Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just had Kelly from KMS Performance install and fine tune my new STM's and all I have to say is holy sheet! It is a whole different machine now I wish I would of put this setup on it the day I brought it home.

My xp1000 buddy is going to be pissed! hehehe

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yep, clutches make it a whole different animal.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
race him and let us know !

kms is a maverick depot they know there can ams

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Please tell us you didnt already spill the beans to him...right? Cuz the look on his face will be priceless!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He dosen't have a clue. He is going to be very dusty!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
whens the race lol

·
Registered
486 Posts
I Have the rage 6 Stm clutch And Secondary as well....does anyone know the gains to compare....I have 200ft and 500ft numbers from stock Maverick and after new clutches...

·
Registered
278 Posts
just what i have noticed with stm rage 6 and stm secondary - gen 2... seat of the pants is awesome, holeshot feels awesome, you crest a small bump and it wheelies instead of just lunging over. Without doing actual comparison with another machine it FEELS way faster, SEAT OF THE PANTS... now i have two of these machines and before the clutches were installed they were a dead even run in a drag race, AFTER the clutches were installed the STM only gained about 2 machine lengths over the stock machine in a drag race... now out riding, we have some pretty big sand hills to climb, climb straight up until you cannot go any farther and back up-- this is where i was hoping to see the biggest improvement with the STM, and it is actually where i noticed NO improvement over stock, stock machine would climb just as high as the STM machine-- disappointed... now after roughly 300 miles on the STM clutches, the oneway bearing on the primary failed... so while removing the primary clutch bolt (that was provided by STM) it took very little torque and broke off!!! threads still in the crankshaft !!! Yes this broke REMOVING the bolt! re-installing stock clutches and sent these back to STM...

Not to Hijack the thread but the point is make sure it is quicker than a stock one before you race that rzr 1000, sometimes if it FEELS quicker it is not always ACTUALLY quicker... lol and yes the STM's we had were tuned properly, i have a lot of background with clutches from snowmobiles to rzr's, when we first got the STM they felt good but were not ANY quicker in a drag race, after a full day of tuning best we saw again was roughly 2 lengths.

Also, STM told me clutches were same diameter and WOULD NOT LOSE ANY top end speed, FALSE!! STM primary is 1/4" smaller in diameter than the oem factory primary, the machine did 76mph on digital speedo stock and with STM it would only do 73....

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
just what i have noticed with stm rage 6 and stm secondary - gen 2... seat of the pants is awesome, holeshot feels awesome, you crest a small bump and it wheelies instead of just lunging over. Without doing actual comparison with another machine it FEELS way faster, SEAT OF THE PANTS... now i have two of these machines and before the clutches were installed they were a dead even run in a drag race, AFTER the clutches were installed the STM only gained about 2 machine lengths over the stock machine in a drag race... now out riding, we have some pretty big sand hills to climb, climb straight up until you cannot go any farther and back up-- this is where i was hoping to see the biggest improvement with the STM, and it is actually where i noticed NO improvement over stock, stock machine would climb just as high as the STM machine-- disappointed... now after roughly 300 miles on the STM clutches, the oneway bearing on the primary failed... so while removing the primary clutch bolt (that was provided by STM) it took very little torque and broke off!!! threads still in the crankshaft !!! Yes this broke REMOVING the bolt! re-installing stock clutches and sent these back to STM...

Not to Hijack the thread but the point is make sure it is quicker than a stock one before you race that rzr 1000, sometimes if it FEELS quicker it is not always ACTUALLY quicker... lol and yes the STM's we had were tuned properly, i have a lot of background with clutches from snowmobiles to rzr's, when we first got the STM they felt good but were not ANY quicker in a drag race, after a full day of tuning best we saw again was roughly 2 lengths.

Also, STM told me clutches were same diameter and WOULD NOT LOSE ANY top end speed, FALSE!! STM primary is 1/4" smaller in diameter than the oem factory primary, the machine did 76mph on digital speedo stock and with STM it would only do 73....
wow, you are the first i have heard of to not like the STM and to send it back.

·
Registered
278 Posts
again SEAT OF THE PANTS was great, if i didn't have a second machine to compare against i would think they were the best thing since sliced bread!! but in actual performance not that happy with the results for $2000, also i have belt temp gauges in both machines, riding in the same conditions, at the same time, belt temps were identical oem vs STM, i would think if the STM was more efficient it would run less temperature.. ? i was still happy with them even though the performance was not what i was hoping for until the bearing failed on the primary, then noticed the bolt was obviously ready to break when i barely put any pressure on it to remove it and SNAP! also one of the little cam arms (one of the rage 6 arms) was not moving freely like it should... i am in alaska so it is expensive to send these back and not to mention the down time...

i am not trying to bash these clutches, it is possible that i just got the one in a million that did not work, i am just saying that sometimes when something FEELS faster that does not always mean that it is, kinda like loud exhaust on a pick up truck or some exhaust systems for side by sides, you get a lot of noise and it FEELS faster, but it ACTUALLY is not!! i have been lucky to have two of every machine that i have had, so when i change something i can compare apples to apples and KNOW the ACTUAL difference, and YES these clutches are a little quicker in a drag race and the throttle response is noticeably better, but they are NOT as much quicker as they show in their video on their website... also they will admit that they did not run those two machines against each other before they installed the clutches (stock vs stock) to get a true comparison.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the clutches. One comment I would like to make is that if all you are doing is drag racing from a dead stop on flat ground or up a hill, the only benefit you will see from an aftermarket clutch is in the initial (starting) gear ratio which is lower than the OEM clutches due to a smaller one or two way bearing. This is assuming your stock clutches are also tuned correctly. Where you see the biggest improvement over stock will be in the back shifting performance and ability to maintain RPM's under various driving conditions. Put them both on a track with a woops section and several sharp turns and table tops and see if the stock clutching can keep up. We have some crude tracks where I predominantly ride which has a little bit of everything to include high speed flat sections, sandy washouts, hill climbs, woops, banked turns and jumps.....and I can turn 4-6 second faster lap times with my QSC/STM setup than I could with the stock clutches. So I agree, there isn't much of a difference in straight line acceleration but there is a huge difference in overall shifting performance and the ability to keep your RPM's at peak HP.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
again SEAT OF THE PANTS was great, if i didn't have a second machine to compare against i would think they were the best thing since sliced bread!! but in actual performance not that happy with the results for $2000, also i have belt temp gauges in both machines, riding in the same conditions, at the same time, belt temps were identical oem vs STM, i would think if the STM was more efficient it would run less temperature.. ? i was still happy with them even though the performance was not what i was hoping for until the bearing failed on the primary, then noticed the bolt was obviously ready to break when i barely put any pressure on it to remove it and SNAP! also one of the little cam arms (one of the rage 6 arms) was not moving freely like it should... i am in alaska so it is expensive to send these back and not to mention the down time...

i am not trying to bash these clutches, it is possible that i just got the one in a million that did not work, i am just saying that sometimes when something FEELS faster that does not always mean that it is, kinda like loud exhaust on a pick up truck or some exhaust systems for side by sides, you get a lot of noise and it FEELS faster, but it ACTUALLY is not!! i have been lucky to have two of every machine that i have had, so when i change something i can compare apples to apples and KNOW the ACTUAL difference, and YES these clutches are a little quicker in a drag race and the throttle response is noticeably better, but they are NOT as much quicker as they show in their video on their website... also they will admit that they did not run those two machines against each other before they installed the clutches (stock vs stock) to get a true comparison.
Could you share what you were seeing for belt temps. I also have a temp gauge and wanted to see what others where getting. I found with mine it is very dependent on the outside air temperature. When I ride and the outside temp is in the 60's my belt temps rarely break 160' under any conditions. 80 degrees outside I see 170-180 belt temps....90 degrees outside I see 180 to 200 belt temps.....100 degrees outside I see 180 to 210 belt temps.....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the clutches. One comment I would like to make is that if all you are doing is drag racing from a dead stop on flat ground or up a hill, the only benefit you will see from an aftermarket clutch is in the initial (starting) gear ratio which is lower than the OEM clutches due to a smaller one or two way bearing. This is assuming your stock clutches are also tuned correctly. Where you see the biggest improvement over stock will be in the back shifting performance and ability to maintain RPM's under various driving conditions. Put them both on a track with a woops section and several sharp turns and table tops and see if the stock clutching can keep up. We have some crude tracks where I predominantly ride which has a little bit of everything to include high speed flat sections, sandy washouts, hill climbs, woops, banked turns and jumps.....and I can turn 4-6 second faster lap times with my QSC/STM setup than I could with the stock clutches. So I agree, there isn't much of a difference in straight line acceleration but there is a huge difference in overall shifting performance and the ability to keep your RPM's at peak HP.
that is very true, but with the rage 6 and gen 2 secondary the back shifting was actually not very good, if the RPM's were good from a dead stop all the way to 73mph then from a roll out of a corner it would not rev/backshift and the rpms would build, with the setup i had i was not impressed with the back shifting... one of the other clutch guys on here had told me right after i bought them that he had back shifting issues with this setup also being that i just spent $2000 i did not want to believe him, but he was right!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Could you share what you were seeing for belt temps. I also have a temp gauge and wanted to see what others where getting. I found with mine it is very dependent on the outside air temperature. When I ride and the outside temp is in the 60's my belt temps rarely break 160' under any conditions. 80 degrees outside I see 170-180 belt temps....90 degrees outside I see 180 to 200 belt temps.....100 degrees outside I see 180 to 210 belt temps.....
my belt temp depends mostly on speed that i am riding... i can ride hard down the trails 40-65mph and it usually stays around 160* the only time that it gets up in the yellow 180-210 is if i am pushing 70+ mph for very long, any thing over 70mph the clutches are fully shifted out and belt heat builds quick.. i am running a belt blower, without the blower once i got the belt hot or in the yellow it would not hardly cool down... with the blower it still gets hot at 70 mph but as soon as i slow down to 60mph or under it cools right down to 160 or less...

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
that is very true, but with the rage 6 and gen 2 secondary the back shifting was actually not very good, if the RPM's were good from a dead stop all the way to 73mph then from a roll out of a corner it would not rev/backshift and the rpms would build, with the setup i had i was not impressed with the back shifting... one of the other clutch guys on here had told me right after i bought them that he had back shifting issues with this setup also being that i just spent $2000 i did not want to believe him, but he was right!
Well that would make sense as to why you didn't see much improvement over stock then. It sounds like it was performing just like the stock clutches. I haven't heard of anyone reporting this problem with the Rage 3 or the QSC primary. So are you just going to run stock clutches or upgrade to something else? Did STM give you a full refund?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ok, I'm a little freaked out now. This is the 5th one way bearing I have heard of failing. My brand new rage 3s one way bear came apart in less than 3 miles on it. I'm waiting to get the primary back now but what if it's just happens again. I have pics but honestly STM has been so good with this I don't want to put any damaging info or photos out there. When it happened I called them up n they immediately gave my a ups number n said they will have it out the same day it comes in. Has anyone else had there one way bearing seiz or come apart? Is it something in the install? Idk but around the shop it did great than took it out n didn't get 2mile b4 it happened. Like I said though they have been great n really cool, but that doesn't help me if it happens again cause I play in the mud/water Everytime this happens I have to unseal the housing, scrap for a hour then reseal tight when done. I'm just lil worried that's all

1 - 20 of 141 Posts