Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas got a couple questions for yall. Will a oem primary puller work on a STM primary? If not what puller should I use. Also seen a few threads were "megadiesel" I think, made his own. How well do these work at removing factory primary.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes it will work just fine. Use the grease trick I told you about and it will pop right off.

Matt

·
Registered
228 Posts
grease trick works great

·
Registered
227 Posts
care to share your grease trick?? I will be doing mine soon..
thanks

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
just pack the hole with grease and coat the clutch puller threads with grease and it acts like a hydraulic system and aids in getting the clutch off of the crankshaft.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is another one, do you have to lap the new primary on the shaft or could you install it to torque specs crank it let it run for a minute or two in the garage then pull it back off and re install. I just worry about not getting all the lapping compound off. Thought I was either told I could do it this way or read on a thread someone did it this way.

Again fellas thanks so much for your help,

Nathan

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've used lapping compound before. I don't see where it would hurt. But like you said make sure you clean it all off really well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would use the lapping compound as recommended. Just use a clean rag to wipe the compound off, or use a good shot of brake cleaner on the crank afterwards. Properly torqued, the clutch won't turn (slip) on the crank anyway.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would use the lapping compound as recommended. Just use a clean rag to wipe the compound off, or use a good shot of brake cleaner on the crank afterwards. Properly torqued, the clutch won't turn (slip) on the crank anyway.
How would you clean out the inside of the primary, just pull a clean rag thru it or spray a little brake cleaner thru the hole then wipe it out. That was my main worry, getting the lapping compound out of the inside of the primary.

Thanks proptwister and everyone else for your help, hopeing that puller is here by Thursday :)

Nathan

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I just made a thread about the primary puller we make here, a real heavy duty unit. Works with the stock, or STM.

When I install a clutch, I always lap it it, then be sure & remove all the compound. I use lacquer thinner, wash the crank off with a clean, dry rag, then clean the inside of the primary with a liberal amount of lacquer thinner, then wipe dry. Do it as many times as necessary to get all the componud out.

When installing the primary, I always torque the bolt, then make a short run, come back & torque it again, it will go down some, then do it again. Keep doing it, until it stays torqued, then you're good. I've put 400 crankshaft horsepower thru the crank taper, with no slippage, with this system of installing.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Fill the hole full of water and put plumbers tape on the threads works every time and no mess to clean up
Kind of hard to get water to stay in there unless you have a way to get the UTV tilted to one side…..this is why i suggested grease. If you can get it on it's size then hydraulic fluid or brake fluid works better than water since it doesn't compress like water…..

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just made a thread about the primary puller we make here, a real heavy duty unit. Works with the stock, or STM.

When I install a clutch, I always lap it it, then be sure & remove all the compound. I use lacquer thinner, wash the crank off with a clean, dry rag, then clean the inside of the primary with a liberal amount of lacquer thinner, then wipe dry. Do it as many times as necessary to get all the componud out.

When installing the primary, I always torque the bolt, then make a short run, come back & torque it again, it will go down some, then do it again. Keep doing it, until it stays torqued, then you're good. I've put 400 crankshaft horsepower thru the crank taper, with no slippage, with this system of installing.

Thanks man, that was really good info.

I appreciate it guys,
Nathan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts