Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I have to fine tune my clutch.
My setup is the STM Rage3 and the STM Gen2.
Motor is stock, tires are stock. Elevation 6000 feet.

My shift out right now is at 7400-7500, engagement at around 2500.
I'd like to get my shift out to 7800-7900 and the engagement lowered to about 1800-2000.

What weights would you add and in which location?

Thanks a bunch folks.

Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'm not an expert on the clutch so I would recommend you to PM Kris from cold blooded performance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Desertdog,

I did PM Kris yesterday, no response yet.....well, it's been weekend, so hopefully he will get back to me tomorrow.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Best bet with Kris is text him or email but he answers texting much easier.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you don't mind let us know what he said, just in case someone is curious with same question sometimes.

Thanks man, good luck with the tuning.
Nathan

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't mind let us know what he said, just in case someone is curious with same question sometimes.

Thanks man, good luck with the tuning.
Nathan
Well, here is where I started.
The clutch came with following configuration.
Spring in primary is yellow or gold
Spring in secondary is pink.
tungsten and 4 washers on the heel.
4 washers in the center
2 washers at the tip

Shift out was at around 7300 roughly.

I took the 4 washers off from the heel and added 2 washers to the tip.

Therefore, new configuration is as follows.
Tungsten at the heel
4 washers at the center
4 washers at the tip.

Shift out now is at around 7400 Rpms....
I had bad over rev during take off and the tires were spinning like crazy so I guess my last run was not really representative.

Kris suggested to take the tungsten off the heel and leave the rest as is.

I will do that but before I pull the tungsten I will do some more runs tomorrow to have an accurate reading.

I had the same issue with my Outty, I had cams, bored TB, full dual system, Tune monster with all ad dons on the bike and I could not get the freaking Rpms up to where I needed it. I had the QSC primary on the Outty.....is it me??? :)

One last thing, I ride at 6000 feet elevation.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks man, good info. I've got the rage 3 and gen 2 primary as well. Mine came quite a bit different than yours, I guess because of elevation. I'm at maybe 2-300 ft mine came with gold on both primary and secondary with 2 tungsten on heel and that was it. It would shift out like yours around 7450-7500 then when it'd get up to top speed around 75-76 it'd start to over rev 8000-8050. Kris had me take one tungsten off heal and add 4 washers then add one washer to toe. Now mine shifts out right at 775-7800 and stays there all the way to top speed.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Nathan

Reactions: al8apex

·
Registered
424 Posts
Best thing to do is get feedback from a slow roll (5-7 mph) in 4wd and nail it from there. You'll minimize any wheel spin and have a better response. Spinning = over rev, due to lack of traction/load.

We'll get it hammered down.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks man, good info. I've got the rage 3 and gen 2 primary as well. Mine came quite a bit different than yours, I guess because of elevation. I'm at maybe 2-300 ft mine came with gold on both primary and secondary with 2 tungsten on heel and that was it. It would shift out like yours around 7450-7500 then when it'd get up to top speed around 75-76 it'd start to over rev 8000-8050. Kris had me take one tungsten off heal and add 4 washers then add one washer to toe. Now mine shifts out right at 775-7800 and stays there all the way to top speed.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Nathan
Thanks Nathan,

Seems like your clutch is spot-on.... Good job dialing it in.
Maybe I'll get there as well :)

It would be nice to hear what others running at my elevation.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Best thing to do is get feedback from a slow roll (5-7 mph) in 4wd and nail it from there. You'll minimize any wheel spin and have a better response. Spinning = over rev, due to lack of traction/load.

We'll get it hammered down.
Thanks for staying with me today to walk me thru the changes.
I just came back in adjusting my front wheels 1/8inch toe in, it was a bit unstable at higher speed, they have been slightly toed out...it's all good now for some more tuning.

I probably pull the covers again this weekend to change the weights as you suggested.
I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again

Alex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts