Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an fyi....Below is a new stm primary bolt vs. old one. The old one is the tapered one. Broke the old one last weekend at the dunes. Looks like there was a change at some point.

20131219_184256.jpg

·
Registered
791 Posts
What did yours do when it broke? I was at full throttle about 60 mph and the machine just shuddered and kept going. I stopped and opened the clutch cover and everything appeared fine. I tried to remove the primary bolt and that is when it completely broke with about 20 ft-lbs of force on the wrench.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't have many hours on mine maybe 9 should I contact them to send me a new one. Looks like yours got extremely hot, there's no blueing on mine at all like yours has.

·
Registered
272 Posts
See it now, I'm on my phone little bitty screen. After I zoomed in I could see the weld, wonder why they sent them out with the bolt turned down in the first place. I thought that was weird when I installed mine.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the primary in 2011 and that's the original bolt. The commander has 2400miles on the clutch, so could be a case of some metal fatigue also.

I was climbing up Oldsmobile at the dunes and it sounded like the belt broke. Instantly no power. When I took the cover off the primary was just peacefully removed from the crankshaft. I got lucky and was able to use the broken bolt to remove the threads that were left in the crank.

The reason for the blue was we had it welded as a plan "B" on getting back to camp....Does seem like they changed the bolt for a reason.....Bought an extra just in case.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
The top bolt looks like the same bolt I got from AIRDAM when I 1st purchase my Mav. Is the new bolt a grade 12.9 bolt?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I broke mine at the Powerline Park GNCC race and then figured it was broken a week later. I'm not sure how long it was broken for though... I had a hell of a time getting the primary off of the crank and then had an even harder time getting the broken bolt out of the crank!! I had another machined bolt for the Ironman GNCC race and have since ordered a new bolt from STM. I hope I never have to revisit this problem again!!! EVER!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I broke mine at the Powerline Park GNCC race and then figured it was broken a week later. I'm not sure how long it was broken for though... I had a hell of a time getting the primary off of the crank and then had an even harder time getting the broken bolt out of the crank!! I had another machined bolt for the Ironman GNCC race and have since ordered a new bolt from STM. I hope I never have to revisit this problem again!!! EVER!
Been there done that....sux big time.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Don't understand why STM would go to the trouble and expense of tapering the bolt down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts