Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i know everyone swears by stm clutch i understand it may be better for some . The question i have is for people who run wide open desert and dunes is it really worth the money . I have a buddy who has a epi clutch kit in his and he runs pretty close with guys that have full stm clutch kits. So for the price point difference is it really worth the stm clutch kit . I dont do any wheeling or mudding or rock crawlin where i put tons of stress on the clutch and belt. Let me know peoples thoughts on this. Hopefull there are others here that have epi sand dune kit installed that have also ran up against the stm guys. Thanks

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I was told the vegas to reno race winner had a stock primary and sec with just diff spring changes on his maverick i think is all hype unless you have alot more hp then stock

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I was told the vegas to reno race winner had a stock primary and sec with just diff spring changes on his maverick i think is all hype unless you have alot more hp then stock
I can tell you without a doubt all of the aftermarket primaries will pull out of the hole a lot harder and faster than a stock clutch for the simple fact that they have a smaller one way bearing allowing the belt to sit lower in the clutch. It equates to taking off in a lower gear….as far as top end, I have no doubt hat a properly setup stock primary/secondary will be able to shift out fully and hit the same top speed as an equally sized aftermarket clutch. So if you aren't subjecting your clutches to a lot of conditions requiring constant back shifting, I think the stock clutches could hold their own……so based on the course conditions, I would agree, you might not see much of an advantage with aftermarket clutches...

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Pull harder out of the hole? i have seen a stock maverick roast the tires on concrete so you would think on dirt any more would be a waste lol and the draw back of rzr type of engine breaking with the aftermarket clutchs but gain better backshifting I guess if your a hardcore woods racer and never use engine breaking

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Pull harder out of the hole? i have seen a stock maverick roast the tires on concrete so you would think on dirt any more would be a waste lol and the draw back of rzr type of engine breaking with the aftermarket clutchs but gain better backshifting I guess if your a hardcore woods racer and never use engine breaking
Thats why you have 4X4 :smile: Don't get me wrong, I love my QSC/STM and ain't looking back. I just think the majority of people would be happy with a properly tuned stock setup. Not everybody races or drives it to it's limits…..

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Also hitting the rpm that its supposed to and not fall off. My stock clutches would pull 7450 when I would pin it, then go to around 7500 then drop right off to 7150 then have to climb up from there and only hitting 7600 or less. At them rpms I was never in the power and my buddies is the same way

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Also hitting the rpm that its supposed to and not fall off. My stock clutches would pull 7450 when I would pin it, then go to around 7500 then drop right off to 7150 then have to climb up from there and only hitting 7600 or less. At them rpms I was never in the power and my buddies is the same way
Mine was close but not quite as bad as yours….you don't know what your missing until you you get aftermarket clutches.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
you are gonna love them….

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot to everyone with there help on this. I think im gonna get the epi dune set up spring and weight set up and see if i like them . I feel i wont notice a lot different then the stm for my riding style..

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
you going with stm.... or just clutch springs and weights???
Full STM, I have the dalton clutch kit in mine now wich will be like the EPI kit your talking about. Your still gonna have the clunk when u take off and your still gonna have that weird fluttery noise your stock clutches make when slowing down or riding slow. The stock clutches make so many crazy weird noises, plus all the other crap to worry about on top of that.

The thing that really sucks is that you may buy the EPI kit and like it for a bit or you may hate it and then end up buying new clutches then your in it an extra 300 hundred for buying both.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah thats true. As long as i can make it hot till tax season. lol i dont do any whelling so i might like it cause we run a lot of open desert or river bottoms . i havent heard my stock clutch do anything thats cause im prob always wide open lol

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
yeah thats true. As long as i can make it hot till tax season. lol i dont do any whelling so i might like it cause we run a lot of open desert or river bottoms . i havent heard my stock clutch do anything thats cause im prob always wide open lol
You'll hear your clutch even when your coming to a stop, they'll fluttery sounding..all my canams did this and I'm on my 6th since o7 and they all have bin 800cc and up

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just hope i can make it 6 months then i wont feel bad about the 300 dollar loss haha

·
Registered
527 Posts
Are most of you doing STM primary and secondary? or just primary? What are the benefits of doing both?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are most of you doing STM primary and secondary? or just primary? What are the benefits of doing both?
i have heard of people doing just the primary as well. Im not sure the bennefit of one vs both. I have heard of few people doing the spring kit on stock clutch and love it as well. I think it all depends on your riding style and what type of riding you do ....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Some ppl were just getting the primary to eliminate the chance of the bolt snapping and granadeing the primary. But most buy both to gain the benefit of the roller secondary and the pure performance that comes with both working in conjunction with each other..

Also a lot of ppl think of it as cheap insurance from being stranded out somewhere with exploded clutches!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
^X2, yep.
Canamxteam posted earlier that the stock clutch could roast the tires on a concrete take off.. Of course it will, IF you put enough air pressure in the tires. But when your off road most people run a little lower air pressure so they can increase traction. When you increase traction, it put more stress on the clutch and as everyone knows the stock CA clutch is made to slip. So no matter which way a person chooses to go, with a kit or a new clutch it's still way better than stock.

Reactions: kroth1984

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Why do we have no one from the forum take their aftermarket clutch setup and race a stock one a few times and film it. The only one we have is on STM's page...well in all honesty they have a vested interest in making sure that their clutch smokes stock. Like out of the hole, top speed, rolling race...etc. Someone out there up to the task?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts