Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
instructions require the use of laping compound on the crank shaft to seat the primary, rotate 25 times, clean, and reinstall. Is this really necessary? what about install, drive, and re torque?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought the valve lapping compound at O'Reily auto parts. It came with two tubes, one was fine and the other course. Kris at Coldblooded said to just mix them in equal parts, smear a bunch on the end of the crank shaft and gently push in on the clutch hub in a clock wise direction about 25 times. You can really feel it smooth out as you are turning it. Be sure to clean both the crank shaft and clutch hub with brake cleaner very well. It de-burs each mating surface for a tighter tolerance. Blue Lock tight the bolt end, torque to specs then wait over-night and your good to go. I also maked the bolt head to clutch body with white paint to see if it has moved the next time I disassemble.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I used the compound just to be on the safe side ,,mine is holding strong

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I've had my clutch(s) on and off about a gazillion times without lapping them, but it sure couldn't hurt. Just remember one thing...NO RED LOCTITE. lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my only concern with compound is if you put it on the crank and then slide you primary on, it may be possible for some of that compound to get pushed into the crank shaft seal. if its does get to the seal, might start causing it to leak?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Does the QSC need to have this lapping done also? What happens if you don't do this?

·
Registered
228 Posts
its in the instructions for a reason,,

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Does the QSC need to have this lapping done also? What happens if you don't do this?
I never did it, but like I said ^^^, mating the surfaces surley couldn't hurt. I would think the less chance of the primary slipping on the crank?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
THE QSC instructions do not call for it…..as long as it was clean, you will have no issues...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts