Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine flies his own plane and has some great headsets, great sound. I'm using RR and their Alpha Bass headset, far from even just adequate. Is my problem the headset, anyone ever tried a good aviation headset? Or is it more than that?
At speed, cruising at 50 and above, it's mostly just noise I hear.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Friend of mine flies his own plane and has some great headsets, great sound. I'm using RR and their Alpha Bass headset, far from even just adequate. Is my problem the headset, anyone ever tried a good aviation headset? Or is it more than that?
At speed, cruising at 50 and above, it's mostly just noise I hear.
Thanks.
Try the Trax system from PCI, it sounds great, even at speed. Stereo.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The issue with aviation headsets is impedance and matching with commercial (non-aviation) intercoms and radios. I used a portable aviation intercom for a while and had to make custom cabling to get everything to work properly. The headsets were comfortable and sounded great but ultimately I went commercial and found a lightweight headset with earbuds from RR that just worked better with easily available cabling. The headset I use now is a cheap version of Clarity Aloft if you were interested in going that route. It weighs nothing and at least the earbuds provide the noise attenuation needed to hear music and radio communications.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue with aviation headsets is impedance and matching with commercial (non-aviation) intercoms and radios. I used a portable aviation intercom for a while and had to make custom cabling to get everything to work properly. The headsets were comfortable and sounded great but ultimately I went commercial and found a lightweight headset with earbuds from RR that just worked better with easily available cabling. The headset I use now is a cheap version of Clarity Aloft if you were interested in going that route. It weighs nothing and at least the earbuds provide the noise attenuation needed to hear music and radio communications.
Thanks for the input. I was hoping there was a simple fix. I bought the RR Alpha Bass, and it's poor with the music at any significant speed with wind noise etc.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
There is an alternative. If music is your priority and having the frequency response to actually enjoy the music, then ear transducers (not speakers) is what you’re after. Think of it as a thrash metal band on stage performing. They provide hearing protection as well as the response to give as good as it can be. It usually requires you to go to an audiologist to have earmolds made. The process is painless and quick. The electronics are put into those earmolds and can be terminated with whatever type of plug you need. So, how will all this work you ask? Let’s say you wear a helmet. You put these earbuds in before you put your helmet on and connect it to a stereo connector wired to your intercom or Bluetooth module. If you wear a headset (and they are all different), it will require a jack so when you put in the earbuds under the headset earcups, you would plug them into that jack. Then the headset plugs into the intercom, etc. Here’s the tricky part, you will have to modify the headset with the jack to make it work. I can probably help with that if you are specific with what type headset you use now. The only way to get the quality of sound you seek is have something in your ear that provides the noise attenuation and has the frequency response designed for music. That means a transducer, not just a simple speaker. Musicians call them monitors I think but some simple online research will help or most audiologists can point you in the right direction. It’s not cheap but a good set of custom transducers will be comfortable enough to wear all day and last for many years. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I was hoping there was a simple fix. I bought the RR Alpha Bass, and it's poor with the music at any significant speed with wind noise etc.
There is an alternative. If music is your priority and having the frequency response to actually enjoy the music, then ear transducers (not speakers) is what you’re after. Think of it as a thrash metal band on stage performing. They provide hearing protection as well as the response to give as good as it can be. It usually requires you to go to an audiologist to have earmolds made. The process is painless and quick. The electronics are put into those earmolds and can be terminated with whatever type of plug you need. So, how will all this work you ask? Let’s say you wear a helmet. You put these earbuds in before you put your helmet on and connect it to a stereo connector wired to your intercom or Bluetooth module. If you wear a headset (and they are all different), it will require a jack so when you put in the earbuds under the headset earcups, you would plug them into that jack. Then the headset plugs into the intercom, etc. Here’s the tricky part, you will have to modify the headset with the jack to make it work. I can probably help with that if you are specific with what type headset you use now. The only way to get the quality of sound you seek is have something in your ear that provides the noise attenuation and has the frequency response designed for music. That means a transducer, not just a simple speaker. Musicians call them monitors I think but some simple online research will help or most audiologists can point you in the right direction. It’s not cheap but a good set of custom transducers will be comfortable enough to wear all day and last for many years. Hope this helps.
I appreciate the response, and I've got a guy working on this after I read him your post. I'm not audio sophisticated, but I do like good sound. If I get somewhere with this I'll repost it here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts