Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

Much to my dismay, I have put the machine on its roof ( half flip).

Simple medium speed u turn on dusty gravel. 2wd. Must admit I did fick it too early,my blue, flipped it back over quick smart and let sit then off again, although the misses was shaken and had a slightly grazed arm which hit the ground through the net.
Ego demoralized as the mrs puts full faith in me.??? , obviously need to get used to the balance points of the machine, very different for me being LHD,short wheelbase ,body roll, tonnes of grip. Those side biters really bit in.

Damage=

Scratched torn plastics

Passengers side bolt on cage section very slightly bent in I feel.

Some dints in new roof ( tapping the cage for roof bolts works) none pulled through.

Pissed off being it was a simple u turn slide.

Any way, I'm looking to stabilize the machine however I can, be it minimal.

ATM I have 31.5cm ( 12.4 inches) clearance at front between the 2 factory skid bolts.

Rear is at 34cm ( 13.39 inches), on back steel skid plate.

Rebound is closed off ( wound right in) as suggested).

Compression is wound right out ( front and back) as suggested.

Standard wheels/ tyres at 17psi.

Machine is wet with 3/4 tank fuel.

No persons in vehicle.

Running conditions are hard pack sandy loam/ gravel.

High speed trail running with approx 2-4 foot mound /jumps, seems to handle these quite confidently.

Issue 1:
Upon hitting these mound/jumps I am getting some rear end kick up with a nose down landing . I generally back off slightly on approach then accelerate as I hit them.

I am trying to achieve a flatter landing if possible.

Issue 2:
I am getting some under steer through the tighter higher speed turns.
Which I'd like to eliminate. More so in 4wd.

Issue 3 :
Toe setting from factory as inspected is - 5mm ( wheels pointing out slightly ?)

Issue 4 :

The factory tyres seem to have a lot of side wall flex.
Looking to go to a 14 inch beadlock rim with a true 28-29 inch cross terrain tyre keeping the same tyre all round. For me correct wheel/ tyre combo is as crucial as suspension setup.
Looking to save some weight here, and am willing to spend $$ to get the correct
Setup.

So, My intentions are ;

Lower the vehicle approx 1 inch all round.

In conjunction I will increase compression ( high & low ) 2 clicks.

Add some toe in ( 10mm) ? ,I will get a line of direction from the corresponding back wheel and set toe off that ? ,

Add 1/2 inch spacers to wheels ( cannot go any wider with my caged trailer.)
And my general trail spot is tree lined. ( Close). Or wider offset rims.

I would appreciate any feedback guys,

Thanks for all your help with my issues,greatly appreciated,
Limited help /knowledge in Aus , as the sxs scene is slowly taking off.

Cheers

Isaac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
sorry to hear about it man...shit happens. Glad to hear you and the Mrs are ok. Let me throw this out there for you to ponder......the stock tires are great all around tires but I have noticed that if you run them down on air pressure, the side walls fold very easily and in a turn such as what you described, they will fold under and then grab which will increase your chances of a tip/roll over even at low speeds....I see where you say you have the tire pressures at 17 PSI. If this is correct, than they should be fine and shouldn't cause this to occur. But I just wanted to throw that out there from my experiences as well....also, it may just be the picture but your right tie rod looks like it may have a slight bend in it. You gotta replace those stock tie rods ASAP or it will eventually cost you a lot more to repair the damage if/when one of then breaks on you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx man, all good,
Fck, I hope that tie rod ain't bent I jus installed the rackzilla last night with there new ones?
I think it's just the pick bud,will check , well spotted.

Just about to do the toe settings,

Gonna give it 10mm overall, should help with turn in and straight line stability.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea them tyres slide slide, then gripppppp.

Haven't been game to let them down, like you said they roll then grip,don't like it.

Would only let them down for crawling,or as stated sand work.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
With the shocks settings you have You are as soft as can be, and getting more body roll (I had mine set the same). Dropping the ride hieght will help some by lowering the CG, but a stiffer shock setting will help more. I increased the compression front and rear about 6 clicks. It corners much better now, with less body roll and the ride is acceptable for now. The true fix unfortunately will be a re-valve/re-spring of the shocks. When I get the $ to do so I'll be sending my shocks out to be re worked. Glad you didn't tear the wife, yourself, or the Mav up too badly.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx Andy,
Yea your right mate a re valve etc is the go,or possibly the dual rate spring setup aswell.
I've spent abit of coin on other mods, so I'm pulling up for the moment and trying to get through with what I've got.
Thanks for sharing your compression settings, I'll give that a shot, like you said that should decrease body roll somewhat.
I haven't had a huge amount of seat time in the machine so still getting used to balance points.
These machines are whole new ball game for me as I'm used to modified full size 4x4s.
It's not hard to throw some $$ at these things ,more so when your the type of person that has to get the most out of everything.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Drop your ride height to where you have exactly 5" of exposed shaft showing at ride height with no one in it. Try that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep,will do,
Currently 5 1/2 at the front

6 at the back.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
That's a big reason of why that thing is unstable. Factory is 5 3/8" on all the Maverick's i've had in here. Make sure the spring does not unseat at full droop.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I found just over 5inches at the back keeps the spring seated.Set the front the same , looks more stable already.
Turned the compression one full turn in.
Start with that and find a medium between bottoming out and ride quality/ stability I guess.
Thx for the help.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea that might flatten out the landings a little better, just worried it might create more under steer, will experiment.cheers.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
The spring controls the weight (ride height) and the valving and the shock itself control the vehicle. If you're bottoming out use the compression adjusters and add or take away compression. I always start at fully open and add compression when needed. You want the vehicle to lightly bottom out from time to time to make sure you're using all of the travel. Set front rebound 12 clicks from closed and rebound all the way closed. That will be a good starting point to gain some stability and ride quality.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
You will have to realign the front and rear as you change the ride height so dont forget to do that. You may have the perfect stability for your driving but the alignment be so out of wack it wont handle for crap. Keep that in mind as you make changes

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good call thanks mate.
Maybe a DIY thread on wheel alignment would be useful, with recommended settings.
I've set my front off the back using long bolts in the bead locks and a string line.
But in rethinking ,they need to be set off the centreline of the machine.
And I need to set the rear.
Cheers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There's a few threads about this, 1/8" front toe in and 0 toe in the back works for me. My trips usually involve rocks, mud, hardpack and long sections of high speed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok cheers, shoulda searched?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The spring controls the weight (ride height) and the valving and the shock itself control the vehicle. If you're bottoming out use the compression adjusters and add or take away compression. I always start at fully open and add compression when needed. You want the vehicle to lightly bottom out from time to time to make sure you're using all of the travel. Set front rebound 12 clicks from closed and rebound all the way closed. That will be a good starting point to gain some stability and ride quality.
Hey mate,
Did you mean front 'compression' 12 clicks from closed?

What about rear ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
K

1 - 20 of 28 Posts