Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a full STM setup on my mav. Rage 6 and gen 2. My first setup threw a cam arm and ate itself first ride out. Now I have the replacement parts back and all i can say is I am very disappointed. Not only am I slower on the top end but I have not gained anything anywhere else. I fact my buddies stock mav will beat me half the time. I have talked to STM and all they can tell me is to keep playing with it and it shouldn't be doing what its doing. Anybody out there have some suggestions on where to start or what to do?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I have a full STM setup on my mav. Rage 6 and gen 2. My first setup threw a cam arm and ate itself first ride out. Now I have the replacement parts back and all i can say is I am very disappointed. Not only am I slower on the top end but I have not gained anything anywhere else. I fact my buddies stock mav will beat me half the time. I have talked to STM and all they can tell me is to keep playing with it and it shouldn't be doing what its doing. Anybody out there have some suggestions on where to start or what to do?
Who'd you buy it from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
791 Posts
What springs are you running primary and secondary? What is your weight setup small arms and main arms? What is it doing/not doing?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought it directly from STM. I told Matt excatly what I had and they tuned it for my "setup". Which is stock besides a power commander V and a cat delete. The clutch works just not how I fell it is supposed to. A completely stock Mav shouldn't beat me all the way across the board. I am going down to the shop in a few to pull it off and see what weight config is on it right now. I'm hoping I didnt buy a $2000 paper weight.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
You didn't buy a paper weight. As far as I know they weight all of their clutches exactly the same from the factory 14-2-0 with a gold spring and the secondary's come with a gold spring and a 45* helix.
That setup is waaaaaaaay to heavy and the helix is waaaayyyyy to aggressive for that gold spring. I left the springs alone and changes the weights ( per Adam ) and helix. It's a whole different car now.
I too had the same dealings with STM in the beginning about the "setup" for my car. It's completely erroneous . It gives the end user a false sense of security. We just paid over $2000 for this beautiful piece of aluminum and now it doesn't work. So change the weights and use purple locktite on all the fasteners inside. Change the weights to 7-3-1. 7 being the big

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
7 grams near the pivot point, 3 washers=3 grams in the middle and 1 washer at the end which equals 1 gram

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks mearsman! I will try that and see what i can get! What did you change the Helix to? Also was that on a Rage 3 or 6?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Great explaination Mearsman, Now change your damn profile pic. Lol. We all know you have both.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My best setup so far has been:

Rage 6 Gen 2 Primary: Red Spring, 6 grams at the base of the main arms (three washers each side) Centre and tip of main arms empty, small arms 4 grams on each arm (two washers each side). Engagement RPM is around 1950, back shifting is excellent

Gen 2 Secondary: Lime Green Spring, 50/40 Helix

- I have been trying to avoid using the Tungsten washers where possible as they have been susceptible to flying off, (1) Tungsten weight = 7 grams, (1) Steel Washer weight = 1 Gram

- The lime green secondary spring has a stiffer initial rate than the gold secondary spring and a lighter finish rate. This keeps you in a lower gear ratio at first to make take offs in soft ground (sand) or up hills a bit easier and the lighter finish rate give you more top end, just keep an eye on your belt temp because there could be potential for belt slippage and heat at high loads/speeds for long duration with the lighter finish rate.

- The only thing that my setup is still lacking is good belt grab at lower speeds and less than half throttle. A straight 40 Helix or Straight 45 or even a 35/45 might improve that slightly but the main underlying problem is that the STM super tip cam arms have too flat of a profile to let the weight do the work that is needed in an ATV/UTV application at lower RPM's and speeds, especially in high load situations like loose sand or when running big tires.

The good news is that STM has some new Cam arms in development that are specifically designed for ATV/UTV use, and I am told that they will be released in the next few weeks. If done correctly these new profile arms should make a huge difference on the belt hookup at less than full throttle.

I am currently testing a Second generation Primary from QSC based off of a not yet released primary from Team. I will not say too much about it yet because it is still testing and needing some changes. I will tell you that the Cam Arms are designed in a way that allows the weight to do work down low a LOT better than the current STM arms, and the difference between the two primaries in low speed drivability without belt slippage is NIGHT AND DAY. It is like driving a whole new machine and is a complete pleasure to drive compared to my best setup on the Rage 6.

I feel that the redesigned, soon to be released, cam arms for the STM Rage Primary should make a big difference on the because the profiles they are using now were not originally designed for ATV/UTV use in mind and that is the biggest problem right now.

·
Registered
791 Posts
They are brittle, they break apart easy. Also the screw that holds them on is arguably undersized to hold seven grams in place. Rumour is that the new Cam arms will also use different weights to eliminate that problem. I would not say it was a very common problem but it has happened.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you did your 7-3-1 weight change on the big arms did you add/remove any weight on the small arms?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts