Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on how to wire in a horn button into the steering wheel ?

Id like to wire the horn button up on the steering wheel for quick usage, on forestry trails in Aus many blind corners are encountered , so I'd like to have quick access to the horn as I approach said corners to alert fellow trail riders and possibly help avoid a collision.
And unless they are completely deaf they will hear the WOLO 619 I have ordered ( 123 DB ).
It is also a requirement for the local short course series I will be competing in next year, : ))).

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
me to I press it all the time thinking it would be cool if this worked , lol im sure there is a way

maybe use a grant gt steering wheel button and wiring ??

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea cool I'll look into that,cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Benzo

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Why not add it down near your shifter? Your right hand is usually there and could operate it like a forklift horn.
Oh I'm sure it could be done in the stock setup with a rotating brush and spring but you would have to get a wire into the column and not get it tangled, find a button that works and create a harness/relay....that would be a lot of work but cool if you could pull it off

·
Registered
367 Posts
Reactions: heavysledz

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice, I'm liking the pistol grip idea, but where to mount the button when I do install nos ,lol.

I'm determined to find a solution to the steering wheel button, wish me luck ...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Racecar drivers have a pushbutton switch on their steering wheel for the ptt button for their 2-way radio. They don't use a rotating brush but instead use an external coiled cable, similar to an old telephone cord or c.b. radio mic cord. Maybe you could make something like that work if you are determined. Personally, I think you are pissing in the wind but to each his own. I wish you luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
i made these up year or so ago. gives you all the buttons you could ever need. i also now have hardware to replace the momo pos horn buttons, allows you to run the same mil spec switch that the plate has. coil cord to the dash with a quick disconnect, works extremely well. will fit other steering wheels but was disigned to fit the momo model 80.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know if the spare constant power wire near the fuse box is actually fused down the line anywhere, thinking of using this to power the horn.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
u can use the wire from ur cig lighter if u want

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Not 100% sure, but can't imagine a supplied power source not being fused. Probably find it on the wiring diagram, but I'm too laz...I mean too tired to go look.:smile:

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
My friends and I had this same conversation, we thought about glow in the dark paint or somehow lighting it. I also wish the start button was lit

·
Registered
412 Posts
Um using the coiled cord, and button mounted in steering wheel right where my thumb sits most of the time.

Its a great heavy duty cord, Mostly used by drag cars to activate the Trans brakes, 2 step rpm limiter , and other stuff.

Actually have 2 mounted . one on each thumb ( cant tell ya what the other does ;-))

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm,maybe a second aux pedal for me too,hehe,
Kinda find it soothing stomping on pedals???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts