Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm liking them pretty well as is however trying to decide if I want my HP's cut to lighten them up. I guy close here does them and say's it takes about 5lb-6lb's off.
I may be defeating the need for a tough tire due to tree roots and branches in our dunes. Never ran a cut tire and looking for some feedback.
SS360 comp cut.jpg

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've never run cut paddles,,, or 360's. BUT,,, IMO, you seemed very happy with them AND they held up well. (per your requirement due to where you run) I'd leave them alone and enjoy the ride. (y)

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Really depends on your area. Never been up that way, so I can't say one way or the other. To me, lighter is better in Glamis, but the sand is different, and less trees. Do it, and if you're happy great. If not, well just wait until the next sale.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
456 Posts
Really depends on your area. Never been up that way, so I can't say one way or the other. To me, lighter is better in Glamis, but the sand is different, and less trees. Do it, and if you're happy great. If not, well just wait until the next sale.
There's a lot of truth to this. 360's work well in Florence where the sand is heavy and never really dries out. In St. Anthony at 6K feet you're going to want more tire.

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts
My opinion is that shaving a few pounds will gain some small performance gain. I'm not convinced that a small gaun makes much difference in everyday riding.

The toughness of the tire in an environment where that is a factor seems more of a gain than small bit of power.

Tim

·
Vendor
59 Posts
personally i wouldnt cut. i ran cut STUs at glamis and between tiny twigs and people leaving trash everywhere, they lasted one trip. pretty disappointing

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a lot of truth to this. 360's work well in Florence where the sand is heavy and never really dries out. In St. Anthony at 6K feet you're going to want more tire.
We were in some very fine soft sand at Coos Bay last week. A long arm car got high centered and dug himself in bad on top of a really steep razorback with his wife and young daughter. I got up and over it fast and let my back wheels catch the lip to hold me, I carry a light snow shovel and got out to help him where sand was up past my ankles. Those SS360's did extremely well in all conditions and once again was very impressed.

personally i wouldnt cut. i ran cut STUs at glamis and between tiny twigs and people leaving trash everywhere, they lasted one trip. pretty disappointing
Yeah, way to much wood in the sand all over to take a gamble so thinking I'll just leave them be.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
456 Posts
We were in some very fine soft sand at Coos Bay last week. A long arm car got high centered and dug himself in bad on top of a really steep razorback with his wife and young daughter. I got up and over it fast and let my back wheels catch the lip to hold me, I carry a light snow shovel and got out to help him where sand was up past my ankles. Those SS360's did extremely well in all conditions and once again was very impressed.

Yeah, way to much wood in the sand all over to take a gamble so thinking I'll just leave them be.
It's hard to argue with what works for you. My only point is be aware there are conditions those tires come up short and a 10% to 15% rotating mass reduction may be just enough. Coos Bay doesn't really have big dunes and you're at sea level. If you only ever plan on riding Oregon dunes then there's probably nothing to gain. I like my SS360s but found their limits, I'm still not going to upgrade them though. They're good enough for what I'm doing.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's hard to argue with what works for you. My only point is be aware there are conditions those tires come up short and a 10% to 15% rotating mass reduction may be just enough. Coos Bay doesn't really have big dunes and you're at sea level. If you only ever plan on riding Oregon dunes then there's probably nothing to gain. I like my SS360s but found their limits, I'm still not going to upgrade them though. They're good enough for what I'm doing.
Do you have the HP's?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
the ss360 makes a sweet front tire

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have thought about cutting my front SS360 but they work so good and they are tough. I worry about my comp cut STUs out back. I have over 800 miles in the Oregon dunes on this setup with no tire problems. All I like to run is the sand trails. Sticks and tree roots everywhere. One of my buddy did pop a SS360 rear tire this last weekend. He hit a concrete block and blew the sidewall out. Could not find one shop down there that would sell him one tire or even a pair. That sucked
My vote is to leave them alone.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have thought about cutting my front SS360 but they work so good and they are tough. I worry about my comp cut STUs out back. I have over 800 miles in the Oregon dunes on this setup with no tire problems. All I like to run is the sand trails. Sticks and tree roots everywhere. One of my buddy did pop a SS360 rear tire this last weekend. He hit a concrete block and blew the sidewall out. Could not find one shop down there that would sell him one tire or even a pair. That sucked
My vote is to leave them alone.
Yep, a lot of roots and sticks and we love running those trails and the coast guard road.

May I ask who sells them down there? That sure doesn't make sense if bought in pairs as 99.9% of people run different size with fronts vs rears.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Riding dirty atv rentals in Winchester Bay. 4 weeks ago we were down there and my buddy bought 2 set of system3 wheels and SS360 tires from them for him and his sons car. 4 weeks later we are back down riding at Coos and my buddy gets a flat so we run by there to buy a pair of tires, they said no we will only sell a whole set. So we got back in the truck and went to Steve's and they said the same thing. It was just weird...
So my buddy ran his stock bighorn for the rest of the weekend and bought a pair of tires off of Amazon.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
6lbs across all 4 tires? Or each. Seems a bit unpossible for 6lbs off 1 tire. 6 off 4 tires is hardly worth the time and effort other than to say ‘I lost 6 lbs and $75’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
6lbs across all 4 tires? Or each. Seems a bit unpossible for 6lbs off 1 tire. 6 off 4 tires is hardly worth the time and effort other than to say ‘I lost 6 lbs and $75’

I was told per tire, thinking it would be more like 4-5lbs
I'm leaning toward leaving them alone.

·
Registered
124 Posts
6lb off a 32 tire is not unrealistic, plus they cut the small paddles off too. When you cut a tires it's a piece 3/4 wide, 4-8in long, 3/16-1/4 thick. Now there about 200 cuts on that tire. Them piece add up quick.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Oh, I thought they were just trimming the paddles off, didn’t think about them skimming the carcass as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts