Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

241 - 260 of 295 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Why would a NA maverick turn over fast when warm then but a lower compression engine like a turbo struggle then . There is more to it than compression . I am about to turbocharge my 14 Maverick and one of the things that I have to do is put the low compression pistons in out of the turbo maverick or aftermarket turbo Pistons
I would assume BRP used the same starter that is in the commander and quads, in hopes it would work.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
There must be more things in play with the slow cranking that some have as some have added a big second battery and it didn't help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Why would a NA maverick turn over fast when warm then but a lower compression engine like a turbo struggle then . There is more to it than compression . I am about to turbocharge my 14 Maverick and one of the things that I have to do is put the low compression pistons in out of the turbo maverick or aftermarket turbo Pistons

I think MrRPM said it was the cams that was causing this slow start issue on the turbos....like you say if it was compression the N/A would or should be worse.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
And now goforit says his NA cranks slow when warm . Strange shit .
I don't want slow cranking once I turbo my 14 . More research I guess

·
Registered
6 Posts
And now goforit says his NA cranks slow when warm . Strange shit .
I don't want slow cranking once I turbo my 14 . More research I guess

I just ordered this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E283QC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Amazon.com: Odyssey PC925 Automotive and LTV Battery: Automotive
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VIXLRO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

and already have a stinger battery for the accessories.... I hope it will help...

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I'm not sure if dual battery's will help . Some guys with the slow crank have added the second battery and said they got only a small improvement .

·
Registered
190 Posts
Troy,

My dealer installed brand new BRP starter and no change. Mine has always started, never left me walking. Many have stated after 1,500 miles...problem disappears (I'm getting close and I hope they are right).

In regards to the compression issue during a cold start, it is my belief that an aluminum forged piston (as found in the stock xds turbo) will expand much more than the cast iron/steel cylinder, thus during a cold start = lower compression than when at operating temperatures. When I raced snowmobiles, we were always very careful not to "cold seize" our 2-stroke engines from not letting the cylinder warm up with the piston slowly (seen many failures from hitting them too quick) or warm engine = higher compression ratio. Any logic to my theory?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I understand about piston expanding but a cold piston or hot piston should not change the compression . It's the rings that hold the air pressure not the piston . I sure don't want to make mine into a turbo and get this unwanted Side effect

·
Registered
301 Posts
so would running 24 volts to the starter solve this problem....i would think 24 volts would give the starter the kick it needs when its hot. i know on our race bikes we have ran 24 volts to the starter for the high compression ..

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Troy,

My dealer installed brand new BRP starter at no change. Mine has always started, never left me walking. Many have stated after 1,500 miles...problem disappears (I'm getting close and I hope they are right).

In regards to the compression issue during a cold start, it is my belief that an aluminum forged piston (as found in the stock xds turbo) will expand much more than the cast iron/steel cylinder, thus during a cold start = lower compression than when at operating temperatures. When I raced snowmobiles, we were always very careful not to "cold seize" our 2-stroke engines from not letting the cylinder warm up with the piston slowly (seen many failures from hitting them too quick) or warm engine = higher compression ratio. Any logic to my theory?

Makes as much sense as any thing else till it's fixed and given the reason what was causing the slow start......I oval track raced back in the day...ran a 1977 Ski Doo Blizzard 440 s/m

and a 77 Ski Doo 340 RV....Ran up against Yamahas SRX's..Merc Twisters..and ZZ Arcticats...the Mercs were hard to beat on takeoff.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
so would running 24 volts to the starter solve this problem....i would think 24 volts would give the starter the kick it needs when its hot. i know on our race bikes we have ran 24 volts to the starter for the high compression ..

Pretty sure this has been tried on here with no success.

·
Administrator
2,357 Posts
24 volt would probably work, but one could also use a second, 3 post battery...they can provide 16V to the start circuit only and 12 volt for everything else....very popular for the quicker drag racing classes that need 12V for components, but has 16V for the 13:1 compressions, hot days, and quick turn-a-rounds toward end of eliminations.

The one downfall is having to charge the 16 volt system with a special charger, but the workaround to that should it not get recharged in time, is to wire in a switch for the 16 volt to revert back to the 12 volt system.....a simple 90° twist of a handle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Makes as much sense as any thing else till it's fixed and given the reason what was causing the slow start......I oval track raced back in the day...ran a 1977 Ski Doo Blizzard 440 s/m

and a 77 Ski Doo 340 RV....Ran up against Yamahas SRX's..Merc Twisters..and ZZ Arcticats...the Mercs were hard to beat on takeoff.
Yes, I agree the Sno Twisters were light and fast. I was 1989 High Point Champion in A Stock with MIRA on a Ski-doo Formula Plus. We also raced many enduro's including the I-500 Oval Race (we never won, best finish was a 5th and 7th place) but had lots of fun. I always thought the RV was sharp and always wanted one, settled for a '79 Blizzard 5500 my first brand new sled in high school.....the good ole days!

Sorry OP, got off topic.

Reactions: canamk

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Yes, I agree the Sno Twisters were light and fast. I was 1989 High Point Champion in A Stock with MIRA on a Ski-doo Formula Plus. We also raced many enduro's including the I-500 Oval Race (we never won, best finish was a 5th and 7th place) but had lots of fun. I always thought the RV was sharp and always wanted one, settled for a '79 Blizzard 5500 my first brand new sled in high school.....the good ole days!

Sorry OP, got off topic.

Cool!!!.....used my RV for my trailing machine also and added a 79 Blizzard 7500 for trailing because I also liked that body style and liquid cooling....Sorry for going off topic also but to respond

to a former racer from back in the day!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My xrs Turbo 2016 with 850km has the same problem, has slow start and one time not start with no data show in the dash.

Any solution???

241 - 260 of 295 Posts