Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Need some more help. Still trying to get my primary off. I tried the hydro technique with filling the hole with grease and Teflon tape on the threads. We'll after hammering on it for about an hour I ended up breaking my puller and still no progress on getting my primary off. I'm stuck. What do I do?

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
Need some more help. Still trying to get my primary off. I tried the hydro technique with filling the hole with grease and Teflon tape on the threads. We'll after hammering on it for about an hour I ended up breaking my puller and still no progress on getting my primary off. I'm stuck. What do I do?
tilt maverick on passenger side and fill up the bolt hole with water, use generous teflon tape and then rattle on it with a good impact wrench. i have a 3/4" drive electric impact i use when bolts a super stubborn. water and teflon has worked for me multiple times. good luck

·
Registered
230 Posts
Grinder

From ' The Land Down Under ' .

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dude wow this is getting serious,I dont know how far the bolt is or where it broke off I pulled my clutch off with a piece of rod and this bolt,(the clutch might have spun and welded it self to the crank?) id rather u try rod and a bolt but,,I cant remember where the threads start on the clutch but? this pic of the bolt is the same thread as the puller,3/8 pipe thread fits in this decent, find a 3/8 male airchuck put some teflon on it screw it into the clutch snug only,fill the clutch with some lube (PB) and turn the air up let it sit there for awhile,grab a 2x4 and a hammer maybe bang the back bell of the clutch turn the clutch a 1/4 at a time,(edge of bell)we need to get lube between these tappered shalfs...tilt the mav on passenger side 45 deg..get alot of lub in it Font Auto part Automotive engine part Metal

·
Registered
791 Posts
If I were you I would buy a heavy duty puller with a thicker tip. The one for a Ski-Doo TRA clutch will work, I think MR.RPM may have one as well. I would run it snug in and back it out to see how much thread is holding. If you don't have at least a half inch of thread holding I would saw the tip of the puller off accordingly and than re-bevel the tip to a point.

There is a good chance that by running it with a broken bolt the clutch may have spun a bit on the crank and seized on. I would just be patient and continue using the same techniques. If the hydraulic method will not work, Put a bit of lube on the tip, Run it as tight as the impact will take it, hammer the end of the puller, impact some more, hammer some more. Apply some heat if needed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
re read this ....smiz hydraulic method has to be done the proper way ..water or oil has to be right to the top...your threaded bolt has to be long enough to displace the volume of water/oil ,if your puller is broke cut it at bottom of threads.impact bolt in as fast as possible,try filling with oil this time it helps seal the threads

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I used grease and I wrapped the threads of the puller with Teflon tape to get a good seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Using grease is what Matt at STM recommended. If I could get the broken bolt out without taking off the primary i would but I'm sure it's stuck in there now since I've been jamming the puller into it trying to get the primary off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 70 of 70 Posts