Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
as you can see in the video the primary is not letting off the belt right away...anyone know WTF could be the issue....

heres a up close pic of the primary...It looks like it scored from the heat or something!!! also whats the trick for getting this dam thing off???

clutch.jpg

·
Registered
424 Posts
Check the bearing to make sure/see if it rolls both ways (or one way) depending on which bearing you went with. Looks like it could be seized up.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Watched the video. The moveable sheave is getting stock on the one way bearing. You'll need to get in touch with whoever you purchased it from or could contact STM direct.

·
Registered
424 Posts
And to remove the STM primary just pull the primary bolt and use the same puller you used to remove your stock primary to remove the STM

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And to remove the STM primary just pull the primary bolt and use the same puller you used to remove your stock primary to remove the STM
thanks for the reply!!!
tried that..the stock one came right off but this ones a pain in the ass!!!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
thanks for the reply!!!
tried that..the stock one came right off but this ones a pain in the ass!!!
yup some are super tight or stuck on , mr rpm sells a stronger bolt to pull the clutches if u bend the tip on your puller

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup some are super tight or stuck on , mr rpm sells a stronger bolt to pull the clutches if u bend the tip on your puller
bent two pullers already!!! WTF!!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there any other way to get this dam thing off?? taking it apart or something!!!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
heat will help

I would buy the stronger puller

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
no prob

not sure where a good spot is to heat it up - just was thinking heat sometimes frees things up lol

ask mr rpm he will give u the low down on getting that baby off

·
Registered
228 Posts
my clutch did this,my bearing was stuck,i sent it back to stm and they fixed it and sent it back with updated parts,i had to pay the shipping

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
To pull it try to water method. I believe there's some videos on YouTube explain it. I think you just put some Teflon on tape on the threads on the polar, Jack the driver side up a couple of feet off the ground so it's leaning, pour water in there, and then hit it with a puller. You act like a hydraulic polar that way

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you're doing the grease or water method be sure and put as much as possible in there. And put Teflon tape on the puller, it'll help hold the pressure. With the the hydraulics of the fluid will push it off.

Quick question. When you installed the clutches did you lap them per the instruction manual?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Don't know if this would work or not but I always took a rubber mallet and hit it at top, then sides, and bottom rotating back and forth then tighten a bit more then tap it with mallet and repeat. Always worked getting mine off. Had the exact same thing happen to mine when it had the one way sent it to Matt at STM and told him I wanted a two way installed now all is well.

Nathan

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you're doing the grease or water method be sure and put as much as possible in there. And put Teflon tape on the puller, it'll help hold the pressure. With the the hydraulics of the fluid will push it off.

Quick question. When you installed the clutches did you lap them per the instruction manual?
yes..used the valve lapping compound!!! I have about 300 or so miles on the clutch...it happened when I was skirting around this mud hole then slid in so I mashed the gas pedal to get out and after that it was acting weird!!
do you think i could still use those pullers I bent??? or should I just wait for the new one???

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have yet to see instructions for an STM clutch. Where can they be found? thanks

I tighten my puller as tight as my cordless 1/2" drive impact will take it then I let the end of the puller have it with a 1 lb hammer a few times than burp it with the impact a bit more and hammer a bit more repeating this sometimes several times until it pops off. Works every time for me. Protect the face of your STM primary with something when you are doing this, it will scratch and dent very easily.

If you are using the Hydraulic method I don't think a bent puller will matter as long as the threads are still 100%

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
If you are doing the water or oil trick cut the bent tip off and do the hydraulic trick . Remember the Teflon tape , it will work , be carful with heat as you can wreck the bushing on the movable sheave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 21 Posts