Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a review on what I noticed going from stock 29 bighorn to 30” mrt’s on my ds r.
I waited forever for rims and tires it seems. I did not know how much of a difference they made until after I got them. Thought I would post what changes I noticed for other on the fence with the larger purchase items

I primarily run wooded and dirt/rock trails. Sometimes at beer drinking speeds, sometimes trying to set a record or blow the engine up.

With my stock tires and rims, bighorn 2’s 14” x 29” I was getting a lot of under steer. Front end just kind of kept pushing on any surface while turning.. Inside of back rims were screwed too. Even with the scrapers removed. They also destroyed anything I drove over, very tough if your trying to keep planted/groomed trails. Ride was a little rough, I didn’t know that until I got the new ones on.

I went with 30 x 15 x 9 mrt race all the way around. I did not like the look of the small rear skinny tires after I got them on. But I got them to use, not to stare at. I started at 15 psi per recommendation. Way to rough, dropped to 10psi. Ride awesome. Steering is a lot tighter and responsive now. Buggy tracks great through corners and actually turns around at low speeds now without having to austin power it. Fixed the tippy feeling in corners at high speeds. Quiet on pavement, great traction on all river rock hills (was a little iffy with the bighorns on these hills lot of slip) They don’t tear up trails or roads driving moderately. I did a couple hard launch/top end runs for data logging purposes on pavement. Seem like a little to much grip for my hp level right now (aa 2). Felt like a lot of undo stress on my machine. I did notice some excess slipping in soft sand on slow take off. Blip of the go pedal and she hooked right up. So I’m gonna say not a good tire for silt/dry sand.
Over all it feels like a different buggy and I kicked myself for not getting them as a first purchase.

So if your on the fence of cost vs benefit, just upgrade. I’m not saying the same as I got but anything besides stock if any of the above issues concern you.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do you run in 2wd or 4wd most of the time? My XDS will under steer in 2wd a bit but in 4wd it turns and tracks very good. I have the stock 29s. I have thought about going to 30s all around. The 29s work so good though that i am just going to wear them out. Maybe then i will go bigger. I don't need anymore ground clearance and i want to keep the center of gravity low. It is good to hear that your new tires work well for you. Surprised to hear of the handling problems you had with 29s. Not my experience at all but maybe I don't know what I am missing either.

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 or 4 still pushed. I thought the buggy was great with the stock set up, now it’s like a rally car for handling. Able to run the trails a lot faster now when I want to. Way more predictable and stable in the corners. I didn’t need any more ground clearance. That’s why I just did the 30’s.
That’s mostly hard packed. Story may be different in the loose stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi - new to forum and just jumping from a YXZ to an X3 RC.

I threw away the OE Bighorns and moved to 15" Maxxis 764s. It transformed the ride, pretty much as you have found.

I ended up running about 10psi on the front (to give good bite) but about 18psi in the rear so that, in 2WD, I could steer it on the throttle on fast dirt roads.

I appreciate that I'm not comparing like with like, but, none the less, I'd suggest that you experiment with higher rear pressures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts