Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been trying to find more info on guys running a stock primary with a clutch kit and a stm secondary and how its performing vs a full stm setup, QSC/STM set up, and any other aftermarket primary. I am running all stock still and am wanting to upgrade soon. From what ive read some guys racing and other guys running the hell out of them are having the aftermarket primarys coming apart. Thats why some maverick running the baja and other long races like that are running stock primarys. I know its not going to be the same performance as a full setup but its got to be close. How come the aftermarket primarys arent holding up to the extreme conditions and heat like the stock? Just want to get it all figured out before i dump a bunch of money into clutches. And if there is a cheaper way to get the best performing clutch i can id like to know.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
X2^^^^^

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I run a CVTech/STM setup that performs really well. I have about 1200 miles on this setup. The Mav pulls like a freight train with this setup. The only complaint I have is I lost some top end speed (9 mph) from stock, but it out accelerates most anything, and climbs big hills and dunes like nobodies business. I ran the stock primary/STM secondary on my last 2 trips just for shitz n giggles, once in the dunes and once on the hard pack. It didn't pull nearly as hard on intial acceleration, but I got some of my top end back (4 mph). I want to lighten up the secondary spring and see if that will get more top end back, then throw the CVTech back and see how that does. This pic is at the top of Oldsmobile hill, about a 400' run on the steeper part of the hill with the CVTech/STM combo.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Im kind of in the same boat....but I'd like to hear more about the QSC Primary with the stock secondary! :)

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
STM/STM combo works great for me. If anything go with STM secondary. The stock secondary creates drag on the belt which makes heat.

Aftermarket clutches are a great peace of mind with a little more performance. I like the more because I don't have to worry about breaking belts and I can drive it like I stole it all the time. There is nothing worse than going out and having to pussy foot around and worry about breaking down. Just hammer down all the time.

·
Registered
363 Posts
STM/STM combo works great for me. If anything go with STM secondary. The stock secondary creates drag on the belt which makes heat.

Aftermarket clutches are a great peace of mind with a little more performance. I like the more because I don't have to worry about breaking belts and I can drive it like I stole it all the time. There is nothing worse than going out and having to pussy foot around and worry about breaking down. Just hammer down all the time.
So the secondary is the best one to start with?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mega are you running a rage 3 or 6? And you run the dunes don't you?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you running paddles or the stock tires?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I run 90% dunes, I'm running the stock tires right now. I always run in 2wd unless I get in a little trouble. So usually in 2wd my foot is to the floor lol I like the car being loose and sliding around as wierd as it sounds I drive better that way. That can get belts hot quick as you know!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That seems to be the popular set up. What size tire front and rear? Also are you running a belt temp gauge? Just curious is you had one with a stock clutch and stm setup to see how much cool the stm setup runs. I just installed one and am curious to see how hot it gets when I run.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
That seems to be the popular set up. What size tire front and rear? Also are you running a belt temp gauge? Just curious is you had one with a stock clutch and stm setup to see how much cool the stm setup runs. I just installed one and am curious to see how hot it gets when I run.
26" rear tires on 8" wheel and 27" fronts on 7" wheel.

No temp gauge needed with the St M's. I ran the big hill in Glamis a few times and Adam jumped put and shot the temp with infrared gun. I cannot remember the twmp but it was well below any critical temp. You can look up my old post around thanksgiving for the exact number.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I will do that. Thanks for your info

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I had a good paddle set up wether it be 7 or 8 paddle standard set up or the 10-12 paddle skat glider set up with the rough buffed tires on the front, I would be in 4wd to get the most out of my set up. If I'm running with a group and we're moving at a pretty good pace I will usually run 4wd. Definsntly gives you more control and speed. But for just general duning I'll run 2wd.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I love to slide sideways, but I could actually go faster in the bowls. It carves through the corners better in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts