Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
546 Posts
Center with tie rods don't adjust sterling center line with the wheel. which way are you off?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
base model u need a puller

XRS model u just remove the 6 bolts to remove steering wheel

but

like mentioned align by tie rods or the steering shaft ,

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,when I let go of the steering wheel it pulls some to the right.So to adjust the steering wheel to center you turn the rods up by the rubber boots?Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks for the replies,when I let go of the steering wheel it pulls some to the right.So to adjust the steering wheel to center you turn the rods up by the rubber boots?Thanks again.
loosen the outer tie rod locknuts and then spin the tie rods in or out to adjust.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There are flat ends up near the rubber boots for turning with a wrench.This is where I turn to center the steering wheel.I was turning there to adj. tie rods, I suppose that is why my steering wheel center changed.If I turn all the way clockwise will it eventually tighten up and then I can back them off to center st. wheel? What I'm trying to ask is, is the inner end of the tie-rod at risk of falling off because I turned that clockwise and counterclockwise to align wheels.Thanks....got it ,sometimes you have to be smarter than the bolt,not always easy for me.:cool2:

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
There are flat ends up near the rubber boots for turning with a wrench.This is where I turn to center the steering wheel.I was turning there to adj. tie rods, I suppose that is why my steering wheel center changed.If I turn all the way clockwise will it eventually tighten up and then I can back them off to center st. wheel? What I'm trying to ask is, is the inner end of the tie-rod at risk of falling off because I turned that clockwise and counterclockwise to align wheels.Thanks....got it ,sometimes you have to be smarter than the bolt,not always easy for me.:cool2:
You need to have a minimum of 1" threaded into the tie rod.

Assuming your toe adjustment is correct, to align the wheel, just drive the car straight (disregard the wheel position) and come to a slow stop, loosen both outer rod end lock nuts and turn one rod in and the other out depending on which way you need to move the steering wheel. Making sure that you turn both tie rods the same amount but in opposite directions until your wheel is straight. Drive it and check and readjust as needed.

One thing worth noting.....if your air pressures in your tires are not equal side to side, you will pull one way or the other and give you the impression your alignment is off. Start by checking to make sure both rears are the same and both fronts are the same so you aren't adjusting your steering for the wrong reason.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought a dragonfire steering wheel and was wondering if you need a puller to get the stock wheel off? I have the nut off but is seems tight. didn't want to beat on it to much if I need a puller
Thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
i just took mine off a couple days ago,all i had to do was hold the top and bottom of the wheel and wiggle it and it popped right off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts