Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ok, I'm a little freaked out now. This is the 5th one way bearing I have heard of failing. My brand new rage 3s one way bear came apart in less than 3 miles on it. I'm waiting to get the primary back now but what if it's just happens again. I have pics but honestly STM has been so good with this I don't want to put any damaging info or photos out there. When it happened I called them up n they immediately gave my a ups number n said they will have it out the same day it comes in. Has anyone else had there one way bearing seiz or come apart? Is it something in the install? Idk but around the shop it did great than took it out n didn't get 2mile b4 it happened. Like I said though they have been great n really cool, but that doesn't help me if it happens again cause I play in the mud/water Everytime this happens I have to unseal the housing, scrap for a hour then reseal tight when done. I'm just lil worried that's all
no mud and water in mine... just about 300 miles of trail riding and the one way bearing was completely seized and came apart, noticed it because i was having a hard time getting it to shift.. if i was closer i would give it a second try, but due to being all the way in alaska and not being very happy with them anyway, THEN the broken clutch bolt, it was just too much, sent them back, hoping for a refund.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I didn't actually get any water or mud in the housing just saying I have to seal it Everytime I go in here so it's ALot of work:crying:
But same thing it was hard to shift but they said new belt will do that then it wouldn't stop finally when I stopped it it stalled. Then anytime I put it in gear it would stall that's when they told me to trailer the bike, get it home n take it apart. I did to find the bearing in pieces in the primary. Wonder if a two way bearing would be better for me? I'm not a clutch guy as u see. I'm all chassis n suspension :disappointed:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Have not had any problem with my two way bearing in my STM rage 6 yet (knock on wood) I did however blow a belt at about 80 miles and the two way bearing moves side to side now because the thrust washers as well as the stage 1 arms were damaged when the belt blew. I am going to attempt to remove the spider and replace the thrust washers tonight. I am also going to try a different helix in the secondary to see If I can get it to stop slipping the belt.

LBS, I ride mud and water as well and I always put my CVT cover together clean & dry ever since they came out with the upgraded 13 bolt cover. (I used to silicon seal my old 7 bolt covers) I have never had a problem with the 13 bolt cover leaking yet.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have about 300 miles on mine with r6 and gen2 no issues at all. I will be racing my b- in -law and his maverick tomorrow...to me it seems fine ...when did you fellas get yours maybe they fixed any problems ple reported...I am happy so far with mine. I get about 74mph without a problem (less then 600ft). I think that the clutches ingage way faster on trails then just flat out punch it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
im glad to hear someone else with the same top speed and not happy issue with this stm, I spent over 20 hours changing weights and testing I cant get over 71mph and I don't see it being any faster, one way bearing is also moving back and forth a little and I only have 15 miles on them, im pissed anyone want to buy them ????

·
Registered
446 Posts
im glad to hear someone else with the same top speed and not happy issue with this stm, I spent over 20 hours changing weights and testing I cant get over 71mph and I don't see it being any faster, one way bearing is also moving back and forth a little and I only have 15 miles on them, im pissed anyone want to buy them ????
Sure if you make it a sweet enough deal. Lol

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
STM has updated thrust washers now. I also had a little side to side movement on my one way bearing which was also shot in very little time. Looks to me as if my belt was too tight with 2 washers in the secondary. There was rubber on my one way bearing which appeared to have gotten really hot. I am swapping over to a 2 way bearing now. However, My top speed didn't change from stock to STM. It governs at 123kph(77mph).

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
The stock maverick clutch is a damn good clutch when its clutched right and installed correctly with the new recall stud for a stock 70 rwhp maverick

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
ive heard people online with over 10000 miles on stock clutchs on there quads The stock clutch is built well just not designed well because the two halfs can slip

·
Registered
272 Posts
Had a 2 way put in mine so far so good. Haven't put a lot of miles on it maybe 30 but alls well. No top speed loss on mine either. My one way seized up as well that's why I went with two way. My two way will slide side to side maybe 3/16" I was told this is ok, what do y'all think.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Had a 2 way put in mine so far so good. Haven't put a lot of miles on it maybe 30 but alls well. No top speed loss on mine either. My one way seized up as well that's why I went with two way. My two way will slide side to side maybe 3/16" I was told this is ok, what do y'all think.
I had about same amount of movement from side to side as you when my thrust washers were burnt off. Maybe shoot Matt at STM an email. PM me your email address and I can send a short video of movement that was in mine.

·
Registered
278 Posts

the primary clutch is 1/4 inch smaller that factory.... they will not have the top end speed of stock... measure it!! lol

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
the primary clutch is 1/4 inch smaller that factory.... they will not have the top end speed of stock... measure it!! lol
This is assuming your stock clutches were working correctly and you were getting full shift out….

·
Registered
791 Posts
I was having some speed issues as well and I am still not sure they are completely resolved. I am beginning to think that the problem might be related to to the inner bushing on the movable sheave in the primary getting hung as it travels inward over the one-way/two-way bearing. I pulled the spring out of mine G2/R6 and to move the sheave all the way in and out by hand, it does not slide easily at all. It seems to stick on the bearing. I think that might be preventing full shift out during operation.

STM has updated thrust washers now. I also had a little side to side movement on my one way bearing which was also shot in very little time. Looks to me as if my belt was too tight with 2 washers in the secondary. There was rubber on my one way bearing which appeared to have gotten really hot. I am swapping over to a 2 way bearing now. However, My top speed didn't change from stock to STM. It governs at 123kph(77mph).
I got new thrust washers in the mail yesterday. They are made or white plastic. Don't even look worth installing to me. No way they are going to last.

I don't think it has anything to do with your belt being to tight. I am running mine with only one shim in the secondary and it is just enough that the belt barely turns at idle in neutral. That is the way I like it, makes shifting easy. The rubber one your bearing would be because it is NFG and was not turning.

Do us a favour, before you change your bearing check how easily you can slide your movable sheave in to full shift and back out with no spring in your primary with your current bearing installed.

My two way slides back and forth about that much as well. I can't see it lasting. It does not look like much of a bearing to begin with, and sliding back and forth like that is just going to drive a bunch of crap into it can wear it out sooner IMO

This will not necessarily effect top speed. The STM when functioning properly probably pushes the belt higher in the sheaves than the stock, might even push it far enough that the top portion of the belt is riding out above the sheaves at full shift out. I know my QSC is like that.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was on the fence with the 6 or airdam. Then wondered if I made right choice. Now I feel better . Yes its just some glitches that will get worked out but ....... less money and no problems. Been running /// on all my bikes for years. Never a problem. And to get it set up by adam is a plus

If Im on the side of the trail posting ... its because Im waiting for you to catch up.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Here is a video of mine last night. I was trying to demonstrate that the clutches do not seem to be properly aligned. Watch the video and pay attention to the fact that the belt is riding tight to the moveable sheave at idle (enough that it squeaks and causes it to turn a bit in neutral) and there is about a 3/16" gap between the belt and the inside fixed sheave. In order to engage the belt has to be pushed over to contact the inner sheave causing it to bend between the primary and secondary.

Hoping on of the clutching gurus will chime in a let me know if this is acceptable or if it should be addressed.

21 - 40 of 141 Posts