Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finding the DPS steering on max not enough for the rock crawling I do with my machine.
I know they consider it power steering but it does not function well in bigger rocks in my opinion. Rips the wheel from my hands many times and often happens when I need it the most. I have search and search and my model seems to fall in a hole for not much aftermarket. its a 2016 Canam maverick xds/dps 1000r.

Has anyone else used the superlift universal on a DPS model? I am trying to see what options there are before I go full custom on the steering.

I was thinking dual ended ram / electric hydraulics / orbital like I had in my race buggy. I have heard the battery is in the way for the superatv on this model but I can move it no problem just need to confirm it will fit in. I emailed superlift and received no answer back.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

My Ride here:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

Ciron

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am finding the DPS steering on max not enough for the rock crawling I do with my machine.
I know they consider it power steering but it does not function well in bigger rocks in my opinion. Rips the wheel from my hands many times and often happens when I need it the most. I have search and search and my model seems to fall in a hole for not much aftermarket. its a 2016 Canam maverick xds/dps 1000r.

Has anyone else used the superlift universal on a DPS model? I am trying to see what options there are before I go full custom on the steering.

I was thinking dual ended ram / electric hydraulics / orbital like I had in my race buggy. I have heard the battery is in the way for the superatv on this model but I can move it no problem just need to confirm it will fit in. I emailed superlift and received no answer back.

From your pic, I'm guessing you have a wider offset on the wheels, right? That will absolutely put a LOT more feedback through the power steering. There are aftermarket, higher-powered electrics, but if you want real power for the rock-crawling situations where there's a LOT of force on the front tires, you might need the hydraulics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From your pic, I'm guessing you have a wider offset on the wheels, right? That will absolutely put a LOT more feedback through the power steering. There are aftermarket, higher-powered electrics, but if you want real power for the rock-crawling situations where there's a LOT of force on the front tires, you might need the hydraulics.
Good call, I'm not running spacers but I do have a 1" wider offset in my rims to help with the wider stance / stability in the rocks. It did do it with my older stock rims too but I didn't notice it as much as I do now.

I was doing what's called the super man ledge here at greens mountain in Ontario which is a very steep drop off much longer than my Canam and when you reach the bottom as you drop down your supposed to throttle out to stop from flipping over but the wheels ripped right out of my hands and it sat on its nose with both wheels flopped on their sides. Luckily I didn't flip head over heals. I thought it broke but it didn't. Was able to drive out of it but scared me a bit on the steering incase I have more issues like this in the future which do cause me to flop or flip over.

Thanks for the welcome Hollywood and LBR.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have the same XDS suspension as you. Sort of :) CT raceworx full shock job with springs, CT Raceworks high clearance rear a-arms and front high clearance a-arms, 32 inch tires, front locker/visco delete.

I did a lot of rock crawling/mountain trails the last couple weekends. Including ones like you mentioned where the hill is so steep going down you have to keep hitting the throttle in spots keep from flipping over. I keep DPS on medium because of the locker and I want more feedback. Sometimes I have to put DPS to max. You have to hold the steering wheel super tight and man-handle it. What I have learned is that you have to use throttle/let off throttle to help steer over rocks and ruts. Its hard to near impossible to turn the wheels in some situations without using doing this. With the locker mine wants me to be off throttle to turn.

I would think your horrid XDS rear a-arms would be a huge issue on rocks, when I had my oem ones they were dangerous ! I got stuck on rocks non stop due to the foot long "hook"/gusset piece that hangs below them. Id get hooked on a rock and it would spin me sideways. They would grab everything going downhill also. My machine became sooooo much more capable after adding the Ct Raceworks gorgeous a-arms and having a large smooth a-arm to slide across rocks.

Where's your battery ? under the drivers seat, above the exhaust or above the drivers left leg ?

Welcome to the forum ! Hold the wheel tight as hell in thise stuations

1 - 7 of 7 Posts