cross over rings and a tape measure.

The front springs aren't to bad you can use the spanner wrench in the tool kit to adjust the preload on the spring if you have a friend to help spin the spring stack it's a lot easier..... the rears the spanner is useless a buddy helping makes it easier move cross over rings down a bit before adjusting the springs !

Get the ride height up to about 15" the shocks have internal bypass tubes the ride height is more important then a std shock with a piston and washer stack running the x3 low as delivered your eliminating a whole zone of dampening in the shock hence all the complaints with the stock suspension?

I'm not trying to say suspension tuning is not needed but with a few hours work you can make it a lot better for free and enjoy it for awhile before spending the big bucks on suspension upgrades.......

·
Registered
67 Posts
You know the ride height should be part of the original set up at the dealer for as much as they charge to cut a few straps air up the tires and check the fluids......

Before you spend the money on a suspension tune put the fox set up in it's free and only takes about 2 hours to do and will improve things a lot in the suspension!

only a few tools are needed a floor jack a few blocks of wood on top of the jack to get the wheels up off the ground a hammer and lg slotted screw driver to knock the lock rings loose and the cross over rings and a tape measure.

The front springs aren't to bad you can use the spanner wrench in the tool kit to adjust the preload on the spring if you have a friend to help spin the spring stack it's a lot easier..... the rears the spanner is useless a buddy helping makes it easier move cross over rings down a bit before adjusting the springs !

Get the ride height up to about 15" the shocks have internal bypass tubes the ride height is more important then a std shock with a piston and washer stack running the x3 low as delivered your eliminating a whole zone of dampening in the shock hence all the complaints with the stock suspension?

I'm not trying to say suspension tuning is not needed but with a few hours work you can make it a lot better for free and enjoy it for awhile before spending the big bucks on suspension upgrades.......
That's sort of where my head is at.....I don't know what I don't know so I will start with Fox's recommendation and see how it goes. Thanks for providing the names of susp vendors Hollywood; could come in handy.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I just did fox set up on mine. Picked up about 3" of ground clearance. Should be able to tweak settings on the next ride. Then do valving and such once i know what i ant.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Honestly your gonna want to set it up to fox specs immediately....with hi and low speed compression all the way off. It's not that the suspension is horrible. But after 2 years of rocking it the way it is fixing the issues are where I'm headed. The spring sag aaaaaaalllloooot and you can't set the compression soft enough for low speed chatter. The stock suspension is more high speed tuned the faster u go the smoother it feels but can't drive like that all the time....gonna finally have it tuned most likely from shock therapy....at fyi it's gonna be close to $2500 without shipping for their full suspension upgrade...ouch i know. But according to YouTubers and other post it's worth every penny and really the first real major upgrade that should be done....im nervous about the payout for the cost but fingers crossed. Still love this beast. So good luck..lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fyi...price for my suspension tuning should be $2500 with shipping...paid $170 to ship them..insured of course.... $2000 to have them tuned and what ever the cost is to have them shipped back next week....so shouldn't be more than $2500 total including shipping

·
Premium Member
9,958 Posts
Correction to last post I paid $170 too ship and looks like the $2000 for the shock work includes shipping back...so not as much as expected...so that's cool
I'm thinking it should have been a little less? Did you get your 5% forum discount? Also Justin just had a thread the other day about the spring prices being lower.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm thinking it should have been a little less? Did you get your 5% forum discount? Also Justin just had a thread the other day about the spring prices being lower.
I think that is the lower price..cause originally I was quoted 2150 + taxes and shipping...i didn't know about a forum discount so I loose out on that...but it's a hundred bucks so considering I was expecting to pay more I'm not too bummed about it...maybe I can work the discount in the next ST stuff I buy

·
Premium Member
9,958 Posts
I think that is the lower price..cause originally I was quoted 2150 + taxes and shipping...i didn't know about a forum discount so I loose out on that...but it's a hundred bucks so considering I was expecting to pay more I'm not too bummed about it...maybe I can work the discount in the next ST stuff I buy
Yeah, it's 5%. Next buy, get the ST Limiting Straps. Good stuff!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts