Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just picked up a '13 XRS a couple weekends ago. I only have just over 14 miles on the machine. I noticed tonight after installing my EMP half windshield that when I moved the steering wheel all the way to lock to the right and then all the way to lock to the left there were a few popping/ clunking noises coming from the front end. GF was asleep so I couldn't have her turn the wheel and see what was causing it. Does anybody else's machine making a clunk/pop when moving the wheel lock to lock and not moving? I'm wondering if its the heim joints making the noise or the rack.

Thanks in advance.

PS. No bent tie rods and everything up front seemed tight when I grabbed and pulled on the rack rod through the bellow boot.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
make sure its all greased and ya have the GF turn while u look around

·
Registered
227 Posts
take off the boots and check/look at rack while turning steering wheel

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'll check tonight more. Have you guys tried it on pavement to see if yours does it? Or can you please check and lmk your findings. Curious if its the heims changing position when turning.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I had a sort of similar issue although I am running aftermarket rods and joints but found the bolt mounting the rod end to the spindle was loose and was causing a clunk......retorqued it and loctite and issue resolved.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Mine pops under/inside those boots.If I get my wife to turn it I can see something protrude from the passenger side boot. It hasn't given me a problem(bite my tongue,knock on wood). I did notice last weekend sometimes my wheel is straight n sometimes it's a little to the left while going straight. I do have big ole mud tires though so I was just thinking they had something to do with it

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Heavysledz I'll check the tie rod ends tonight to see if they're torqued to spec.

LBSwank yours does it while sitting still on pavement as well? In my automotive experience when a rack clunks in a similar manner under load the rack rod itself is popping away from the pinion gear. On a car there is regular ball joint tie rods though and not Heim joints.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You should NOT have anything protruding out from any boot. Are you talking about the CV boot? If so that will be a problem waiting to happen. If there is an opening in that boot you will have grease all over that area being slung around. Fix immediately!

·
Registered
502 Posts
It's the boot above the tierod. Part of the steering, only on the passenger side. But I also have a bent lower a arm on the same side so I'm sure it's something that needs to be addressed b4 our next ride. We rode for 8 hrs, a real bad a** ride too. Nobody broke anything..then 50' from camp site we r all racing back across a field in the middle of night n of corse the maverick is Smoking everybody so I'm in front n hit a ditch a 2' ditch needles to say bent tierod,bent lower a arm n something in side that boot above the tierod trying to poke out when I turn the wheel to the right. Fixed it that night rode all the next day.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
It's the boot above the tierod. Part of the steering, only on the passenger side. But I also have a bent lower a arm on the same side so I'm sure it's something that needs to be addressed b4 our next ride. We rode for 8 hrs, a real bad a** ride too. Nobody broke anything..then 50' from camp site we r all racing back across a field in the middle of night n of corse the maverick is Smoking everybody so I'm in front n hit a ditch a 2' ditch needles to say bent tierod,bent lower a arm n something in side that boot above the tierod trying to poke out when I turn the wheel to the right. Fixed it that night rode all the next day.
Ahh...now we get the whole story :wink: Yea...sounds like something is broken in there and should be looked at before you ride it again and get yourself stranded or worse...injured. I could just see you now flying down the trail at 70+ mph and you have no steering...not a good ending.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there anyway someone can try this on a stock setup to see if theirs does it as well?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've recently noticed mine doing it. It'll do it if it sets for awhile, I'll turn it all the way one direction hear a little pop then all the way other direction and pop. After doing that once it won't do it again until it sets for a couple days. I don't have a clue what it is. I installed super Atv power steering before I ever rode it so I don't know if it would've done it without it.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I just checked mine and it does not do it. I do not have power steering and I am running CT Racing's racing tie rod setup...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for checking for me fellas. Got a chance to have the GF turn the wheel while I checked everything out. Took off the drivers side inner plastic and checked the rack, steering u joints, rack mount, tie rods, and heims. What did it turn out to be?? Both sides rear most LCA bushing. I'm going to grease them and see if they get better but both driver and passenger side snapping like that with 14 miles on it is kind of ridiculous. We'll see what the dealer says.

Here's a vid of the clunk/snap. Sorry for the Shakey hands, just got home from the gym lol.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
yea, that doesn't sound good....

·
Registered
227 Posts
turnkey has the delrin bushings....I killed my bushings on my first real trail ride...but I aired the shit out of my mave and landed completly sideways and blew my tie rod and bushings....shit happens!! and if you look 2 the stock bushings they are so thin...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea, that doesn't sound good....
Yeah it's definitely binding and shifting in place. Sounds nastier than it is though.
turnkey has the delrin bushings....I killed my bushings on my first real trail ride...but I aired the shit out of my mave and landed completly sideways and blew my tie rod and bushings....shit happens!! and if you look 2 the stock bushings they are so thin...
Don't suppose you could post a link for those could ya? I checked their website but didn't see any listed.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Don't suppose you could post a link for those could ya? I checked their website but didn't see any listed.
Check out their Facebook page....they are on there until they get the webpage updated. scroll down a bit and you will see them...

https://www.facebook.com/TKUTV

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Excellent! Thanks guys! What in particular makes these bushings better than OEM? wider/thicker sleeve?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts