Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going down a trail at a pretty good clip, went across 2 small whoops going into a turn felt front right tire go down vehicle turned immediately turned hard right. Got it stopped wthout rolling, got out front right was flat figured we cut a tire on something looked it over then saw the wheel. It split in a straight line all the wall around. I guess when it hooked hard right it put a small bend in the tie rod, the axle is still connected but i grabbed it and it has major play in it at the wheel end can here a nice clunk. Machine has right at 5 hours on it, i hope they warranty it. Tire has zero damage, bead of rim has zero damage. No damage to arms or a arm mounts at the frame.

20140120_181001.jpg 20140120_180940.jpg 20140120_181032.jpg 20140120_181058.jpg 20140120_181138.jpg

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked pretty close and it doesn't appear it did. Need to get it cleaned up the rest of the way and check the rack for any damage. I'm just hoping can ams warranty is pretty good and will cover it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Would like to see a pic of the wheel with it off. I would think they would cover it unless something kept rubbing until it wore thin enough to brake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you caught something sharp between wheel and brakes and it teared down the metal, this wheels are one piece and you have cut it all way round with something like a sharp stone. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
its a beadlock its suppose to be in 2 pieces , lol jk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I thought about the rock getting stuck in there. After this things first 2 trips out, I had given it a thorough cleaning went all over it and check for loose bolts and greased everything. This was the 3rd trip unloaded it off the trailer went thru a few puddles and then 300ft dry dirt trail and it happened I suppose I could of picked a rock up and it did it. Aren't any marks on the inside of the wheel near where it broke. Its scratched pretty good on the outside where it rubbed the lower a arm while limping back to the trailer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have heard of this one other time on a brand new Max. Front rim splt and came off causing the frame to get bent. I was told Can Am warrantied it and replaced the frame.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
wow...glad everyone was OK. Sounds like a defective wheel since it doesn't appear to be cause by prolonged exposure to a sharp object wedged in there.....

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
wow...that's crazy...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty sure that's about the same spot mine broke at. I think it was a defective casting it broke pretty flush with the back side of the spokes. I had to leave town the work the morning after it happened when I get home I'm going to pull the wheel and get a better look at it and the caliper.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just looked closely at the broken part you can see in the first picture to me it looks like I can see some voids in the material

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's good to know I'm not the only one. Think I've just gotten a little overly concerned they might try to claim abuse if they haven't seen this much before. I would just hate to have to buy replacement parts for a machine I haven't even worn the new off of yet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If your dealer says it is not under warranty Call customer service ( the # is in the back of your owners manual) I called them on a different type of issue and they gave me a letter for the amount that I bitched about to buy Can Am parts or clothes as long as it was can am stuff. I thought that was decent of them.And I really didn't have to throw a big bitch. They were real decent to deal with.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks thats good to know. Luckily my dealer seems real good on parts,service and repair from what I heard. It's actually what made me decide to purchase it their as it wasn't the closest dealer to dealer.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Bringing this one back to the top. hbhooligan had a wheel split over the week. No injuries or other damage luckily.:serious: Not building my confidance in the stock wheels...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts