Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my mav for about a month and a half but this last weekend was my first weekend with a big ride. I went with seven friends who all had xps and we all went to Coos Bay Oregon for the weekend. Anyways I will start by saying the mav fit and finish is much better, it looks better, it sounds better and in a straight line I could pull my buddy with a stage 1.5 alba setup without paddle tires on the stock mav. Having said that as soon as we hit the sandy whooped out trails that lasted 2-5 miles at a time the mav was terrible. I couldnt keep up with one of them the ride was so bad my girl rode with one of my xp friends. After complaining about it for a whole day the fastest guy in our group switched with me I drove his xp and he couldnt pull away from me at all. He even said that the machine was top heavy and very very harsh in the whoops and hard to go fast in. I called Alex at CT Racing first thing this morning and he assured me that a re valve is almost mandatory and some tires with a wider offset will fix my problem. I will be sending him my stuff shortly. Anyways I am just shocked that nobody on here has posted how bad the mav is out of the box. I was shocked and a bit frustrated by it all.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as saying it is "horrible" because thats a bit drastic... BRP sets it up for virtually any riding condition from the factory. You should ID your most frequent riding conditions and dial in specifically for that.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Did you check to see where your shock settings are at or attempt to fine tune them? The Factory shocks may not be the greatest but I wouldn't say horrible. I can hit whoops 50-60mph no problem but the slower I go the rougher it is. A dual rate set-up is definately the way to go. The whooped roads to spinreel or to the beach suck because you can't go very fast due to the possiblity of running into someone head on and the whoops can be deep.. I'm going up in July, figure I will have to play with shock adjustments when we get there for that type of riding.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well all I can say is that the ride in the stock xp was so much better it was shocking. I do like my mav I just in no way was expecting it to be as top heavy as it was or as bad in the rough stuff as it was. I will send my shocks to CT Racing and hope for the best. I do agree shocks need to be set up for different riding styles but stock for stock the Mav was no where near the stock xp in rider confidence or ride control over the whoops.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SickStick we did mess with them a bit Im sure we could have gotten them better, was just wishing it would have been atleast comparable to the xp, and it was not.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I went to the sand at Sand Lake Or. this last week end. My 1st trip to any sand dunes. My Maverick was the hit of the weekend. Every body loved it including me. I had never been in the sand before and I had a blast. I couldn't be happier. I came from an 800 xt. This is my first SXS. I adjusted my shocks the way it was recommended in this link.

http://www.maverickforums.net/forum/23-can-am-maverick-1000xrs/788-xrs-shock-settings.html

I only had 3 hours on it before I got there. I had no sand riding before so I have nothing to compare it to. I did see 60 mph across some rutted out areas. I rode a new sport quad across the same area and almost got bucked off, I didn't have the nerve to get it over 45.
It looked to me that you had to get the speed just right for the size of the whoops. I bottomed the shocks out 1 time. I have the xrs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some pics of the weekend Im sure you can guess which one is mine. I would love to say Im a horrible driver but more than one other person drove it and said it needed serious help with the shocks. Im just wishing the adjustments were that far off we shall see what Alex can muster up.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
I'm sure you would have no trouble trading your XRS for an XPeee. Don't give up yet, it is a better machine, you just gotta dial it in man

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am happy with the ride, I stiffened my rear reload about a half inch backed my compression off a it and closed my rebound all the way, but I am absolutely disheartened with the speed or lack there of. My 2011 xp takes me off the line and all the way through my top speed of 67mph. Not Impressed at all. If I would have known this thing was gonna be such a dog I would have just bought another xp. So now my new maverick is sitting at the dealership getting trouble shot by guys that know less about it than me. The whole thing is just bad. But my fit and finish is definately top notch.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I said 5 months ago that the ride through the whoops was very harsh. I took out the first 2 large valving shims on all my shocks, and it's much better now. And it still handles the big hits just fine. Here's some pics of rethreading a shrader valve to convert it so I can service them, and of the stock valving.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have had my mav for about a month and a half but this last weekend was my first weekend with a big ride. I went with seven friends who all had xps and we all went to Coos Bay Oregon for the weekend. Anyways I will start by saying the mav fit and finish is much better, it looks better, it sounds better and in a straight line I could pull my buddy with a stage 1.5 alba setup without paddle tires on the stock mav. Having said that as soon as we hit the sandy whooped out trails that lasted 2-5 miles at a time the mav was terrible. I couldnt keep up with one of them the ride was so bad my girl rode with one of my xp friends. After complaining about it for a whole day the fastest guy in our group switched with me I drove his xp and he couldnt pull away from me at all. He even said that the machine was top heavy and very very harsh in the whoops and hard to go fast in. I called Alex at CT Racing first thing this morning and he assured me that a re valve is almost mandatory and some tires with a wider offset will fix my problem. I will be sending him my stuff shortly. Anyways I am just shocked that nobody on here has posted how bad the mav is out of the box. I was shocked and a bit frustrated by it all.
Thats funny.

The stock shocks that come on the Mav are second to none compared to other stock shocks. You just need to adjust them to your riding style. With that being said, there are more adjustment options on the XRS model shocks than you can hope to find on most aftermarket shocks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If the Maverick is that bad get rid of it!! I just got back from SilverLake MI, and mine performed awesome!! I'm a really aggressive driver so I had a couple of issues with mine that I will take care of when I pull the shocks apart. Overall the stock shocks work really good.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
There is so much room for improvement in these shocks. They are no where close to valved right. I understand what BRP did and the majority of the people aren't going to complain to the point of where the shocks need to be opened up. But for the people that really want the most out of the shocks, they need to be revalved to almost completely change the shock's characteristics. As many people know this is a service that we offer.

For the record I thought the factory settings in the shocks were terrible. We went to a track that we raced last year and my Teryx with tuned Fox shocks and 7" of travel was faster than a Maverick in the rough stuff. This last race we won our shock/spring package was much better than stock but the full race package still needs some work.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yes the stock shocks springs are way to stiff and the valving SUCKS but once you get it right you are in heaven. There are so many factors to valving, it depends on your driving weight of you and your vehicle. I had a Don work on mine and for me it just works great, chek out the vid section.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glamisfan thanks for uploading all of that!!! I switched with three of the group and all of the xps felt better than the mav. I dont want to sell it just frustrated everyone told me not to buy it I did Im the odd one in the group and the first showing was less than impressive thats for sure. Like I said I talked to AReed for a bit yesterday and I feel that we can make this much better. I find it hard to think that the potential isnt there. Just wasnt expecting it is all. Im not giving up yet!!!! :)

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Let your buddy's talk shit about the mav but I bet they don't tell ya there replacing a arm bushing every 300 miles replacing ball joints there rear axles bending motors using oil after only 1000 miles a arm mounts riping off there frames. Belts blowing and all the rattles they have after 500 miles I know I work on all my buddy's Rzrs There quality of material used to build them aren't on par with a canam once you get the susp dialed in you will love it

·
Registered
806 Posts
Let your buddy's talk shit about the mav but I bet they don't tell ya there replacing a arm bushing every 300 miles replacing ball joints there rear axles bending motors using oil after only 1000 miles a arm mounts riping off there frames. Belts blowing and all the rattles they have after 500 miles I know I work on all my buddy's Rzrs There quality of material used to build them aren't on par with a canam once you get the susp dialed in you will love it
Don't think I would have thrown in the coment about belts. lol. Just kidding, calm down.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts