Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on sending my QSC off and getting a 2 way bearing installed. I was planning on putting the stock primary on so I could ride if I wanted to. Will it work ok with a STM secondary or do I need to put the stock secondary on? Has anybody tried this or heard of it being done?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
What is the benefit of a two way bearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I had mine converted over a few months back since I smoked a new belt after only 30 minutes of use with the new clutches. The bearing has no impact on engine braking because the diameter of the bearing is too small (= less surface area) to hold the belt and keep it from slipping when the clutches disengage as compared to the stock primary. So basically the one-way bearing buys you nothing and adds a higher probability of smoking the underside of your belt if you coast down hills with the clutches disengaged. With the 2-way bearing, you can coast down hills and the bearing will spin and will not have the potential to slip and burn up your belt.

I will add that I don't make this a common practice because even though the bearing does spin, it is spinning rather fast and does start to whine pretty loud if you get going too fast. But since the change, I have had zero issues with my belt and no noticable difference in the engine braking.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Sorta true. You have to keep the RpMs up to engagement speed to have engine braking while going down hill.

Two way bearing is better for belt life and heat.
Welcome back Mega!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I had mine converted over a few months back since I smoked a new belt after only 30 minutes of use with the new clutches. The bearing has no impact on engine braking because the diameter of the bearing is too small (= less surface area) to hold the belt and keep it from slipping when the clutches disengage as compared to the stock primary. So basically the one-way bearing buys you nothing and adds a higher probability of smoking the underside of your belt if you coast down hills with the clutches disengaged. With the 2-way bearing, you can coast down hills and the bearing will spin and will not have the potential to slip and burn up your belt.

I will add that I don't make this a common practice because even though the bearing does spin, it is spinning rather fast and does start to whine pretty loud if you get going too fast. But since the change, I have had zero issues with my belt and no noticable difference in the engine braking.
Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
you bet.....don't want others to learn this the hard way like I did....and don't get me wrong...having a 1-way bearing isn't necessarily a bad thing. Knowing how things work and that you need to keep the clutches engaged will minimize the risk of burning the belt. But I just wanted to make it clear that the 1-way bearing doesn't provide any engine breaking below disengagement like the stock primary does....which is why an aftermarket primary will not EB as well as a stock primary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts