Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any guys on the west coast know whats better. Softer or stiffer secondary spring? currently running stock tires.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Are you running stock clutches?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would like to know what are the advantage and disadvantage of running a stiffer or softer secondary spring?
Sorry if I hi jack your thread, Henry....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to know what are the advantage and disadvantage of running a stiffer or softer secondary spring?
Sorry if I hi jack your thread, Henry....
Hey man its cool id like to know the same thats why im askin

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nobody knows???

·
Registered
255 Posts
Alright, Heres my knowledge on centrifical style clutching and the secondary spring. The spring (and helix angle) control shift of the machine. The steeper the angle of the helix the shorter the gearing and vice versa if it's a flatter angle... The spring controls shift rate. The stiffer the spring the higher the RPM and slower shift. the softer the spring means the clutch can shift faster... Depending on load you want the clutch to shit faster or slower. Sand is very HP robbing surface as it has a ton of drag.. I would have to say a stiffer spring would allow you to keep the RPM's up and the shift rate where you want it.

Now that ive said all that... I have no idea what clutch setup you are running, what kind of terrain etc.. Nor do I know what differant combinations are available.

There are a ton of different combinations that affect different things with these clutches. Know what you're dealing with and what you want before making changes.

Thats all ive got for now. Im new to the Maverick but could tell you what to run in A Polaris RZR.. LOL

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks bigtruck......that make sense.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The best thing to do is talk to the guys at STM. They'll lead you in the right direction & get you what you need.
This is the best way to go... I alway's get a baseline setup from the manufacturer.. This does not mean that it will be the best setup, but it's a GREAT starting point to go off of. You can alway's tweek things to your liking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts