Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got a chance to go test the CT Racing Shocks this weekend in WV. Calling for 90% chance of rain Friday and 80% Saturday and snow Sunday. I don't care at this point, I'm gone! Unload Friday a little after lunch, load up my BRP bag with goodies and tell my wife and 11 other machines lets go. Let's go back a month or so with my talk with Alex at Ct Racing. Alex, I've had this base model machine a year, it is s much softer set up then all my buddies XRS models with the 2.5 shocks. I like mine way better in the woods then the 2.5's. Way better rebound in stock form then the 2.5's. BUT I am bottoming out bad when I race, can you keep my plushness in the woods and stiffen me up for the track? WOW, I want the best of both worlds ALEX. Can you give me that? Bring it up here and lets start testing, so I did a few weeks back, we spent all day on his small test track. At the end of the day I liked what I felt on his track. No huge doubles, but some doubles and lots of whoops. OK, I'm satisfied here now we need to put to test in the woods, that's where we are at this weekend. Only put in 27 miles that afternoon, half the group was new and I really got aggravated trying to put some miles in that afternoon.The group in the back seemed more interested in drinking beverages and talking junk to each other, tomorrow will be another story. On with the handling, my new changes with the shocks were New Blackwaters which are 8 ply, so there is another thing to consider. 8 plys are not going to ride as plush and smooth on rocks as the stock 6 plys. So now I'm really putting some thought into this ride, Anyhow, yes it was a somewhat a stiffer ride then I had remembered from last ride 5 weeks ago with a stock setup and tires. At the end of the day I wondering is this due to 8 ply tires or the shock setup. So a few beers that night and wondering what to do for day two. I am somewhat up to date on shocks and springs, and especially with the dual rate setup as that is what we use on our dirt super late model. I go out Saturday Morn. to check things out and I noticed that the lockout rings that Alex had installed did not have the proper height on them. Probably due to mud, cooler, tool bag, etc. (That means with a dual rate setup that one spring is softer then the other, and when do you want the stiffer spring to take over and keep from bottoming out. WOW, we loaded up and picked our little group of seven riders with 3 of them being YELLOW (MAVERICKS) up front in front of the PoPo's. Now , we hauled ass that day. Over a 100 miles in the HARD RAIN. And I am pleased to say, what a huge difference there was in the ride that day. I had my soft ride back and with plenty of adjustment on the compression side to go racing with. Now I've not been on the race track yet hitting the 50 - 60 ft doubles yet, but I can tell we are leaps and bounds ahead of the game. I like what I feel so far. Alex is really great to work with. (KEEP IN MIND TO TELL HIM YOUR WEIGHT AND YOUR RIDING PARTNER IF YOU RIDE WITH ONE AND HOW HEAVY YOUR COOLER MIGHT BE 12 or 24 PACK!!!!!!!!) I'm out of here.............................

·
Registered
227 Posts
Great news. I will be testing my set in the dunes and Deseret trails next week. I'll report when complete.

Reactions: Joe and Stevemen18

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
As of right now 3 people will be running the 2.0 shock work as of this weekend. Two of them have already have ran, one was Steve, the other is a local guy running them on a motocross style track and the third is Craig and he'll be running his this coming weekend. I'm confident that this is going to be the answer to the guys that have the 2.0s that want more performance out of them and I feel like this tune is one the money but Ill know for sure next week. This will also be able to compensate for the heavier Maverick's that have a lot of add on's or carry extra gear.
Again this 2.0 shock tune is not a full on racing setup like we offer with some of the 2.5 tunes. This is more of an aggressive trail riding tune. Its going to be just a plush as the factory setup, have more bottom out resistance and reduce if not eliminate bucking.
The dual rate setup is a little more sensitive to weight now that we have two springs compressing instead of one so letting my know about different weights that you run and different setups are critical and may also need some adjustments to ride height from time to time.
We're still working on the measurements of getting them setup and sent out the door so its a plug and play setup but that's something that we'll be able to work on and get dialed in after the first couple of sets.
Price for this setup is going to be $975. That includes 8 springs, 4 sliders, 8 crossover rings to make it a true adjustable dual rate, 8 aluminum spring cups, and all our internal work. Our 2.5 setup is proven to be one of the best setups out there and I'm sure these 2.0s will be the same way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is awesome to hear. Thanks for all your work on this. Can not wait! When do you think you'll be ready to start receiving shocks? I only ask because i have 2-3 weeks of down time coming up and it could be perfect timing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Do you offer a Rear Only Upgrade that can help with going through whoops sections?

I'm actually quite pleased with my Base Model and the 2.0 Shocks, After some compression adjustment I've reduced the bottoming out But traveling through whoops could be improved. (I May only see a Long whoop section a few times a year as they are only in one of my riding areas. Florence OR)

·
Registered
640 Posts
That should be my XXC that Alex has flying around his test track... probably faster and higher than I am brave enough to try! But it should handle anything I will throw at it!

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
We rated the springs today and did a little testing. We have new springs on order and we're going to dive into the shocks tomorrow to figure out where the valving is. Apparently a lot of people have issues with the XXC's dancing and bucking a lot so we'll get that handled. Once we have the test setup installed I'll post some pictures.

·
Registered
640 Posts
....sounds promising! Now I am like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts