Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on my 2013 Maverick 1000r and I've got an electrical issue that I can't figure out. Driving it one day I got a warning for low voltage so I pulled it in and found there was a bad winding in the stator after ohming the leads out. I ordered a Caltric replacement stator and installed it in the system, connecting it back to the existing rectifier. Testing the voltage output after installation, I'm getting 15.1V from the rectifier when the motor is running. When I connect the rectifier to the system, I can no longer test the rectifier leads directly but the battery voltage is only at 12.4V or so. This slow drops if the system is idling. When driving and monitoring the battery, I get 12.5V running but whenever you come to a stop the voltage tanks. After driving for approximately 2 miles or so the check engine light comes on and you get a low voltage warning. If you rev it up more the light goes off but at low RPM's it comes back on. I saw it drop clear down to 8.5V at one point and we were barely able to get going again to make it home.

I had all accessories disconnected and headlights were off. We had brake lights and power to start. I had given the battery a fresh charge over night before testing it so the battery started with a full charge. Battery is less than 6 months old. My buddy has a 2016 CanAm and I checked his battery while running and it's at 14.9V making me think I'm having either a voltage drop issue or something in line after the rectifier causing a problem. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you load tested your battery?
No, I replaced it right at 6 months ago so I figured it was good but if you think that could be a problem I'll pull it and take it in to have it tested. I don't have a means of load testing it that I'm aware of.

Also, I we reading the wiring schematic to my CanAm last night and the positive wire leaving the rectifier connects to the positive side of the starter solenoid which has a direct wire to the positive side of the battery so there isn't anything in line of that wire that should cause a voltage drop. Is it possible to get the 15V discharge from the rectifier until put under a load? If that's the case I would think it could potentially be the rectifier but would rather not just buy parts and change them for nothing.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
In my opinion it is unlikely that the regulator is bad. The regulator could be bad, most cases they either work or they don't A
and being it is regulating voltage it is a safe bet it is good. I have tested batteries that are around 12.3 - 12.5 and as soon as load is introduced the voltage falls off dramatically. Age is not the only determining factor on battery health, cycle count and battery maintenance. A bad battery could have been the root cause of your stator failing in the first place. A internally shorted battery can place undue load on charging component. I would take to your favorite autoparts store they will do it for free.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my opinion it is unlikely that the regulator is bad. The regulator could be bad, most cases they either work or they don't A
and being it is regulating voltage it is a safe bet it is good. I have tested batteries that are around 12.3 - 12.5 and as soon as load is introduced the voltage falls off dramatically. Age is not the only determining factor on battery health, cycle count and battery maintenance. A bad battery could have been the root cause of your stator failing in the first place. A internally shorted battery can place undue load on charging component. I would take to your favorite autoparts store they will do it for free.
Thanks for the breakdown of the process, that makes sense to me. I'll pull it this weekend and take it in to have it tested and cross my fingers we can identify the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on my post before: Still not corrected.

So I pulled the battery out and actually found the negative terminal had cracked and was spreading apart, however it was still making a good connection. I took the battery in to have it tested and O'Reily said it was at 83% charge but was only putting out 150 CCA when rated for 300. They said without being at 100% charge they couldn't say for sure it was bad but the first appearance was there was an issue with the battery. Since it was an Interstate Battery and I purchased it last Sept/Oct, though it didn't get installed until December, I took it to Interstate to have them address it. Of course, since the terminal was cracked, they said I had put too much on it and caused the problem and they were unwilling to warranty anything regardless of it possibly having a bad cell in it. Though I'm frustrated about their service and opinion, I move on. :)

I bought a new battery for the CanAm from AutoZone by my house the next day. (Interstate had kept it to test it but they weren't open and I was tired of waiting). I installed it and tested voltage prior to running, I got 12.75V. When I fired up the CanAm I was getting 13.5V but it slowly crept up to 14.1V after revving it up a little bit. Cheers, I thought the problem was fixed. I had my gf take it for a drive around to really test it out while I followed her in my truck. She got to the exact same point we got to before and when she went to turn around, the voltage dropped back off to 12.5V while running. I can't get it to come above that now. Got it back in the garage and I tested the wiring for any possible grounding issues or a bad ground. The maximum resistance I found was 0.1 ohms from the rectifier wire to the negative terminal to the battery which I would expect a small amount of resistance through the wiring, ground connections and everything else.

I texted the rectifier again with the wires not connected, 15.3V output while running. The battery had 12.75V with the rectifier disconnected. When I connected the wiring to the rectifier again, my battery voltage crept up to 13.1V slowly but that's as high as it got. This was parked in the garage with the engine at idle. I'm expecting the voltage at the battery to be at 14.1V or higher while running. I also tested the stator output which was giving me about 40V AC @ 1500 ish RPM's and 72V AC @ about 4000 RPM on all 3 legs so I believe the stator test passes as well.

It's also important to note that I have a stereo, amp, and speaker system, additional lighting, and a whip light added to the CanAm but ALL accessory wires were disconnected from the battery during testing to see if maybe there was an issue with one of them.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss here entirely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Additional update:

After reading another forum, it was said that once the vehicle is started, you should be able to disconnect the battery from the system and the stator/regulator should be able to maintain the operation of the system. I started the unit up and tested the voltage at the battery while connected, 13.3V. I disconnected the positive terminal and the CanAm died right away. My thoughts on this indicate an issue with the charging system not outputting properly but I tested the stator voltage while running earlier and it was putting out the proper levels. My only other guess would be a bad regulator so I will order a new one of those and see if that will correct the problem.

Any thoughts or feedback are still super welcome :)

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track and its great that you keep the thread updated. Someday someone is going to benefit from your hard work!

Props to you. Tim

Reactions: Chiller316

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Appreciate you updating us on this. Kinda strange a regulator would produce voltage and slowy start falling off. To me it seems you have tested everything you could test. The only suspect thing left is the regulator, as you stated. On a side note hope you stick around on the forum here. You seem to very knowledgeable and thorough in your testing processes. Guys like myself could learn a thing or two from you.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Regulators are kind of like a fuel pump . It can test good and once it starts to warm up it starts to fail. Please keep us posted . You are doing a great job on tracking this down. This is the kind of posts that people learn from .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Final update: new voltage regulator seems to have fixed the problem

I received the new regulator in and installed it right away. The voltage while running shot up to 14.5V immediately and I let it idle for about 10 minutes in the drive and heat up while monitoring it. Unfortunately it's garage sale weekend in our area and the streets are crazy right now with people driving and parked all over so I took it out for about 5 minute quick drive around the neighborhood while watching a volt meter on it. I turned on all of the accessories I could to see how it did under a load and it never dropped below 13.98V. I'll have to wait til next week to get it out and really put it to the test but hopefully there won't be any more updates cuz I'll be out having too much fun again! :)

Thanks to everyone who provided input and support through all of this. It's been a huge learning experience but definitely worth it!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for wrapping up the thread with the resolution bud!! Someone in the future will benefit form your efforts, GREATLY appreciated. (y) (y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts