Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed stm rage 3 along with STM secondary clutch on my 2014 maverick max. Just pulled everything apart to adjust weights a little as well as add a shim to secondary. When I removed my secondary, I noticed the backside had come into contact with one of the bolts holding the inner clutch shroud in place.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Under full shift out on secondary, inner sheave made contact with the bolt protruding through the cover with the nut on the end. I am not sure if other mavericks covers have same bolt layout but if so, grind the bolt shorter before installing STM secondary to eliminate this issue.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
WOW, that's good info. I guess it's not something you could hear...right?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks for the good word! definitely something to go investigate….

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Well I'll be….mine is the same way but no signs of rubbing on mine……

IMG_0357.jpg

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'll be….mine is the same way but no signs of rubbing on mine……

View attachment 4498
I think the qsc/STM combo sets out a little further than the STM/STM combo from what I have been reading. So far, any issues I have ran into with install on my 2014 and brought to STM's attention, they have responded with no one else with 2014 are mentioning any issues.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
my order sheet does say long post on it so you may be right...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mine had same thing and its a late '13 model. It did same thing to my secondary. Told Kris about it and he said he talked to several others and it was the first he heard of it. My apologies for not posting earlier on it. I just assumed that was my crappy luck and they just screwed mine up at factory and installed one bolt wrong. I got a grinder and ground it down some so it wouldn't make contact again. This is a pic of with the factory secondary on it.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
So it sounds like it is only an issue if you are running an STM primary because it requires you use the shorter post on the secondary due to the alignment.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thats good news

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I guess a full proof way to confirm would be to put the belt removal tool on and open the sheaves all the way and then sping the secondary. You will know right away if it is going to hit the bolt or not.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's starting to look like the late 2013's and 2014's are using a longer stud for that location. I'm gonna send this to STM. This is the second I've seen.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ok, I'll have to keep an eye in my bolt, grinding it down does the trick?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
It's starting to look like the late 2013's and 2014's are using a longer stud for that location. I'm gonna send this to STM. This is the second I've seen.
For the record mine is a 2013 with an April build date.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Not a new issue- Commanders had a similar issue. My STM set up came off a Commander that had the stud back out and cause damage to the secondary. So on the Mav I ground the stud flush AND put locktite on it.
Good news is you can replace just that part, or take a die grinder and cafefully radius the damaged area to take the sharp edges off.

·
Registered
711 Posts
this is not really a new surfacing problem. every can-am since 2006 has had bolts with 1 stud and nut just like that. i have seen the STMs get scarred up from that stud like that for years. its just a somewhat un-seen thing. raraly do people take their secondary off and inspect it very closely they install it, ride it, and dont check it. but the stud scarring the back of the secondary has been happening for quite some time.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
this is not really a new surfacing problem. every can-am since 2006 has had bolts with 1 stud and nut just like that. i have seen the STMs get scarred up from that stud like that for years. its just a somewhat un-seen thing. raraly do people take their secondary off and inspect it very closely they install it, ride it, and dont check it. but the stud scarring the back of the secondary has been happening for quite some time.

Can you confirm if this only affects the STM secondary's with the short post?

·
Registered
711 Posts
yep. you see it with the full STM only with the short post running a wider belt. the new maverick belts, the old dayco belts ect. the wider belts runs higher in the primary, and therefore pushes lower in the secondary which drives the secondary clutch further apart allowing the inner movable sheave to contact the stud behind the secondary. if you are running one of the older BRP belts that are 32.6mm wide you wont have a problem, but the new maverick belt, the older dayco belts, and highlifter belts are 33mm wide. these wider belts ride a little higher in the primary, and lower in the secondary, driving the clutches further apart. the lower the belt rides in the secondary, the further apart the secondary spreads open.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey guys my Gen2 secondary has also contacted the stud, I sanded down the stud and hope it clears now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts