Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as title says. Made a couple runs against a buddies commander then killed it to bs. Went to start it and nothing. Checked voltage on battery and solenoid and all was good. Took it straight back to the dealership and they got on it immediately. They also agreed it was the starter and looks like its shorting out internally. Sucks but thought I'd let y'all know its not only clutches blowing up. It sure was a fun 7 miles though!! Haha

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well here is number 3 for ya haha. Yeah it sucks but at least it didn't happen at a park or on a trip. IF I have to be positive about it haha

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Well here is number 3 for ya haha. Yeah it sucks but at least it didn't happen at a park or on a trip. IF I have to be positive about it haha
There is positive to come from everything... At least it is the same repeat problems for most people. It lets us all know what to look out for. I know this has been rehashed before on these forums...but as the list grows...we can add them together in our minds!

1: Clutch Any variant of failures contained in the clutch system (most likely will happen at some point with a stock clutch, No matter slipper washers are not..Long term its just not engineered for it!

2: Starter, either complete failure, or slow cranking that may lead to failure...there is a few documented cases on this forum alone of this happening.

3: Rear Upper control arm bushings deforming, possibly to heat, causing arm to smash to one side.

4: Loose CVT Outlet Hose or Coupler

5: Differential Seals Seeping

6: Tie rods, but not failing on their own, these need help from the owner to bend....but is a good idead to upgrade no matter what!

7: A Few Bead Lock Tire issues, legitamate complaints, beyond not torquing the wheels correctly

Im not bit&^% im just recapping. I love the machine....and will continue having fun with these things!! They just need a little massaging now and again ( and some upgrades)

Reactions: Bloke

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Would be a good idea for sure..:smile:

·
Registered
969 Posts
It would be nice to know the VIN numbers of the ones with starter failures. It appears they go out pretty quick if they are. I have 28 miles, so far it's still working, cranks slow though. I'm worried about it for sure.

·
Registered
417 Posts
HTML:
I should have took pics of my broke factory installed starter and the Denso replacement sorry guys. I went out for about 50k ride today and started it lots and the new starter is way faster than the first one was. I think if your starter is slow your playing with fire its gonna crap out on you at some time. Really between the two theres a big difference.

·
Registered
170 Posts
HTML:
I should have took pics of my broke factory installed starter and the Denso replacement sorry guys. I went out for about 50k ride today and started it lots and the new starter is way faster than the first one was. I think if your starter is slow your playing with fire its gonna crap out on you at some time. Really between the two theres a big difference.
Was the Denso a dealer replacement? If \ if not what is the part #?

·
Registered
417 Posts
The Denso is just what can am sent out of stock for warranty replacement. I think can am switched manufactures or specked a cheaper starter for the assembly line with these Mavs. Ive had three Can Am ATV two 800 and one 1000 they all sounded like my Mav does now starting? The original was slow to turn it over?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was the Denso a dealer replacement? If \ if not what is the part #?

I just got off the phone with my service dept and she said that there was no difference in the part numbers. Can am sent her the same exact starter that failed on my buggy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Go take a look at it. It may have the same part # but could be different run. If it looks exactly like the one that came out tell them find another one. I really think the one at manufacturing a lesser unit

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go take a look at it. It may have the same part # but could be different run. If it looks exactly like the one that came out tell them find another one. I really think the one at manufacturing a lesser unit

Alright. When we start doing the QSC and STM testing next week ill take a look and let ya know. He'll ill post a pic haha

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can someone post a video of their "slow" starter sound vs one that has been replaced or already has the DENSO? I think mine sounds fine, but I dont have anything to compare it to

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
ya if u can , post lil quick vid of a good starter starting

1 - 20 of 38 Posts