Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the trick to adjusting the springs? I got the front wheels off the ground, loosened the top ring and started turning the spring assembly.

The whole thing just turns and doesn’t move down. Do I need to compress the springs? The spanner tool is worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
I just held the spring with my hand and used spanner wrench . Wd40 is your friend. Don’t be afraid to use it. Aftermarket wrenches do work better but oem will work just fine .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just held the spring with my hand and used spanner wrench . Wd40 is your friend. Don’t be afraid to use it. Aftermarket wrenches do work better but oem will work just fine .
I'll have to try again. That spanner wrench had no room to move. This is on the front. Maybe I'll try using a pipe wrench or compressing the rings. I just want to get the front to 3". It's around 2 right now.

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
I adjust stock Spring’s and finally replace with shock therapy Springs. Oem spanner wrench did it all

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
So what is the trick to adjusting the springs? I got the front wheels off the ground, loosened the top ring and started turning the spring assembly.

The whole thing just turns and doesn’t move down. Do I need to compress the springs? The spanner tool is worthless.

get the shock wrenches from utv inc very nice adjuster wrenches for 20.00 a set x3 takes both the 3.0 and the 2.5 well worth the cost

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
You guys make life difficult. I use the Andy WSTP (who stands to pee) method. strap springs down with the cheap motorcycle straps with no hook ends and then lift car off ground with a jack. Kinda like this video

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yes, do what Mega said. Also, make sure the threads are clean and lubed. Use an air gun, wire brush, or whatever you want to clean them.

You should be able to turn them by hand if prepped right.

2018.5 X3 Max XRS // Grove Fabworks, Aftermarket Assassins, Dynojet, CT front end, CA Tech, UMP, HSP, Rugged, Sandcraft, blah blah...

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Mega's video pretty much sum's it up (careful DuneFreak using the word "lubed" when responding to one of Mega's posts, just an FYI).

Just watched one of Brandon's video's on the "optimum" suspension settings for the new 2020's. I'm certain this is just one of 50 different opinions. I'm just playing the messenger, please don't shoot the messenger (cause I shoot back)

Hope that helps......

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Mega's video pretty much sum's it up (careful DuneFreak using the word "lubed" when responding to one of Mega's posts, just an FYI).

Just watched one of Brandon's video's on the "optimum" suspension settings for the new 2020's. I'm certain this is just one of 50 different opinions. I'm just playing the messenger, please don't shoot the messenger (cause I shoot back)

Hope that helps......
but mega said you mis most of the time

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well. No luck yet adjusting the front shocks.

Will these help me with the adjustment or should I just rent a spring compressor? Lock nut won’t budge!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well. No luck yet adjusting the front shocks.

Will these help me with the adjustment or should I just rent a spring compressor? Lock nut won’t budge!

They would but have you tried a flathead screwdriver and a hammer?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh. Yeah. I was able to loosen the top lock but with the hammer. The bottom one is what I was having trouble with.

I just re read the responses and think I understand now. Going to strap down the springs while the x3 is on the ground with the springs compressed THEN jack it up. Makes more sense now. Hopefully the stock spanner wrench works using this method.

·
Registered
403 Posts
With the car off the ground using your hands grab the main lower spring and just spin the whole thing. As dunefreak mentioned make sure the threads are clean or it makes it 10xs harder.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts