Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new STM secondary installed and now I have a question. I also installed a new belt. So now I am wondering if the belt is suppose to ride just a little higher than the clutch's pulley? Meaning is the top of the belt suppose to be flush with the top of the pulley or can it ride a little above it? The STM came with shim washer's to allow for belt adjustment. I just want to make sure it all good, so anyone that has info please post up. thanks

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have mine out tuning it right now. Give me am hour and ill check, but I believe yes---

What is your setup- tires wheels etc and what is your clutch setup? QSC/STM?

What weights and what helix?

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
I got my new STM secondary installed and now I have a question. I also installed a new belt. So now I am wondering if the belt is suppose to ride just a little higher than the clutch's pulley? Meaning is the top of the belt suppose to be flush with the top of the pulley or can it ride a little above it? The STM came with shim washer's to allow for belt adjustment. I just want to make sure it all good, so anyone that has info please post up. thanks
Yes it rides high. You won't need the shims. You're good to go

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Didn't need the shims either. Ur good to go maverick!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Assuming the same principles apply here as on a snowmobile CVT setup. The belt should ride where the outer most edge of the tapered sidewall of the belt is riding on the top tapered edge of the clutch sheaves. This will result in the belt appearing to ride higher than the clutch sheaves but in actuality, the surfaces that make contact will be aligned correctly.The rest of the belt surface does not make contact with the clutch sheaves so it shouldn't be taken into account for belt tension setup. Also, if you have the belt riding too low in the clutch, it will effect your gear ratio and you will start out in too high of a ratio. You may not notice it but you will not be getting the most out of your clutches and it will effect your setup.....with all of that said, you still have to take into account the primary to seconday alignment, and belt length and width etc.....so in a perfect world, if you have a new belt and everything is in spec, your belt should ride slightly above the secondary clutch sheaves.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I believe you should see about an 1/8 " of the belt above the sheaves

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have mine out tuning it right now. Give me am hour and ill check, but I believe yes---

What is your setup- tires wheels etc and what is your clutch setup? QSC/STM?

What weights and what helix?
My QSC was set up for the stock rims & tires. I don't know what weights or helix I got. I just told him what type of riding I do and he said he'll set it up. The new belt is riding about 1/8" above the STM pulley. Sounds like that's how it is suppose to be.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it rides high. You won't need the shims. You're good to go
Ok. The fiber cord is just about even with the clutch pulley. So it is maybe about 1/8" higher.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
This is correct.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw the picture of Andy's STM yesterday and noticed he had a different color spring. Mine is black and his is lime green. So I emailed Kris from CBP who sold me my complete QSC /STM set up. As suspected, the difference is because Andy is running the CVTech primary and it works better with the stiffer lime green spring. I bought both my clutches at the same time and setup to run stock tires. Andy bought is clutches separate which is ok, but for the guys that want to do this, you should get the primary first like Andy did. Then buy your secondary to run with whatever primary you have. Other wise you could be changing springs and trying to dial in your secondary.

I ran mine down the street for the first last night since I got the Muzzy installled. Holy crap...Frekin AWESOME!!! I was easy on it since the belt was brand new but I got the front wheels off the ground a couple inches. My buddy just about shit his pants.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Video's....we need to see it!!! Sounds like you got it dialed in for sure....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Video's....we need to see it!!! Sounds like you got it dialed in for sure....
Sorry but it wont be for a while, since the car is headed to the shop for new cage & doors

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
your killing me :shocked:

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I saw the picture of Andy's STM yesterday and noticed he had a different color spring. Mine is black and his is lime green. So I emailed Kris from CBP who sold me my complete QSC /STM set up. As suspected, the difference is because Andy is running the CVTech primary and it works better with the stiffer lime green spring. I bought both my clutches at the same time and setup to run stock tires. Andy bought is clutches separate which is ok, but for the guys that want to do this, you should get the primary first like Andy did. Then buy your secondary to run with whatever primary you have. Other wise you could be changing springs and trying to dial in your secondary.

I ran mine down the street for the first last night since I got the Muzzy installled. Holy crap...Frekin AWESOME!!! I was easy on it since the belt was brand new but I got the front wheels off the ground a couple inches. My buddy just about shit his pants.
LOL, see... I only had 6 psi in the rear tires when I pulled the fronts off the ground. After I put air in the tires, 18 in the rears, I got some good burnouts.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Glad to see you have it lined out!

Andy, how'd the secondary work? I haven't heard back from ya and am very curious

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL, see... I only had 6 psi in the rear tires when I pulled the fronts off the ground. After I put air in the tires, 18 in the rears, I got some good burnouts.
Yeah it's pretty impressive! You will wear out those BH's in a heartbeat running it in the street. I got a little smoke from the burnout and my buddy was speechless.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Andy, how'd the secondary work? I haven't heard back from ya and am very curious

Speaking of springs. Both my springs are silver!!

QSC/STM Gen 1- straight 40 helix

The QSC is setup w

Cross hole - 3/8 set screws
Base- empty
Mid- 3/8 set screw
Tip- 1/4 set screw

I have 27" tires on 14" bead locks roof, windshield etc.

My performance is good but I still feel like there is a little more. I would actually like to lower my RPMs they are 7950 to 8000. I get more top speed around 7500 oddly enough, but tuning I'm either 7950 to 8000 or 7500. (3/8 to 1/4) in tip. What do you think of my setup? Do I need your springs? I would love to be at 7700... I think.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

Seems to work pretty damn good Kris. I did take 1 shim out (had 2), and been playing with the CVTech. I went heavier on the weights with the CVTech, and lost some rpm, so I went back to the 3-2004's and 3-2006's. Rpm's climbs steadily to 7900 up to 50-55 mph. I run out of room on my street to get any faster, but its still pulling hard when I have to shut it down. I'm going to lighten up just a little more on the weights and see if I cant get up to 8000 in the same distance (little less than 1/8 mile). We'll see in a couple weeks when we go back to Pismo how the top end is.

Tell you what though, the Mav launches noticably harder with the STM secondary, than it did with the stocker

1 - 20 of 28 Posts