Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a car type stereo in the dash of their Mav. yet?

Curious if anyone makes an adaptor plate? Or what did you do?

Thanks.

·
Banned
546 Posts
Has anyone installed a car type stereo in the dash of their Mav. yet?

Curious if anyone makes an adaptor plate? Or what did you do?

Thanks.

thought about it but I never use radio.. just install an amp and use Aux to rca cable to amp

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I am just starting to scope one out. I will probably get one with bluetooth, found some on amazon for about $100. Gonna get an amp & 4 spkrs. Has anyone seen pods for the rear without spkrs? Found fronts but not rears, I have a roof would like to mount them up in the corners possibly. I haven't used the radio much on my Rzr, but I think bluetooth would be nice. Does anyone know of an amp that has Bluetooth built in? Trying to keep the cost down as much as possible, but still get a quality system.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you're wanting a AM/FM radio clarion makes a unit that will do AM/FM Ipod/USB. It's a marine grade black box unit called the CMS1..

It doesn't have built in bluetooth but those adapters can be had for about $57. They have a set of male jacks on them that can plug into your amplifier, or an rca aux input. Just throw power and ground to them, pair it up and control song selection and volume from your bluetooth enabled device.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Wetsounds WS-420 Bluetooth system blows everything else away and it's only $75. Clarion is junk for the money.

·
Registered
46 Posts
OP asked for a head unit. If hes considering he mounting an actual car stereo in the dash the clarion unit would look cleaner and be much easier to install.

If he just goes amp + bluetooth or amp + 3.5mm jack he will come out cheaper and probably more power as well.

As far as bluetooth options go the wetsounds unit is concerned I'd have to agree it looks great for the price.

·
Registered
223 Posts
OP asked for a head unit. If hes considering he mounting an actual car stereo in the dash the clarion unit would look cleaner and be much easier to install.

If he just goes amp + bluetooth or amp + 3.5mm jack he will come out cheaper and probably more power as well.

As far as bluetooth options go the wetsounds unit is concerned I'd have to agree it looks great for the price.
Yes he did, but many people don't realize they don't need a "head unit" or a "tuner". They are a complete waste of space unless you like listening to commercials. Head units and tuners are quickly becoming a thing of the past for powersports and boating applications and I'd hate to see a fellow enthusiast waste their money. Your "head unit" is really your phone or other media player.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The Wetsounds WS-420 Bluetooth system blows everything else away and it's only $75. Clarion is junk for the money.
Hold on now, the WS-420 and Bluetooth are 2 totally separate pieces. The WS-420 is the EQ/Preamp that retails for $300. The Bluetooth is $75, but is ONLY an input to an amp or preamp.

I clarified that price above. And the Clarion CMS1 is not all that great. You still need a Clarion specific ipod cable, so straight out of the box, you've got a radio. Install isn't that easy either. I did this one for a customer 3 years ago. Had to cut the hell out of the bezel, jam it in, and pray it stayed. It's been perfect, but for the money there's better options out there. Don't forget that not only do you have to mount the controller, but there's a pretty big base unit that still needs to be mounted.

Yes he did, but many people don't realize they don't need a "head unit" or a "tuner". They are a complete waste of space unless you like listening to commercials. Head units and tuners are quickly becoming a thing of the past for powersports and boating applications and I'd hate to see a fellow enthusiast waste their money. Your "head unit" is really your phone or other media player.
I completely agree on the radio part. On most of my installs I use a WS-420, BT input, then the Hydro-Tech amps from Wet Sounds. With the WS-420, you've got 2 inputs, so you can use the Bluetooth for one, then an aux port for the second one. A switch on the pre-amp lets you toggle between the 2, so you're not limited to 1 device with Bluetooth.

I have done head units and wired remotes in the past in these rigs. I've tucked a Clarion M309 or 502 in the glovebox, with a wired display remote on the dash bezel. The Clarion MW1 fits perfect into the LTD dash bezel without any cutting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am currently working on putting a full size head unit in the upper pocket of the center dash. I will take some modification in building out the pocket by about 1". There is a part of the frame that is in the way. Time to get out the fiberglass again. It was just a PITA to use an Ipod while driving. Will post picture when complete. stereo.jpg

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am currently working on putting a full size head unit in the upper pocket of the center dash. I will take some modification in building out the pocket by about 1". There is a part of the frame that is in the way. Time to get out the fiberglass again. I was just a PITA to use an Ipod while driving. Will post picture when complete. View attachment 4904
Where did you get your pods??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Those are a custom build. I did make molds for them when i built them. I can get you a set if interested.

·
Registered
403 Posts
All of them are hard to get used to. I know the guys at Wet Sounds and they delayed putting this piece out for a long time, to make sure it was flawless. I've installed several for other people and all of them have been extremely pleased. Clarion's Bluetooth interface that was discontinued last year was a piece of crap, and priced north of $200! This piece is $75.

·
Registered
141 Posts
All of them are hard to get used to. I know the guys at Wet Sounds and they delayed putting this piece out for a long time, to make sure it was flawless. I've installed several for other people and all of them have been extremely pleased. Clarion's Bluetooth interface that was discontinued last year was a piece of crap, and priced north of $200! This piece is $75.
I just don't like how hard it is to turn the vol up without skipping to the next track. And the distance was not good either. Would cut out with my phone in my pocket and walking to the back to pee.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts