Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..... I have the Brand New Full STM Setup..and brand new OEM Belt installed...

I have a question about the STM Engine braking system...
It does have the one way bering in the primary clutch..
On my new STM setup it's more like the Polaris engine brake, you want to slow down but you can't because you have to
keep in the fuel in order to use the engine brake...
If you ignore the engine braking system in the new STM and just use the brakes it winds up the secondary & the belt slips in the primary & starts to burn...

With the OEM stock primary as soon as you let off the accelerator you start to stop..
Which is what I HAVE to have in the steep tight trails in WV...

What are we seeing out there ???

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hate to tell you but a Airdam, QSC, or stock primary(unless STM offers a primary with a oneway bearing) and the stock secondary is the only thing that's going to get you what your after, if anyone tells you different especially with the STM as the secondary they don't have the steep hills or remember how the stock setup functions. If you can live with the braking down to the point the primary releases the STM secondary will work but if you want something that will brake all the way until you stop or start braking as soon as you release the brakes on a hill without touching the gas your going to have to stick with the stock secondary and a primary with a oneway bearing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Oops missed that you have a oneway on your primary clutch does your secondary have a ebs notch? If not maybe try talking talking to QSC about there custom helix for the gen2, or a regular ebs helix from stm if you have a gen1 and see if you can live with that if not I guess the stock secondary is your only route so you're probably gonna have to get a different primary due to the offset not working with the stock secondary.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what an EBS notch is...
I know it has about 6-small teeth/notches to fall into in order to lock into the tranny input shaft..

Mine is brand new i just got it on Friday... It should be a gen-2... Right ???

·
Registered
545 Posts
Engine brake notch is built into the helix (on the secondary).

If yours does not have this helix, it can easily be added.
We have a Rage6/Gen1, and it engine brakes down to about 5mph before the primary releases into free wheeling. Just a tap of the throttle re-engages the primary. I ride all kinds of terrain (dunes, woods, rocks, trails) and have had no issues. As for burning a belt due to free wheeling, never heard that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup.... Mine looks like that... Any way to get a rage 3 to do that???

·
Registered
964 Posts
The difference is the secondary. The STM secondary will not brake like the factory bottom line. The factory secondary has a back shift angle on the helix that will slow down dramatically. The STM will just lock into that cutout and that is it. I have a QSC and STM secondary and it doesn't engine brake as good as stock but it is pretty good as long as you touch the gas to get the secondary the actually get into the EBS grove. Mine will go down some steep stuff here in UT at 3mph. I two foot drive it if needed and have gotten used to it now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
What bout the power increase on a rage 3 with STM secondary is it good

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Power Rocks !!! It's waaaay radical !!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
That's what I have been told a couple times
Did you put it in yourself?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I did.... The Engine brake is like the polaris.... Only draw-back..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Piece of cake...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts